ReefCleaners.org

Official 3 and Under Pico Contest!

dallasprstn

Whoa hoo!!!

I know, right?! WooHoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lol...and I'm not even an contestant! I've been spending the last hour tracking down people's contest threads and subscribing to them with a weekly email...lol...Once a week I'm gonna get slammed and have to read all these updates to the tanks, but man, it's just inspiring!

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
C.I._Reefer
I know, right?! WooHoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lol...and I'm not even an contestant! I've been spending the last hour tracking down people's contest threads and subscribing to them with a weekly email...lol...Once a week I'm gonna get slammed and have to read all these updates to the tanks, but man, it's just inspiring!

I'm sitting here pretty much drunk trying to figure out how to be the most unique, and have the best aquascape in one tank :P I have a couple of what i think to be good ideas im writing down, but i'm afraid when i sober up in the morning, the ideas wont seem nearly as cool or as plausible. lol

I have notebooks full of ideas I came up with while intoxicated...I think I picked out 2 or 3 gems from like 100+ ideas, but some day those gems are gonna make me very happy!

C.I._Reefer

hehe, and i keep wanting to talk about em, cuz my girl is sick of hearin about all this, but i wanna keep em on the DL as long as possible. Dont want someone stealin my thunda

hehe, and i keep wanting to talk about em, cuz my girl is sick of hearin about all this, but i wanna keep em on the DL as long as possible. Dont want someone stealin my thunda

Haha, yeah...My GF is pretty sick of my tanks as well...She's sweet though, still willingly comes with me to 2 or 3 LFS on an afternoon off...lol

Yeah, keep those ideas on the DL for sure...lol...well, you could share a few.... ;)

C.I._Reefer

side note, if i am using a 3g tank, can i use a 5.5g tank as a sump as long as the volume of water in the sump doesn't exceed 3 gallons?

and i am dragging the girl on LFS runs tomorrow, so i kno whatchya mean

Good question. I want to say yes, but to be safe I'd try to keep the volume of the water in the sump at 2.5 gallons or less. Ultimately the decision is up to dallasprstn, and you should probabnly shoot him a PM because the official rule is as follows...

-Sumps can be no larger than the tank itself, for example, a two-gallon display tank can have a two-gallon tank, but nothing larger than that of the display itself.

...But seeing as a 5.5 is easy to find, and pretty cheap, I'd say it's a prime candidate for a Pico sump...There just might be complications, because a 5.5 with 2.5 gallons of water can still fit more EQUIPMENT than a 2.5 gallon container used as a sump.

EDIT:Thinking further about it, it would probably be a good idea to try to stick to the official rule, and keep a 3 gallon tank with a sump that is 3 gallons or less.

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

I would like to welcome all the contestants on this quest to find themselves the winner of my grand prize, award winning 1.6 gallon pico with all the extras as announced by Dallas!

For those that don't know who I am, just a little intro:

I have been an avid reefer for 24 years, I pride myself in everything centered around reefing! I have learned so much and continue to learn more each day in this fascinating underwater realm! I am the owner and founder of Micro-Reefs LLC.

Remember a pico is a delicate piece of art, it's a tiny grasp of the underwater world that Poseidon and King Neptune have teased us for decades if not millenniums.

Please feel free to browse our site, it's more designed as a informational blog than a website for sales!

May the games begin!

Mike Guerrero

I would like to welcome all the contestants on this quest to find themselves the winner of my grand prize, award winning 1.6 gallon pico with all the extras as announced by Dallas!

For those that don't know who I am, just a little intro:

I have been an avid reefer for 24 years, I pride myself in everything centered around reefing! I have learned so much and continue to learn more each day in this fascinating underwater realm! I am the owner and founder of Micro-Reefs LLC.

Remember a pico is a delicate piece of art, it's a tiny grasp of the underwater world that Poseidon and King Neptune have teased us for decades if not millenniums.

Please feel free to browse our site, it's more designed as a informational blog than a website for sales!

May the games begin!

Mike Guerrero

Great to have you on board, Mike! And once again, let me take this opportunity to thank you for your generous donation. Now that you've given the contestants something to drool over, it's should be great fun to watch these builds come together!

Meta

C.I._Reefer
Good question. I want to say yes, but to be safe I'd try to keep the volume of the water in the sump at 2.5 gallons or less. Ultimately the decision is up to dallasprstn, and you should probabnly shoot him a PM because the official rule is as follows...

