SaltCritters.com

What kind of water do you use?

Christopher Marks

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
distantfire

I use to buy the RO and DI water from walmart. But now I mix 3 gallons of tap water along with 10ML of API stress coat. IO salt is then mixed into the water and checked by refactometer. I belive the reason that my 10gal. display tank has remained algae free. Is because of the 2.5 gallon fuge I have draining into it. I also keep the fuge lighted 24hours a day with 18watt's of 6700k. I thought about making my own DI water by using the boiling method. But that would take me to long to do on a electric stove.

Update: I reduced my fuge lighting to 11hrs a night when my dispaly tank lights are off. Because now I have more chateo than I know what to do with. I'm also using less stress coat about 5ml for every 2gals of SW mixed. The larger 10ml doses of stress coat worked great for helping my new fish and inverts get adjusted to the tank.

• 1 month later...

I use 50 percent tap and 50 percent RO, I know tap is a general no no but I like the free minerals hehe... Havnt had too many problems using the tap but I may change in the future...

Kyle

I usually just get the premixed RO water from my LFS for $.95, and then fresh RO water from them ($.45) for my top off. I use Instant Ocean when I need to mix my own if I need to adjust salinity up or down.

I use distilled from Walmart. It is $0.36 a gallon jug here. I have used it for over a year now, why does everybody say you can't or shouldn't use it in large aquariums? I want to know that for future projects.

Because it's a lot of jugs to buy and carry - I filled my 40 with distilled, and I still use it for top off, but I'm filling my 135 with an RO/DI unit - it's less work for me, and cheaper in the long run. :)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
I buy it buy the gallon from the LFS - it's worth $1/gallon to me to not have to deal with making my own.

I make my own, it's not worth the hassle for me to get it from the LFS. :lol:

i've been using Glacier water for a year+ now, but I have a brand new Typhoon III from airwaterice sitting in my basement waiting to be installed.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Archived