• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

acabgd

acabgd

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 94 posts
  • Joined 27 Dec 2011

Yes, but it's far from enough. This high power LED is drawing over 2 amps, and the driver he suggested goes to 980mA, meaning 0.98A. It's not powerful enough.

Lingwendil

Lingwendil

Raptus Regaliter- Royally Screwed

• Members
  • 499 posts
  • Joined 26 Sep 2004
  • Modesto and San Luis Obispo, California

The only problem I've had were the drivers, or rather the LED actually. It draws over 2 amps of power (measured up to 2.05A) and the drivers I've bought go only to 1.67A, and were not powerful enough. I therefore had to improvise and connect 2 drivers inline in order to get enough power. The drawback is that one driver gets very hot as it runs at almost maximum power all the time, so I will have to find another solution with a stronger driver.

you connected the drivers in series? if so, pull one out, you're unnecessarily loading one of those drivers. as long as the drivers you have can only supply 1.67A, you wont get anywhere by daisy chaining them that way.

Edited by Lingwendil, 21 March 2012 - 09:27 PM.

I canít spoil the plot because THANK GOD THERE ISNíT ONE. Just ass kicking that kicks ass that, while said ass is getting kicked, is kicking yet more ass thatís hitting someoneís balls with a hammer made of ice but the ice is frozen whiskey.

acabgd

acabgd

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 94 posts
  • Joined 27 Dec 2011
I can't pull one out... If I connect only one the LED doesn't work. Or actually it does for like 10 seconds, then start flickering as the overload protection from the driver kicks in. They are also not in series but rather parallel.

Lingwendil

Lingwendil

Raptus Regaliter- Royally Screwed

• Members
  • 499 posts
  • Joined 26 Sep 2004
  • Modesto and San Luis Obispo, California
Oh, cool. Series would have been bad.

I canít spoil the plot because THANK GOD THERE ISNíT ONE. Just ass kicking that kicks ass that, while said ass is getting kicked, is kicking yet more ass thatís hitting someoneís balls with a hammer made of ice but the ice is frozen whiskey.

MOJOEJOEJOE

MOJOEJOEJOE

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 639 posts
  • Joined 04 Dec 2009

Yes, but it's far from enough. This high power LED is drawing over 2 amps, and the driver he suggested goes to 980mA, meaning 0.98A. It's not powerful enough.

This is what i used on my build. its a nice little supply cheap.Plus you can get different variations with current up to 6 amps.
http://www.ebay.com/...=item58909b4755

Edited by MOJOEJOEJOE, 26 March 2012 - 08:38 AM.

acabgd

acabgd

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 94 posts
  • Joined 27 Dec 2011

This is what i used on my build. its a nice little supply cheap.Plus you can get different variations with current up to 6 amps.

Thansk for the heads up.

Here are also some photos of the growth with this led. First photos were taken on March 15, the second ones on April 1. Might not seem like much, but it's only 2 weeks and I also had a couple of days without lights due to cyano (my tank was less than 2 months old). However, I am impressed with my Acan Lord which is growing 2 new heads!

growth_20120401_01.jpg

growth_20120401_02.jpg

devmasa

devmasa

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 381 posts
  • Joined 01 Jan 2008
  • Los Angeles

how did you connect this? with a dimmer ? the o/p rating looks different than what the 20w expects.
Can you please post a photo of your setup?

acabgd

acabgd

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 94 posts
  • Joined 27 Dec 2011
Some more growth pics...

growth_20120409_02.jpg

darkside212

darkside212

Nano Reefer

• Members