SaltCritters.com

Proper fish introduction to tanks

Reefmaster1996

Reefmaster1996

Hey guys , I am upset to see so many of you guys with fish that are sick with diseases. I just wanted to remind any newbies ( I was one not too long ago) to quarintine your fish and not introduce any water from other tanks etc. I made the mistake of adding a live stock to my 20 gallon long that where not quarintined causing them all to die and 100$ wasted. I have since implemented a strict 4-6 week Quarintining period before I add any fish into my system. It has made a world of difference and so for I have had no losses. It might seem like a pain in the but to quarintine for such a long time but it is completely worth it. Also if anybody has any advice to our newbies please share. I hope none of you ared discouraged by your losses or the appearance of diseases, I was in the same place you were. Keep going it may seem like keeping saltwater fish is to hard, but you will be happy once you get through this phase of learning from your mistakes.REMMBER PATIENCE GUYS, GOOD LUCK AND HAPPY REEFING!!

• 2 weeks later...
Reefmaster1996
Hey guys , I am upset to see so many of you guys with fish that are sick with diseases. I just wanted to remind any newbies ( I was one not too long ago) to quarintine your fish and not introduce any water from other tanks etc. I made the mistake of adding a live stock to my 20 gallon long that where not quarintined causing them all to die and 100$ wasted. I have since implemented a strict 4-6 week Quarintining period before I add any fish into my system. It has made a world of difference and so for I have had no losses. It might seem like a pain in the but to quarintine for such a long time but it is completely worth it. Also if anybody has any advice to our newbies please share. I hope none of you ared discouraged by your losses or the appearance of diseases, I was in the same place you were. Keep going it may seem like keeping saltwater fish is to hard, but you will be happy once you get through this phase of learning from your mistakes.REMMBER PATIENCE GUYS, GOOD LUCK AND HAPPY REEFING!!

Bump

Reefmaster1996
Looks like a dream posted new pics today.

Thanks for asking! How's yours? :happy:

Good I need to do my reef profile and post pics this weekend, other than that so far so good it is slowly but surely coming together as a nice 20gallon long reef tank. Check it out on YouTube under"luisparedes13" since the last update I have added clowns to main display.

Reefmaster1996
Will do. ;)

Thanks for subscribing I want to Slowly get less camera shy and turn into the next "Newyorksteelo"! Tell friends and others to subscribe if you want.

I will link it to my facebook!

I have been working on becoming less camera shy as well, IDK why I am I should be fine but I hate talking on camera or being on camera! ;)

Reefmaster1996
I will link it to my facebook!

I have been working on becoming less camera shy as well, IDK why I am I should be fine but I hate talking on camera or being on camera! ;)

Same, and just so you know I live in the Tampa bay area, if you need anything.

The real problem is that nearly all of the people will do just like you did...they wait until disaster strike then they learn to quarantine.

4 weeks quarantine is not enough, 6 is more like it. Another very good precaution before even putting the fish in the quarantine tank is to do a one hour dip in Seachem Paraguard at the recommanded "dip" concentration. That will catch a lot of things before they even make it to the QT.

I made the mistake of adding a live stock to my 20 gallon long that where not quarintined causing them all to die and 100$ wasted. I have since implemented a strict 4-6 week Quarintining period before I add any fish into my system.
Reefmaster1996
The real problem is that nearly all of the people will do just like you did...they wait until disaster strike then they learn to quarantine.

4 weeks quarantine is not enough, 6 is more like it. Another very good precaution before even putting the fish in the quarantine tank is to do a one hour dip in Seachem Paraguard at the recommanded "dip" concentration. That will catch a lot of things before they even make it to the QT.

Interesting, thanks for the tip.

• 5 months later...

Bringing this thread back, how often do you guys do water changes? I know once I add fish the ammonia will jump and I can't afford to do a water change every day about 50% worth as teh gas alone will cost a fortune since we dont all have RO/DI units.

Is tehre anything to put int he water to prevent ammonia?

Archived