Pod Your Reef

Official 3 and Under Pico Contest!

dallasprstn

Yeah, I'm trying to head up the Judging on this thing, so I might have to see if I can toss some money aside over the next few months to help people out with the little things like that.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
dallasprstn
Even though i'm a participant, I would seriously be willing to throw in a small frag pack as a prize. I have tons of sps, favia, and zoas, So, I'm thinking a 3 or 4 coral pack valued around $60. I'm just worried cuz i have no experience shipping coral. It'd be really cool if someone would be willing to split the shipping cost with me though. Cuz its kinda pricey.

thanks so much for the offer! pm me about the specifics of the frag pack so i can get it all the prizes and such worked out. also, i'd be willing to split shipping with you if you were to donate.

I really liked your idea for a judging system metatank, i'm glad we have you on board as one of the judges.

I might be able to put aside a bit of cash for a prize, but i'll dpend how much my speeding ticket is gonna cost <_< and if I still have a job (hopefully classes won't be too bad next semester) when the contest ends. I'd like to say, i'm not in this for any prizes or anything, I just needed a good excuse to set up a pico lol.

Islandoftiki

Ok, quick questions about stocking.

Since my tank is more or less up and running already, to be fair, I'm going to break it down and start a new sand bed and put my rock back in so it will be like I'm starting a new tank for the most part.

Now, here's the catch. There are hitchhikers on the rock that will ultimately be part of the main display when I'm done. They are aiptasia and majanos, and a couple ugly brown palys. However, I won't be feeding them and they will have to survive through any cycle that occurs due to breaking the tank down and restarting it. I won't be feeding them or adding any new corals or pests until we're allowed to by the rules.

So, if anybody will have an issue with this, speak now or forever hold your peace. :-)

Cheers!

P.S. Can we throw in a CUC as soon as the tank cycles?

Ok, quick questions about stocking.

Since my tank is more or less up and running already, to be fair, I'm going to break it down and start a new sand bed and put my rock back in so it will be like I'm starting a new tank for the most part.

Now, here's the catch. There are hitchhikers on the rock that will ultimately be part of the main display when I'm done. They are aiptasia and majanos, and a couple ugly brown palys. However, I won't be feeding them and they will have to survive through any cycle that occurs due to breaking the tank down and restarting it. I won't be feeding them or adding any new corals or pests until we're allowed to by the rules.

So, if anybody will have an issue with this, speak now or forever hold your peace. :-)

Cheers!

P.S. Can we throw in a CUC as soon as the tank cycles?

I don't have an issue with it. We can't add any life until April 1 though. :happy: I'm hoping to get some good hitch hikers if I don't use a rock out of my existing setup.

dallasprstn

islandoftiki: that sounds great, and CUC can be added at anytime in the contest, just no livestock until April 1st!

banshee: same here! I'm using rock from my big tank though, so I'm pretty sure I'll get some cool little critters.

sweet man! I'll put you on the list! :happy:

I really liked your idea for a judging system metatank, i'm glad we have you on board as one of the judges.

I might be able to put aside a bit of cash for a prize, but i'll dpend how much my speeding ticket is gonna cost <_< and if I still have a job (hopefully classes won't be too bad next semester) when the contest ends. I'd like to say, i'm not in this for any prizes or anything, I just needed a good excuse to set up a pico lol.

same here, and at least you'll get some props if you end up winning lol.

Just happy to be part of the contest!! I need a couple more judges though, and it's not gonna be easy. I know we're gonna see a lot of really cool tanks... :)

Sweet! Now you just gotta start your "3 an Under" thread...You were entering with a JBJ Picotope? Love those little aquariums...Except I'm stuck with 2 stock 9w 50/50 lights from mine, since I upgraded to T5's.

Sweet! Now you just gotta start your "3 an Under" thread...You were entering with a JBJ Picotope? Love those little aquariums...Except I'm stuck with 2 stock 9w 50/50 lights from mine, since I upgraded to T5's.

Yep. I was waiting until I got it to work and in place on my desk so I have pictures to put in the thread. ;) I put in water and let it sit for a couple hours and seemed fine. I did a 2 gallon WC on BC14 so I saved the 'old' water to cycle the new tank with. Now I just need to pick up some sand and LR on Monday too! I can't wait for my lunch break! :lol:

Once my AC70 gets here i wana use my stock light for the fuge and upgrade. I was thinkin a Par 38, any suggestions for a cheaper light, or a DIY led.

Jacob042426
Yep. I was waiting until I got it to work and in place on my desk so I have pictures to put in the thread. ;) I put in water and let it sit for a couple hours and seemed fine. I did a 2 gallon WC on BC14 so I saved the 'old' water to cycle the new tank with. Now I just need to pick up some sand and LR on Monday too! I can't wait for my lunch break! :lol:

Don't use old water. It will be dirty, and won't help for the cycle.

dallasprstn
-Sumps can be no larger than the tank itself, for example, a two-gallon display tank can have a two-gallon tank, but nothing larger than that of the display itself.

i would let you, but i'd rather stick to the rules as much as possible. sorry, but you always have the option of doing a 1.2 gallon sump! :happy:

Cheese-Lover

Well. I just ripped the LR out of my little 9l pico... So it needs to be restarted.

