Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Unbiased Reef Cleaners Review

TheDoctor

Hi so I just want to let everyone know that even though many of you have had positive experiences with John from Reef Cleaners, including my brother, I have had nothing close to a stellar experience with Reef Cleaners. I have ordered an assortment of snails and crabs for my CUC for my 20L; among the order were 10 blue leg hermit crabs, pods, hermit crab shells, and a fighting conch. I received 2 blue legs, a few pods, no large/medium hermit crab shells, and my fighting conch died in two days.

Now the rest of my order did survive and was delivered, but my main reason for ordering online was the specific purpose of not having to pay around $1.50 per each blue leg at my LFS. It was an extremely disappointing experience especially after all the great reviews I had heard from you all on nano reef, and from my brothers own prior experience.

I contacted him in order to talk about a refund about the missing items, and he did respond promptly. When telling him about the problem he seemed to try to avoid the fact that I was missing 8 of my 10 hermit crabs, the bulk of my order. After emailing him numerous times he said that the cost of the missing items and the shipping would be refunded. Now I expected that the cost of shipping would be refunded, the standard $28.00 shipping that anyone would pay if they ordered one shipping expedited item. I was wrong, I received $8.00 refund.

It was a frustrating experience that delayed my ability to establish my tank which was the worst part of all. Now he might deny this is he sees it, but I kept the pictures and emails of us talking which would serve as proof. But i'm not that interested in exposing him, i'm just interested in making sure someone else doesn't share the same experience as me.

Happy Reefing!!

That is really surprising to me that you got less than ordered.... When I ordered from him, I got about 20 extra snails I didn't order. I even got a bag of hermits I that was not in my order. My pods did not make the trip but stuff happens. Id have to see the two crabs in the bag, with an order sheet of ten to believe this one.

C.I._Reefer
That is really surprising to me that you got less than ordered.... When I ordered from him, I got about 20 extra snails I didn't order. I even got a bag of hermits I that was not in my order. My pods did not make the trip but stuff happens. Id have to see the two crabs in the bag, with an order sheet of ten to believe this one.

Yeah +1.

I have ordered 6 or 7 different species and always got at least 2 or 3 extra of everything, except dwarf ceriths i got like 50 extra of those. This is definately the exception not the rule. I'm skeptical but i suppose its not like you have any real reason to be dishonest. I hope john responds here, I'm curious to hear his explanation.

johnmaloney

Sorry to hear about the missing hermits, a refund for them and pro-rated shipping should have been issued., in this case the order amount was $3, and we rounded up the pro-rated shipping to $5 for a total of a $8 refund, I think the actual math was $6 something. Since you have to pay $1.50 to replace them, we can raise the refund to $12, but will not be able to offer that in the future b/c of varying prices around the country. I do apologize when mistakes are made it is annoying I know, but on the other hand shipping runs us on average $43 per box and we only charge $28 when we charge for Express. We can't pay $43 to send 8 hermit crabs and stay in business at our current prices long, what we do offer is a refund for the items and the shipping attributable to the items instead of a credit or something like that. We will add to the refund already issued, but unfortunately cannot make that exception to our policy again. If you would like different policies to apply to your future orders just let us know prior to shipping, we can usually work out better policies if you cover actual cost of shipping.

Also in dealing with John myself. I have found that he is the best and fairest when it comes to customer service. I think that he is also being more than fair with you as well. I will defiantly be ordering from him again.

When I made my last order with reefcleaners I was also missing some porcelain crabs I had ordered. John immediately gave me a refund for the crabs and part of my shipping. I was extremely impressed because no one out there refunds shipping costs.

things happen i could see mistakes happening from time to time. and very rarely with John. i'm looking forward with yet another order i've got for over $250 worth of cuc i'm excited to say the least! never had anything gone wrong when dealing with ReefCleaners.