-Sumps can be no larger than the tank itself, for example, a two-gallon display tank can have a two-gallon tank, but nothing larger than that of the display itself.

...But seeing as a 5.5 is easy to find, and pretty cheap, I'd say it's a prime candidate for a Pico sump...There just might be complications, because a 5.5 with 2.5 gallons of water can still fit more EQUIPMENT than a 2.5 gallon container used as a sump.

EDIT:Thinking further about it, it would probably be a good idea to try to stick to the official rule, and keep a 3 gallon tank with a sump that is 3 gallons or less.

I completely understand. It just baffles me how petsmart can sell a 2.5g aga for like 17 bucks, when they sell 10 gallons for like 12 bucks. esp when i got the 5.5 layin around :P

I completely understand. It just baffles me how petsmart can sell a 2.5g aga for like 17 bucks, when they sell 10 gallons for like 12 bucks. esp when i got the 5.5 layin around :P

I know! When Petco recently did their dollar a gallon sale, they were still charging 13.99 for the 5.5's! Haha...And those 2.5's at Petsmart, yeah, what a bum deal!

I think Mike Guerrero has some inexpensive Aquarium Masters 2 gallon Glass Tank 12x6x6.5 on sale for $10.99 in the shop on Micro-Reefs.com

2 gallon tank, bottom of the page

3779885[/url]']

Yeah, You can think restrictive ass mac for that. That is what you get when you buy mac and buy into non open-source software/platform. Does mac have a dropbox app? it is really easy to upload photos to your public folder on dropbox, and then you can post them right to the site

Haha it's not a Mac it's iOS. But I'm sure it does have Dropbox of some form.

But suweeeettt deal thanks so much micro reef.com! That's awesome! Makes this much more official now!

shaneandjohn

11GTCS.......This is my Favorite site. I spend many hrs a day just reading here. It would be so convenient to be able to just snap a quick pic and be able to immediately post it. Thank you for looking into this. I am surprised this has not been more of an issue to the many other users.

11GTCS.......This is my Favorite site. I spend many hrs a day just reading here. It would be so convenient to be able to just snap a quick pic and be able to immediately post it. Thank you for looking into this. I am surprised this has not been more of an issue to the many other users.

Haha I know the feeling! I currently have six tabs open for this site and it's only 8:48 in the morning! I will have to see about getting an SDK for iOS at some point. It's fairly expensive though, I think about 120.00

ZacharySturges

Alright I'm running to my aquarium guy today and going to price out a 3gal pico with 2.5 gal sump I'll let you know for sure if i can do it by tonight. I hope I can though a pico seems too fun to pass up

dallasprstn
I'm going to Mexico tomorrow morning too! Where in Mexico? I'm going to tulum!

i'm pretty close to there i think..i just know the resort is called Barcelo!

Hahahahaha wow reef keeping party in mexico or something? How come I'm not invited?? :D

lol, you must have not gotten the memo or something...

Haha, j/k...I think dallas is going down to dive...I would love to become SCUBA certified one day!!

yep, i'm gonna be diving on tomorrow and tuesday..i'm going to two reefs and a ship wreck. CAN'T WAIT! :lol:

In regards to adding or removing equipment, I wont need a heater until about June so can I just add it to the equipment list and place it in the tank when required? similarly for cooling, I assume equipment can be removed based on climatic conditions.

Also, please add me to the list of entries. I'm in Australia, so not worried about prizes etc, just in it for the fun. :D

yes, you can pull out heaters if you need to keep the tank cool! we wouldn't want you cooking your reef would we? :P

can you add a CUC now?

yes you can! CUC can be added or replenished at any time in the contest, you just can't add any macros, coral, or fish until April 1st! :happy:

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Update: announcement...

We will be showcasing the 2 gallon rimless tank tomorrow. I will photograph it and display it here on Dallas thread for all to see.

We have only carried the standard tank up until now!

Hoping my new rimless square tanks might make a difference like the ADAtanks that make such a splash

dallasprstn
Update: announcement...

We will be showcasing the 2 gallon rimless tank tomorrow. I will photograph it and display it here on Dallas thread for all to see.

We have only carried the standard tank up until now!

Hoping my new rimless square tanks might make a difference like the ADAtanks that make such a splash

i can't wait to see these....I love the ADA look! will you be trying out that new logo as well?

funkngroovy

I'm just using normal black bulkheads because I have some lying around but if I were going to buy new ones I'd grab some skin fittings from a boating store. They have a much smaller profile and you can get them with barbed tails or threads.

Archived