Cultivated Reef

Official 3 and Under Pico Contest!

dallasprstn

C.I._Reefer
I am considering a 2.5 gallon AIO which could have the filter area drilled out and ran to a 1 gallon sump. Is this setup acceptable should I choose to go that route?

Yes, that is fine. Sorry for the smartass remark, it just seemed you were trolling. Im sure you can understand. I hope to see you in the contest, as obviously, we are all mostly in it for the fun of it :)

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Define "ultra shallow."

5"?

Yeah, I was thinking about something with ~4" of water above the sand line. Not sure if that's going to happen. Father-in-law was admitted to the hospital last night over what appears to be gallstones/gallbladder infection. Looks like he'll be ok in the long run which is good, we didn't know what was going on yesterday and cancer I think was at the back of everyone's mind. I'm going to end up at the hospital most of the day today, so won't have the time this weekend I thought I would to sit and plat with CAD to work out the tank.

shaneandjohn

Is it possible to get a thread designated to the contest. There is the Solana owners thread, the Bio Cube thread , Even designated Lighting owners threads. There are so many entries, some are in the Pico forum, some in members showcase forum, and some even tried posted in the general forum. I think it would be good if all were located in the same spot. I like to look and see how everyone is doing and what their plans are, but it's hard to follow them all when they are spread all over Nano reefs!!

If I subscribe to them all, and get e- mail alerts to them all, then I spend to much time just sifting through my InBox.

It would be great to just go the the 3 gallon contest thread, open it up, and follow everyone's progress.

IDK. It's just a thought. What do you guys think? Or maybe I Just have more than time than most people do right now when it comes to reading here are Nano Reefs.

Recovering from Knee replacement and I am not so mobile,so I spend a lot of time with my leg propped up. Nano Reefs has been a great source of entertainment for me, And this Contest has given me something to research and enjoy. It is a great time filler and something for me to do to keep my mind occupied.

Thank you for your thoughts and ideas when it comes to this!!!!

Is it possible to get a thread designated to the contest. There is the Solana owners thread, the Bio Cube thread , Even designated Lighting owners threads. There are so many entries, some are in the Pico forum, some in members showcase forum, and some even tried posted in the general forum. I think it would be good if all were located in the same spot. I like to look and see how everyone is doing and what their plans are, but it's hard to follow them all when they are spread all over Nano reefs!!

If I subscribe to them all, and get e- mail alerts to them all, then I spend to much time just sifting through my InBox.

It would be great to just go the the 3 gallon contest thread, open it up, and follow everyone's progress.

IDK. It's just a thought. What do you guys think? Or maybe I Just have more than time than most people do right now when it comes to reading here are Nano Reefs.

Thank you for your thoughts and ideas when it comes to this!!!!

I think he is gonna make all of our names clickable here on this thread. As in a hyper link i think its called :P

dallasprstn

no worries, I'm getting all the hyperlinks worked out, later this week you should be able to click on anyone in the participants list and it will take you right to their thread!

So you can have water before the 1st, but no livestock? What about hitchhikers on liverock? Because the rock I'm wanting to use, some are covered by mushrooms/kenya tree/zoas. Would I have to wait 'till the 1st to put them in?

Would a tank of 12" by 12" by 5" be acceptable? Volumetrically it's 3.11 gallons but the water line would be a half inch from the top, giving an actual water volume of 2.8 gallons (not accounting for sand, rock, etc.).

So you can have water before the 1st, but no livestock? What about hitchhikers on liverock? Because the rock I'm wanting to use, some are covered by mushrooms/kenya tree/zoas. Would I have to wait 'till the 1st to put them in?

Dang, where do I get live rock like that? I dunno, thats an awful lot of livestock to consider hitchhikers...PM dallasprstn, but I want to say probably not ok.

Would a tank of 12" by 12" by 5" be acceptable? Volumetrically it's 3.11 gallons but the water line would be a half inch from the top, giving an actual water volume of 2.8 gallons (not accounting for sand, rock, etc.).

Should be fine as long as the water level is 3 gallons or less

I haven't started cycling yet, so I could put in a different rock and then switch it out for the others on the first if I need too.

dallasprstn
I haven't started cycling yet, so I could put in a different rock and then switch it out for the others on the first if I need too.

just put in the other rock, those hitchhikers are sometimes called livestock. ;)

that'd be fine, would you like me to put you on the participants list?

that'd be fine, would you like me to put you on the participants list?

No, not yet, I need to figure out what costs are involved with the development of my idea. I'll let you know if I plan to enter. Right now getting my motorcycle reassembled is taking priority in terms of the 'free cash' portion of my budget.

dallasprstn
No, not yet, I need to figure out what costs are involved with the development of my idea. I'll let you know if I plan to enter. Right now getting my motorcycle reassembled is taking priority in terms of the 'free cash' portion of my budget.

sounds good, just let me know if you end up joining. :happy:

I am so impatient with this! I want to add livestock!! 14 more days!!

same here man, and my tank hasn't even seen saltwater yet! :P

dallasprstn

Hyperlinks are now open for business!

for those who don't have a hyperlink, i either couldn't find your thread or it doesn't exist! so start a thread now, or post the link to yours here so i can add your hyperlink.

dallas. :happy:

shaneandjohn

Thank you for setting up the Hyperlinks. This will sure make watching everyone's progress a lot easier for me!

It is taking forever for the 1st to get here. I have so many stocking ideas and plans for my tank, I will probably start fragging some corals from my main tank this week. Also, I am going to the Marine Aquarium Expo on the 31st. I hope I can find some good stuff there too

Okay, so now that the ruled have been fully clarified, I now submit my entry.

4uywyf.jpg

Thread will start shortly.

[/qu

For real? :o

Islandoftiki

4uywyf.jpg

Well, that's just brilliant.

If anybody is going to one-up that, they're going to have to find a hob filter small enough for a shot glass!

4uywyf.jpg

ummmmm, that may break the rule of : sump/filter no larger than display :lol:

Archived