inTank Media Baskets

Refugium Vs. Skimmer

tennis20

I have 29 gallon freshwater tank. I want to switch it to saltwater. I don't know if i should get a Sump refugium, protein skimmer, or both. And is it worth it to make it a fish only?

JamieSheffield
I have 29 gallon freshwater tank. I want to switch it to saltwater. I don't know if i should get a Sump refugium, protein skimmer, or both. And is it worth it to make it a fish only?

Based on my limited experience, I think that if you had to choose, I would go with a refugium first, but I think that my skimmer also does great things for my tank.

Jamie

Based on my limited experience, I think that if you had to choose, I would go with a refugium first, but I think that my skimmer also does great things for my tank.

Jamie

+1 go the the Fuge 1st and add a skimmer later if you think you need one

Fuge - provided is is 30% of your total water volume. Removes DOC's and provides refuge for microfauna

skimmer - aerates water and removes DOC's

Fuge - provided is is 30% of your total water volume. Removes DOC's and provides refuge for microfauna

skimmer - aerates water and removes DOC's

So at a 30% requirement, fuges in tanks like the BC and JBJ nc are pointless? Your probably only looking at 1-2 gallons maybe.

I would do maybe a HOB skimmer and 20% monthly water changes on a tank that size. If you go bi-weekly you could probably forgo the skimmer.

If you go with a sump/refugium then go with the largest tank you can fit in the stand.

The choice of skimmer is up to you. It really depends on how many fish you plan to keep, and the total water volume of the system, also, how often you plan to do water changes.

Having a refugium isn't pointless; it adds water volume and nutrient export. My tank is stable without a sump or skimmer. That being said, I also do five gallon water changes weekly.

Archived