Does this mean I can enter?

And; Can we double sump? I only ask because I'm thinking about having a sump for macro and a sump for a overly-large skimmer... >.>

If its not allowed I'll stick to one sump...

*Its sitting with the pump/light off... no live rock... and the water is going to have to be replaced before I would feel comfortable putting LR back in... (LR is still live. I'm not a murderer.)

dallasprstn
They are both going to be displays, one for coral, the other for macro. Is that ok?

yeah that is completely fine!

Well. I just ripped the LR out of my little 9l pico... So it needs to be restarted.

Does this mean I can enter?

And; Can we double sump? I only ask because I'm thinking about having a sump for macro and a sump for a overly-large skimmer... >.>

If its not allowed I'll stick to one sump...

as long as there is no livestock other than a CUC you can enter!

and no double sumping sorry, because that would be like having one large sump with dividers. sorry!

dallasprstn

UPDATE!

Hey everyone, i just updated the categories, prizes, and judging section of the contest and thought i'd let you guys know!

We added a new category called "Best Growth" and re-vamped the way "Best Overall Pico" is going to be scored.

Each category is judged on a scale of one to twenty and the person with the highest score in that category wins. The "Best Overall Pico" is then chosen after adding all three scores from each judge together to get the contestants compiled score. The contestant with the total score now wins the $100 LiveAquaria Gift Card and the other prizes were shifted around.

I will be going to Mexico tomorrow morning and won't be back until Thursday. I may not have internet connection, and in that case MetaTank and 11GTCS will clarify any questions you guys have regarding the contest. I'll see you guys on Thursday!

dallas.

I will be joining, ,just need to get a tank. Before I do I would like to get some clarification on a couple things though.

I am eye balling an AIO tank. The display area is 2.9 gallons and the overflow area is 1.2 gallons. Now does this mean the tanks volume is 4 gallons? or do we just count the actual display volume?

I will be joining, ,just need to get a tank. Before I do I would like to get some clarification on a couple things though.

I am eye balling an AIO tank. The display area is 2.9 gallons and the overflow area is 1.2 gallons. Now does this mean the tanks volume is 4 gallons? or do we just count the actual display volume?

Since sumps are allowed, I believe that should be all right. As long as the display tank area is 3 gallons or under, I do not have a problem with it. You should probably shoot dallasprstn a PM just to make sure!

It's really no different than a 3 gallon tank with a 1.2 gallon sump, and as long as the sump volume is less than or equal to the display volume, it's all good!

3778911[/url]']

Since sumps are allowed, I believe that should be all right. As long as the display tank area is 3 gallons or under, I do not have a problem with it. You should probably shoot dallasprstn a PM just to make sure!

It's really no different than a 3 gallon tank with a 1.2 gallon sump, and as long as the sump volume is less than or equal to the display volume, it's all good!

I concur with meta on this one. Since dallasprstn will be incommunicado after today, if you don't reach him in the next 24 hours, I'd say you're good to use that tank. Keep us posted!

Don't use old water. It will be dirty, and won't help for the cycle.

It's not really dirty. I've been doing 20-50% water changes everyday on my BC14 since I added the CUC and corals and nitrites went up a little bit (0.25ppm). The s.g., pH, and ammonia is all good. The nitrites were at 0.25 so it should at least give the bacteria something to eat. Then I'll do a 100% WC at the end of the cycle to get it ready for inhabitants. Basically I guess I'm just lazy and don't want to mix up an extra bucket of SW to start a tank that will get a 100% WC in 1-2 weeks anyway. ;)

Jacob042426
UPDATE!

Hey everyone, i just updated the categories, prizes, and judging section of the contest and thought i'd let you guys know!

We added a new category called "Best Growth" and re-vamped the way "Best Overall Pico" is going to be scored.

Each category is judged on a scale of one to twenty and the person with the highest score in that category wins. The "Best Overall Pico" is then chosen after adding all three scores from each judge together to get the contestants compiled score. The contestant with the total score now wins the $100 LiveAquaria Gift Card and the other prizes were shifted around.

I will be going to Mexico tomorrow morning and won't be back until Thursday. I may not have internet connection, and in that case MetaTank and 11GTCS will clarify any questions you guys have regarding the contest. I'll see you guys on Thursday!

dallas.

I'm going to Mexico tomorrow morning too! Where in Mexico? I'm going to tulum!

I'm going to Mexico tomorrow morning too! Where in Mexico? I'm going to tulum!

Hahahahaha wow reef keeping party in mexico or something? How come I'm not invited?? :D

Archived