ReefCleaners.org

Gerbil's Spineless Manta Ray 15

gerbilbox

Deleted User 4

mmm I see, how did you get the deal for so cheap? like I added those to the cart and it sums up to be $315 lol

the media basket comes with the tank right? PiCo

mmm I see, how did you get the deal for so cheap? like I added those to the cart and it sums up to be $315 lol

the media basket comes with the tank right? PiCo

Yes, the media basket does come with the tank. The $250 was without any special deal and before shipping, so I don't know how you're getting over $300.

I JUST BOUGHT THE MANTA 12!!!!! DO YOU HAS A GERBIL?

Congrats, I actually considered the 12 before settling on the 15. Heh, I don't have a gerbil, it's just a childhood nickname.

• 2 weeks later...

New additions! I picked up new frags, acclimated them, dipped them in ReVive, and they're now in quarantine. I had trouble finding colors at the local shops that were not well represented in my tank, but I think I'll be happy with these frags. I now have most of the spectrum covered in some way except blue.

I have a whole new quarantine setup, only 2.5g and I'm happy with its compactness but I made sure that it was stable before I bought the frags. A quarantine this size is only good for coral frags and would be inadequate for anything else, but I wanted to show this simple setup since not everyone does quarantine even though it can prevent major pains in the ass later on. A quarantine bucket setup from last year allowed me to spot aiptasia, so I was able to burn it off the frag plug long before the coral went into my tank.

DSC00736.jpg

Zoanthid

DSC00738.jpg

Yellow Ricordea

DSC00741.jpg

Bull's Eye Mushrooms. These two look far better in an overhead view but I couldn't get a picture of it yet.

DSC00754.jpg

Entire quarantine setup, 2.5g AGA tank with Duetto 50 (with carbon), Jäger 25w and a simple PC fixture.

DSC00740.jpg

Finnex MAX-300 heater controller, a cheap alternative for just controlling temperature in a barebones setup. It's one degree off but it's doing its job so far.

Hey gerbil,

just ordered my manta ray 18 from Chris, can't waittt!!! to be in the pico family with you guys

What happened to your other tank?

Deleted User 4
What happened to your other tank?

still have it, I'm going to move some of the stuff to the new tank, and sell the nanocube, lost interest in nanocube, rimless upgrade for me now that is

gerbilbox

I just got a new telephoto lens to go with my close-up filter, so I should be able to try some macro shots soon. I plan to move my tank in the next few days to a different part of my apartment so it'll have to wait until then.

Alex

Sweet tank playa.

Your orange hammer is the sex!

Got macro shots?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
updates??

As it happens to us all, life got in the way, although the tank is still doing well and exhibiting more growth than the previous tank, especially the zoanthids. The Collonista snails seem to have effectively disappeared. My living arrangements have changed so I now the tank is happily displayed in the living room. Not sure when I'll post more photos.

how effective is the fuge light at supporting chaeto growth?

Chaeto grow seems good, it doubles monthly which is when I trim it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Bad news, tank sprung a leak a few days ago. I moved everything into a bucket (with a heater and powerhead), drained the tank, then the next day transferred them into a cheap 10g setup. The Acan got damaged during the move somehow but otherwise everything else is fine, just doing a few big water changes to offset anything bad from some of the dead tissue coming from the Acan. I' not sure yet what to do with the Manta Ray at this point. Around this time I was actually thinking about getting some kind of wetness sensor, but it was fortunate this leak was slow and I caught it a few hours after it started.

If you dip the Acan in something that is an iodine based dip (like lugols), it will quite likely recover. Acans are tough!!

I don't have any iodine-based dip but I do have ReVive, so I'll give it a try. Thanks!

Sorry to hear man. Maybe you try fixing the leak with some silicone?

I don't know yet. Chris at Pico Aquariums sent me repair directions but looks challenging. At least for the near term my corals will be in a not particularly attractive setup, but they'll do fine.

• 3 weeks later...
any updates?

Funny you should ask since I'm in the middle of battling an algae problem. The temporary setup is just a 10g with a Koralia Nano powerhead and Duetto 100 filter with carbon, and I recently ran out of GFO. It's not the up to the same filtration system I had with the Manta Ray, so the algae took advantage of this. Just scrapped a bunch off and finally got some new GFO and I already reduced feedings (for the corals and shrimp). With the holidays and other busyness, I haven't had the chance to think about repairing the Manta Ray.

The Acan damage I mentioned earlier, it's recovering and seems fines now (except the parts that are bare skeleton).

Deleted User 4

Damn, I see. Well hopefully you can repair it to sell or reset it back up haha.

I'm thinking of getting an ada mini L and transferring everything from my mr18 into there or not....

Archived