Cultivated Reef

Sumps or refugiums

Blennylover14

Blennylover14

Wondering what your thoughts are on sumps or refugiums on nano tanks, are they really needed? I dont think they make an impact really, as supposed to them on a large tank. I have my 20 gallon running perfectly with no sump or filter, only bubbles and current. What's your thought?

Turn off the bubbles.....they piss off corals lol. Sumps add water volume and the ability to hide equipment and can house a refugium...

Turn off the bubbles.....they piss off corals lol. Sumps add water volume and the ability to hide equipment and can house a refugium...

This.

That being said there is no problem running without one if you are diligent. My thirty gallon has neither a skimmer nor a sump and it is perfectly healthy. I will eventually add a sump though because it is easier to implement a gravity type ATO with a float switch and a good place to hide a heater.

idontwan2know

They are not necessary, because with the small volume of water in nano tanks you can accomplish the required nutrient export via water changes.

But there's no reason to say that they don't make an impact.

It's the same thing with skimmers. Are they necessary for a nano tank? No. Are they beneficial? Yes.

Archived