Cultivated Reef

Official 3 and Under Pico Contest!

dallasprstn

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
shaneandjohn

Honestly, there should be a window of time to post pics for the updates!! Maybe make it a 3 day time period. Some people have their tanks at work, some people travel with work, and life gets crazy at times!!!

This is a contest, Yes, but it's more about having fun. There are a lot of contestants so I personally think it would only be fair.

I would suggest all updates be posted from the 28'th - the last day of the month. That would be more than fair and would allow everyone a chance. I have looked thru a calendar and it could work.

It's just a suggestion :) This is fun!!!!

I would say even at least a week. You never know what issues may arise amongst 30 contestants, and with that number, there's sure to be some conflicts.

I hate how these things always turn out.

It's always a fine line between who is creating a great tank as opposed to who can post their pictures on the correct date...

shaneandjohn

This is the first contest that has been reef related I have ever entered. To some this could be all about winning, for others like me its about having fun with the hobby.

This is a great hobby that we all share, and we all need to remember this!!!! :)

I dont think anyone ever said you had to post the pics on the first, only that there due by the first.

+1

Though I do think exceptions should be made for those with crazy hectic schedules

dallasprstn
Honestly, there should be a window of time to post pics for the updates!! Maybe make it a 3 day time period. Some people have their tanks at work, some people travel with work, and life gets crazy at times!!!

there is a time window, this months was just a little short. the time window at will start the last week of the month and end on the first of the next from now on.

shaneandjohn
there is a time window, this months was just a little short. the time window at will start the last week of the month and end on the first of the next from now on.

Well there you have it :)

This had been clearly stated and now everyone is clear as to what is expected!!

Now let's all focus on our tanks and their needs rather than focusing on the rules of the competition.

Islandoftiki

Sheesh, already? Lucky.

If it's a glass tank, a razor blade works great.

If it's an acrylic tank, use an appropriate acrylic safe scraper or the edge of a credit card also works well.

Yeah, which is weird because none of my other tanks have any, and the same water source is used. I'll try and find a card to use.

I was wondering if anyone has had experience with GU10 bulbs. Ive been debating on a Par38, but just came across these and for the money was thinkin this might be a better move. I was thinkin of getting 3 bulbs, two 2B 1W, and one with other colors such as green, red, yellow. Any suggestions?

I was wondering if anyone has had experience with GU10 bulbs. Ive been debating on a Par38, but just came across these and for the money was thinkin this might be a better move. I was thinkin of getting 3 bulbs, two 2B 1W, and one with other colors such as green, red, yellow. Any suggestions?

A lot of people have had success with the GU10 bulbs. The price is totally worth the experiment. I would stay away for the colored LEDs, I have tried a few different colors and did not notice any difference .

A lot of people have had success with the GU10 bulbs. The price is totally worth the experiment. I would stay away for the colored LEDs, I have tried a few different colors and did not notice any difference .

ok thanks. I figured for the money it was worth a shot instead of spending over a 100 bucks for a bulb. im not gonna do any sps so i think 2 or 3 GU10's should do the job.

4 would be best to get the best spread. gioreef used to have them on his pico.

Yea but i noticed he upgraded and isnt using them anymore. i didnt read through the whole thread, but m wondering if i eventually get some lps if ill have to upgrade again. Im would rather get he par38 but im trying to justify spending that much money.

Yea but i noticed he upgraded and isnt using them anymore. i didnt read through the whole thread, but m wondering if i eventually get some lps if ill have to upgrade again. Im would rather get he par38 but im trying to justify spending that much money.

I have 1 blue gu10 over some sps frags at night. and that alone is enough to keep the polpys extened all night.

on my 3gal cube. I only need 2-3bulbs max. and it grows sps.

Hope this helps.

totalimmortal363

Can I enter if I bought someone elses tank that was entered? He never did anyting but put LR in FWIW.

I'm gonna give these a try over my entry...I ordered 3(4x1w) blues and 4(3x1w) cool whites.

Hoping they'll be here today. I'm not sure I'll use all of them...will do some playing around to

find the right balance/amount of light.

C.I._Reefer
I'm gonna give these a try over my entry...I ordered 3(4x1w) blues and 4(3x1w) cool whites.

Hoping they'll be here today. I'm not sure I'll use all of them...will do some playing around to

find the right balance/amount of light.

There are still nay-sayers. But GU10s are awesome, plain and simple. They work great for our application. Especially on small tanks. Its the only way to have an SPS capable pico for ~$30

Mmmmm, scallops!

These majanos are growing like crazy!

tank looks sweet! What is that macro in the left of the shot?

Islandoftiki
tank looks sweet! What is that macro in the left of the shot?

Some sort of caulerpa that I got for free. They generally don't recommend caulerpa for a main display. It does indeed grow very fast! I'll probably have to regularly thin it out. And hope it doesn't go asexual.

Archived