ReefCleaners.org

Markushka's DIY < 3g pico

Markushka

bottom pane will be here some time next week. hopefully tues but i dunno. I'm not worried about pressure affecting any of the glass, its 1/4" thick and the water volume in here is very small.

I picked up some window tint today, and I'm going to use it to tint out the glass. I hope 20% will be dark enough. I may even tint out my 46.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
gearhead364

I used limo tint on the back of my Pico and ac 70, you cant see a thing. this is an assume concept cant wait to see it wet! :D

progress! the glass lady finally got around to cutting my glass <.< I should have it on Tuesday. :D I also ordered my LEDs off ebay, those should be in soon too. maybe I can finally get water in here.

135, but I haven't measured it yet. my buddy has had it for a year or so, and just decided that he wasn't going to set it up.

I really wanted to post some more recent shots, but I'm waiting for my friend to bring his dslr up and that might not be soon.

but here are some shots i took on my phone during curing / cleaning a week or so back.

IMG_0075.jpg

IMG_0087.jpg

and since i'm posting pics this is what I have waiting for me this summer at home. B), its not quite so pico...

IMG_0072%20%282%29.jpg

also, I got my leds in from china today omgomgomg i'm gonna be putting together a fixture for them this weekend hopefully.

but classes end the 30th so realistically it'll be done sometime after I go home the 1st.

Markushka

There has been progress! the tank was moved home, and now its sitting on my desk all filled and running. pics will be coming, there is soo much more yet to do tho.

Markushka

wait no more!

DSC_0358.JPG

I need to work on that background. not quite as black as I'd like it.

DSC_0361.JPG

chillin'

some cool shots from leak testing a few days back:

DSC_0355.JPG

DSC_0353.JPG

I'm not sure how much I like the new tilted back yet. my desk is uneven so I needed to lower the water level in the tank. but I feel this is only a temp solution. I'm thinking plexiglass with teeth, maybe. Or cutting this glass pane down a bit. I could always just find a level desk but that would be too much to ask for lol.

• 2 weeks later...

yeah, it started as a finger nail sized clipping about 2 or 3 years ago. One of my favorite pieces that I'm keeping from my 46.

yeah the shrimp is doing awesome! He's started coming out more. I'm thinking tomorrow is a good day to cut some acrylic.

gonzalez78

Wow love the tank just got a few questions.

1. what kind of filtration are you using?

2. Do you have any pics of the lighting enclosure?

Just looking for some ideas for my 2.5 aio pico i have laying around my room.

Thanks

Just added a DIY acrylic overflow, pics tonight after cpr class :/ hopefully there won't be any leaks.

for filtration, I'm toying with the idea of putting that black sponge in the fts vertically in front of the overflow for mechanical filtration, and then there's the sump. I'm thinking of doing a fuge / sump with a few baffles between the two but I'm not sure yet.

I'm still working on the lights, real ghetto atm, I have conflicting Ideas with how I want to enclose the GU10s. I'm torn between 2 pendants or a sleeker single fixture.

I am planning on staying BB atm, It was conceived as a tank that could be easily dismantled, moved and reassembled. Adding sand would just throw the system out of wack if I had to move it. I may however change my mind because I do have a location for it for the next 12 months.

Archived