Top Shelf Aquatics

Official 3 and Under Pico Contest!

dallasprstn

dallasprstn
Can I enter if I bought someone elses tank that was entered? He never did anyting but put LR in FWIW.

no , sorry, the contest is closed!

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There are still nay-sayers. But GU10s are awesome, plain and simple. They work great for our application. Especially on small tanks. Its the only way to have an SPS capable pico for ~$30

It's not the only way. You can do a DIY led light on this size tank for under $30. The GU10 lights are nice and a pretty good price though.

I'm gonna give these a try over my entry...I ordered 3(4x1w) blues and 4(3x1w) cool whites.

Hoping they'll be here today. I'm not sure I'll use all of them...will do some playing around to

find the right balance/amount of light.

Nice, let me know how the are once setup. Im running out of time and its either GU10's, or pay the money for a par38. I like the trupop bulb from ledtric, but just concerned its gonna b overkill for a small pico. Im intrested to hear ur feedback once setup.

I am done with equipment.

I changed my LED driver, went from 700ma to 350ma, and now I am set. I do have a DIY chiller idea in mind, but not sure I will have time to get it going.

The tank is pretty much fully stocked. I am keeping my eye for frags and shrimp that could go in the tank, but I think we are full. It is kinda sad actually, all the fun for me is in the design and setup. Now the tank is on auto pilot/grow out phase. I just have to fill my top off reservoir once a week and do water changes.

Jacob042426

Hey Dallas, can you make the equiptment deadline June? I think a month is not enough time to decide if you have the right equiptment.

Hey Dallas, can you make the equiptment deadline June? I think a month is not enough time to decide if you have the right equiptment.

I was wondering the same thing. Im thinking of ordering some bulbs but dont know if theyll be here by the 1st cause they have to ship overseas. Ive been doin a lot of research to decide which i want since this is my first tank, and now the deadline is getting very close.

Jacob042426
I was wondering the same thing. Im thinking of ordering some bulbs but dont know if theyll be here by the 1st cause they have to ship overseas. Ive been doin a lot of research to decide which i want since this is my first tank, and now the deadline is getting very close.

i ordered my gu10's over a month ago and they havent come yet! now next week is my B.-M. and i wont be able to go to the lfs and then the next week is my brothers birthday party and i wont be able to go then either!

i ordered my gu10's over a month ago and they havent come yet! now next week is my B.-M. and i wont be able to go to the lfs and then the next week is my brothers birthday party and i wont be able to go then either!

Its taking that long! Why doesnt anyone else sell these bulbs? I still havent orderedmine because i cant make up my mind if i want a par38 or GU10's. Im leaning towards the latter because of price but thats a long time to wait.

You won't make the deadline if you order from China, and I'm pretty sure we aren't changing the deadline either. The rules have been clearly stated for over a month now, and most of the other entrants have thought ahead and anticipated shipping lag.

You can PM Dallas, and see if he will allow you to add equipment that is still in transit during the deadline, but I don't think he will extend the deadline. Sorry guys.

You won't make the deadline if you order from China, and I'm pretty sure we aren't changing the deadline either. The rules have been clearly stated for over a month now, and most of the other entrants have thought ahead and anticipated shipping lag.

You can PM Dallas, and see if he will allow you to add equipment that is still in transit during the deadline, but I don't think he will extend the deadline. Sorry guys.

I understand about the deadline, i just found out about the GU10's like a week ago and have doing research thats why i havent bought anything yet cause i didnt wana just throw money away. Ill pm dallas and see if i can order them tommorow, and if hell allow to still set them up if they arrive after the first. I knew the deadline was creepin up but like i said i wana make sure i make the right decision on lighting so im not waisting money being this is my first reef tank.

I understand about the deadline, i just found out about the GU10's like a week ago and have doing research thats why i havent bought anything yet cause i didnt wana just throw money away. Ill pm dallas and see if i can order them tommorow, and if hell allow to still set them up if they arrive after the first. I knew the deadline was creepin up but like i said i wana make sure i make the right decision on lighting so im not waisting money being this is my first reef tank.

I ordered two 3x1w e27 bulbs with 2blue 1white each from china on march 31st, recived them today. It'll be tight, but he might allow it if it's within a day or two of the deadline.

I ordered two 3x1w e27 bulbs with 2blue 1white each from china on march 31st, recived them today. It'll be tight, but he might allow it if it's within a day or two of the deadline.

r u just using the fixtures everyones been using for the par38's. these sound easier then hanging the gu10's.

Nice, let me know how the are once setup. Im running out of time and its either GU10's, or pay the money for a par38. I like the trupop bulb from ledtric, but just concerned its gonna b overkill for a small pico. Im intrested to hear ur feedback once setup.

I added pics/info about my gu10 build in my contest thread...

See link in my sig(below)

r u just using the fixtures everyones been using for the par38's. these sound easier then hanging the gu10's.

They fit into a standard US screw-in socket...e27 socket.

thanks i placed my order i went w/ 2 e27 2b/1w, and 1 each of e27 royal blue, and cool white. this way i can have them and see which ones i wana use, and i figured it would be easier to use the screw in rather then messing around w wiring them to a cord. now im at the mercy of the shipping! thanks for everyones input.

thanks i placed my order i went w/ 2 e27 2b/1w, and 1 each of e27 royal blue, and cool white. this way i can have them and see which ones i wana use, and i figured it would be easier to use the screw in rather then messing around w wiring them to a cord. now im at the mercy of the shipping! thanks for everyones input.

That is the exact combo I have for my new build...I had ordered the 3x1w RB a while back, and I was so pleased with it I went back on eBay and ordered two 2b/1w, and one 3x1w cool white, so now I have the same combination...lol...funny how that thought process went down.

On a side note, I also ordered a 4x1w RB a while back when I first ordered the 3x1w RB, and the heatsink SUCKS on the 4x1w bulbs...Lets out a TON of light leaking, while the 3x1w bulbs heatsink only has like 3 "pinpoints" of light leaking out

And for moonlight.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/16-Colors-Changing...=item3f16465d76

I'm using one of these for moonlight, with the optics removed it's perfect (super easy, just screws off)...Plus it has a remote control and a nice selection of colors...the blue makes my corals pop nicely.

That is the exact combo I have for my new build...I had ordered the 3x1w RB a while back, and I was so pleased with it I went back on eBay and ordered two 2b/1w, and one 3x1w cool white, so now I have the same combination...lol...funny how that thought process went down.

On a side note, I also ordered a 4x1w RB a while back when I first ordered the 3x1w RB, and the heatsink SUCKS on the 4x1w bulbs...Lets out a TON of light leaking, while the 3x1w bulbs heatsink only has like 3 "pinpoints" of light leaking out

And for moonlight.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/16-Colors-Changing...=item3f16465d76

I'm using one of these for moonlight, with the optics removed it's perfect (super easy, just screws off)...Plus it has a remote control and a nice selection of colors...the blue makes my corals pop nicely.

thanks meta, im interested to see ur pics when u get them setup. ur tank looks good i wish i had as many frags as u im jealous.

Discotank!

Yess!! After some playing around covering bulbs with electrical tape ive made an order and decided to go a completely different route with the color string. I will be taking out all of the whites, since the uv/red/green together make somewhat of a daylight look.

I will be running 6 blue's 3 Uv Purple, 3 Green and 2 Red. If its not daylight looking enough ill ad two whites.

Archived