SaltCritters.com

Lostmindedv's Biocube HQI!

lostmindedv

lostmindedv

For the chaeto, I'm going to run a 12 hour reverse cycle for lighting. For lighting I am using the Underwater 10W Single Light from Intank. I've read on nano-reef the 12 hour reverse cycle is the best for growth of the chaeto and maintaing PH, so that's why I'm going to use that method.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
lostmindedv

I've noticed that when I feed my fish none of them seem to like the Omega One Marine Flakes with Garlic, they only eat the Ocean Nutrition Flakes (Prime Reef Flakes and Formula Two Flakes). I thought the Garlic would make the fish favor the Omega One flakes, but I guess not.

lostmindedv

My birthday is later this month and I was thinking of asking the family for money to help get the ReefKeeper Elite w/Net sometime soon. I see that the ReefKeeper is able to be an ATO as well, but I already have a JBJ ATO. Should I keep the JBJ ATO or just use the ReefKeeper? Is the ReefKeeper any reliable as an ATO?

altolamprologus
My birthday is later this month and I was thinking of asking the family for money to help get the ReefKeeper Elite w/Net sometime soon. I see that the ReefKeeper is able to be an ATO as well, but I already have a JBJ ATO. Should I keep the JBJ ATO or just use the ReefKeeper? Is the ReefKeeper any reliable as an ATO?

I have no idea :D But I was just curious what day your Bday is, mine is later this month too

lostmindedv
I have no idea :D But I was just curious what day your Bday is, mine is later this month too

Mine is the 23rd :) What about yours?

lostmindedv

Well today I added a Yellow Watchman Goby :) So far he is doing fine, he slowly been moving around the tank. My clownfish has left him alone which is good, no need for the extra stress. Below are some pictures:

Sorry if they are a little dark, I have the tank lights off since I just introduced him. I'll get some nicer ones tomorrow when the lights are back on.

lostmindedv

Having some trouble with my chaeto. I went to do the weekly flip of my chaeto and noticed that some of it is brown. Should I remove the brown part of it?

My chaeto ball is still small, doesn't seem like it has grown much since I got it and now that it's browning I'm thinking Stevie T's light is powerful enough? Anyone have any ideas?

Having some trouble with my chaeto. I went to do the weekly flip of my chaeto and noticed that some of it is brown. Should I remove the brown part of it?

My chaeto ball is still small, doesn't seem like it has grown much since I got it and now that it's browning I'm thinking Stevie T's light is powerful enough? Anyone have any ideas?

put the light further down. as in, put it inside the chaeto ball, or right on it. in the pic it looks like it is quite elevated above the chaeto. it's not a directional light. it does not cast light in a concentrated area so stick it damn near inside the thing.

lostmindedv
put the light further down. as in, put it inside the chaeto ball, or right on it. in the pic it looks like it is quite elevated above the chaeto. it's not a directional light. it does not cast light in a concentrated area so stick it damn near inside the thing.

I'll do that, but will the extra heat from the bulb have any bad effects on the chaeto?

altolamprologus
I'll do that, but will the extra heat from the bulb have any bad effects on the chaeto?

Not at all. I have the exact same setup and my chaeto grows like crazy directly touching the light

lostmindedv
Not at all. I have the exact same setup and my chaeto grows like crazy directly touching the light

Ok, great! I'll make sure to adjust the light then!

hey benfiquista,

Not sure if thats spelt right lol! I had a biocube HQI as well but had to part with it due to work scheduling.

Great tank... I did a little mod with some fans, if you have heat issue's let me know ill send you the link.

sporting1 - benfica 0

im just teasing best of luck with the tank and nice to see some portugese people out here.

lostmindedv
hey benfiquista,

Not sure if thats spelt right lol! I had a biocube HQI as well but had to part with it due to work scheduling.

Great tank... I did a little mod with some fans, if you have heat issue's let me know ill send you the link.

sporting1 - benfica 0

im just teasing best of luck with the tank and nice to see some portugese people out here.

I'm sorry to hear that :/ Do you end up getting a smaller tank? Thanks for the tip, but so far I haven't had any trouble with heat. If I end up running into some problems I'll definitely ask for that link.

We'll get you next time ;) benfiquista!!!!

I'm sorry to hear that :/ Do you end up getting a smaller tank? Thanks for the tip, but so far I haven't had any trouble with heat. If I end up running into some problems I'll definitely ask for that link.

We'll get you next time ;) benfiquista!!!!

Yeah, it was a crappy feeling but I think it was the right thing to do. I'm thinking of getting back in the hobby but might go with a rsm130d that I would like to retro fit with rapid led kit. We'll see what the wife thinks :D

Cheers!

Nuno

lostmindedv

By the time I'm doing with this semester of college my tank will have been running for about 3 months. I would like to get into corals during the summer to see how I handle the challenge. I'd obviously like to start with "beginner corals" before I jump into anything that I can't handle. I think I'm going to start off with the basics:

• Green Star Polyps
  • Torch Coral
  • Zoas

Do you think with those three corals in my tank my lighting would be enough? On most websites it says the lighting requirements for each of those are "moderate". Is 150W MH lighting considered moderate? Also, with those three do you think I would need to does or would weekly water changes be enough?

Thanks.

altolamprologus
By the time I'm doing with this semester of college my tank will have been running for about 3 months. I would like to get into corals during the summer to see how I handle the challenge. I'd obviously like to start with "beginner corals" before I jump into anything that I can't handle. I think I'm going to start off with the basics:

• Green Star Polyps
  • Torch Coral
  • Zoas

Do you think with those three corals in my tank my lighting would be enough? On most websites it says the lighting requirements for each of those are "moderate". Is 150W MH lighting considered moderate? Also, with those three do you think I would need to does or would weekly water changes be enough?

Thanks.

Your light is more than enough for those corals and there is no need to dose. You would not see even the the slightest dip in calcium or alkalinity from adding those.

lostmindedv
Your light is more than enough for those corals and there is no need to dose. You would not see even the the slightest dip in calcium or alkalinity from adding those.

Okay, thanks for the super fast reply. Hopefully my clown fish will host the Green Torch :) and the coral will add some nice color to the tank. Can't wait for the semester to end -_-

lostmindedv

I would love to add a Banggai Cardinalfish (tank bred from inland aquatics) to my tank in May when I finish school. Do you think that would be late because of my clownfish establishing its territory? I feel like it would be :/

Be careful that the paper towel on the front of the tank under the algae scrubber doesn't catch on fire! That almost happened to me one time.

lostmindedv
Be careful that the paper towel on the front of the tank under the algae scrubber doesn't catch on fire! That almost happened to me one time.

Hahaha it's not there anymore. The inside of the algae scrubber got wet so I put a paper towel there for a little to dry it out because it was leaving water streaks. I make sure nothing there's nothing like that around the light, it gets way too hot.

altolamprologus
I would love to add a Banggai Cardinalfish (tank bred from inland aquatics) to my tank in May when I finish school. Do you think that would be late because of my clownfish establishing its territory? I feel like it would be :/

It would be fine. Bangaiis tend to hang out in caves or under powerheads and should be able to stay out of the clown's territory no problem.

lostmindedv

Just incase anyone was wondering about the AquaticLife Internal Mini Protein Skimmer 115 and what kind of skimmate it pulls here is a picture:

That's after a week or so. Hope it helps anyone out there thinking of getting one for their Biocube.

Archived