4 replies to this topic

Blennylover14

Blennylover14

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 386 posts
  • Joined 24 Feb 2012
  • Colorado

Wondering what your thoughts are on sumps or refugiums on nano tanks, are they really needed? I dont think they make an impact really, as supposed to them on a large tank. I have my 20 gallon running perfectly with no sump or filter, only bubbles and current. What's your thought?

TheKleinReef

TheKleinReef

Name's Roger, Nice to Meet You

• Members
  • 3,314 posts
  • Joined 26 Nov 2011
  • Streamwood, Illinois
they add stability, more water volume, and more filtration.
i'm thinking about modding an aquaclear for my 2.5 pico reef that i'm building

DSLR PHOTO THREAD

FLICKR ACCOUNT

INSTAGRAM

"That which we manifest is before us."

Garth Stein

Deckoz2302

Deckoz2302

Stony Reefer

• Members
  • 6,087 posts
  • Joined 29 Aug 2011
  • Raleigh, North Carolina
Turn off the bubbles.....they piss off corals lol. Sumps add water volume and the ability to hide equipment and can house a refugium...

OceanariumProject_zpsdcf024fc.jpg

Cintax

Cintax

Canadian Reefer

• Members
  • 900 posts
  • Joined 05 Jul 2011
  • Ontario, Canada

Turn off the bubbles.....they piss off corals lol. Sumps add water volume and the ability to hide equipment and can house a refugium...

This.

That being said there is no problem running without one if you are diligent. My thirty gallon has neither a skimmer nor a sump and it is perfectly healthy. I will eventually add a sump though because it is easier to implement a gravity type ATO with a float switch and a good place to hide a heater.

idontwan2know

idontwan2know

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 49 posts
  • Joined 07 Feb 2012
They are not necessary, because with the small volume of water in nano tanks you can accomplish the required nutrient export via water changes.

But there's no reason to say that they don't make an impact.

It's the same thing with skimmers. Are they necessary for a nano tank? No. Are they beneficial? Yes.