I've had 4 orders with John so far, the only problem I noticed was USPS being slow. John almost always gives way more than what you order which really makes opening the box a lot of fun :)

Sorry to hear about the missing hermits, a refund for them and pro-rated shipping should have been issued., in this case the order amount was $3, and we rounded up the pro-rated shipping to $5 for a total of a $8 refund, I think the actual math was $6 something. Since you have to pay $1.50 to replace them, we can raise the refund to $12, but will not be able to offer that in the future b/c of varying prices around the country. I do apologize when mistakes are made it is annoying I know, but on the other hand shipping runs us on average $43 per box and we only charge $28 when we charge for Express. We can't pay $43 to send 8 hermit crabs and stay in business at our current prices long, what we do offer is a refund for the items and the shipping attributable to the items instead of a credit or something like that. We will add to the refund already issued, but unfortunately cannot make that exception to our policy again. If you would like different policies to apply to your future orders just let us know prior to shipping, we can usually work out better policies if you cover actual cost of shipping.

So then you lose money on any order under 17 prior to shipping? Since you pay $43 for shipping and charge $28.

This has nothing to do with the fact that I didn't get what I ordered and was told I would be "refunded shipping" not "refunded shipping on only the crabs cost to ship" much different meanings.

Anyone who cares about the conversation;

On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 10:07 PM, WILLIAM PAUL <wvp5045@psu.edu> wrote:

Thanks for the information. And I appreciate the refunds I'll look for them on my credit card.

-William Paul.

On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 09:58 PM, "John Maloney / Reef Cleaners" <reefcleaners@gmail.com> wrote:

We will issue a refund for the hermit and the shipping, the crab will be fine they drop their arms when handled, that is how they get the name porcelain crabs they will regrow one. There is enough pods to seed your aquarium with a range of zooplankton and refuigum shrimp etc...

On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 8:42 PM, WILLIAM PAUL <wvp5045@psu.edu> wrote:

I am still curious about the lack of 7 hermit crabs and the one armed porcelain crab. Will there be a refund on those as well? I personally want what I order as I don't plan on paying a second $30 shipping to get what I had ordered. I ordered that amount so I wouldn't have to get a second order or so I wouldn't have to go spend an extreme amount at my LFS for hermit crabs. And the conch has seemed to start moving which is a good thing. How many pods were in the bag for $10, not exactly a exorbitant amount from what I could tell.

Please get back to me about the lack of 7 hermit crabs and the one armed porcelain crab. As I payed for a crab assuming it would have two arms.

Thanks,

-Will.

On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 07:55 PM, Reef cleaners <reefcleaners@gmail.com> wrote:

The shrimp are in the pods bag. A refund for the shells should have posted, I will see what is going on there. Let me know if the conch pulls through, it is a good sign that he isnt slumped put of the shell, it is easy to tell with them because they fall out when dead.

Sent from my iPod

Honestly i'm not here to argue with anyone or to debate if he would have gas under a dollar a gallon. I'm just here to say that I had an unpleasant experience with him where I didn't receive my full order, and didn't get the refund he told me.

P.S. He is a mortal and he can make mistakes! But he will not accept accountability and no one believes me...

Good day,

Happy reefing =]

Best of luck to all of you.

• 2 weeks later...

he is refunding you enough money to go to your LFS and buy 7 hermits at $1.50 each.

That should be good enough to make up for the mistake.

my LFS sells hermits 10 for $10.

John sells it online for 0.45 a pop

1. Probably want to edit the post to remove your email address.

2. I am going to PSU for grad school :P

3. I don't think anyone is accusing you of being a flat out liar - just stating that based on their experiences they can't believe such a mistake would occur.

4. I think you're getting really great customer service considering. I wish I got that kind of service every time I spent a few bucks....

FYI- I have never ordered from John so I have no dog in this fight, but it seems like he's trying his best to make right on a wrong. That says a lot about a vendor.... and makes me want to order from him based on the service he's offering you after his mistake!

What's up with the title dude... "unbiased"

What makes it unbiased? Are you implying that the ridiculous amount of positive feedback is a result of some personal bias or something? He's got outstanding feedback for one reason, excellent customer service.

You got refunded the market rate for your hermits, shells, and conch right? So are you out anything?

John, why would you refund partial shipping? That's just too nice man. I would have just refunded the missing items. He still got his other stuff.

Your a better man than me.

LOL at wanting a full shipping refund for $3.60 in hermit crabs.

Archived