NanoTopia's ZEOvit 80L [ ]

NanoTopia

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I just came across your forum and love the build. I saw you owned a Lubbok's Fairy Wrasse and I loved the colors it (it really sucks it passed away). I was wondering if you purchase it online? I was going to order one through Live Aquaria but the markings looked different than yours. Here is the link for their site I thought about purchasing through: http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+1926+376&pcatid=376

Thank you.

• 3 weeks later...

It's so scary ... after reading the posts about salinity. At this moment I've 37 ppm by refractometer, and 37 pp by digital refractometer and 34.5 on the Apex probe, it's a big difference. For two days it's like this but I'm holding my hand on the RODI water and I'm so close to add it to the tank to bring back to 35ppm by refractometers! hahaha ... Nanotopia, get well soon ! And I hope you're right ! :D

• 1 month later...

Hey! ;) I've tested the theory about Apex probe reading. My salinity was around 1.028 according regular refractometer and a digital one for about 7 weeks. Apex reading was 1.026. Corals looks healthy, fishes as well. Caroline changed color and green colors are very intense. After a month sent the water to Triton Lab. and it showed that Apex probe is wrong salinity was really 1.028 ( 36.6 PPT = 1.0276 SG ) all that time here is detailed calculation:

post-85904-0-30202600-1455120878_thumb.png

post-85904-0-46484000-1455120887_thumb.png

• 3 months later...
Aqua Lab Aquaria

I feel that when the hobby went from hydrometers to refractometers the hobby went backwards :D

And conductivity is the new hydrometer!

We use AquaCraft refractometer solution to calibrate our Red Sea refractometer before every use. We float the standard in the tank to be tested for temp matching, then we quickly apply this fluid to the refractometer and calibrate to 35ppt (expedience is important for this step, and is to be done as fast as humanly possible). I believe the AquaCraft solution is certified, can anyone confirm? It states it is a 35ppt or 53mS standard solution.

Using this method, I assume I should be able to get a refractometer reading as accurate as a conductivity meter that's been calibrated using this same solution.

Any thoughts? Sorry to bring up such an old issue!

EDIT: interesting findings, Berliebee! Looks like the good old refract may still be a trusty solution?

jedimasterben

We use AquaCraft refractometer solution to calibrate our Red Sea refractometer before every use. We float the standard in the tank to be tested for temp matching, then we quickly apply this fluid to the refractometer and calibrate to 35ppt. I believe the AquaCraft solution is certified, can anyone confirm? It states it is a 35ppt or 53mS standard solution.

Using this method, I assume I should be able to get a refractometer reading as accurate as a conductivity meter that's been calibrated using this same solution.

EDIT: interesting findings, Berliebee! Looks like the good old refract may still be a trusty solution?

Christine has had some health issues, not sure if/when she'd be coming back to this thread.

As long as the refractometer is calibrated and is temperature compensating (making sure to leave the sample on the slide for a few seconds to reach the same temp), it will be fairly accurate. One of my next purchases will be a floating glass hydrometer, though. :)

We use AquaCraft refractometer solution to calibrate our Red Sea refractometer before every use. We float the standard in the tank to be tested for temp matching, then we quickly apply this fluid to the refractometer and calibrate to 35ppt (expedience is important for this step, and is to be done as fast as humanly possible). I believe the AquaCraft solution is certified, can anyone confirm? It states it is a 35ppt or 53mS standard solution.

I have a Red Sea refractometer as well, and my particular kind (not sure about yours) is supposed to be calibrated to zero with RO/DI water. I know this is a bit of a debated issue, but that is what my instructions and the people from Red Sea tell me! Because it is meant for reading the salinity of more natural salt water, the 1.026 calibration solution does not guarantee proper calibration (or something along those lines). I hope that helps, although I understand it makes it more complicated in other ways ;)

jedimasterben

I have a Red Sea refractometer as well, and my particular kind (not sure about yours) is supposed to be calibrated to zero with RO/DI water. I know this is a bit of a debated issue, but that is what my instructions and the people from Red Sea tell me! Because it is meant for reading the salinity of more natural salt water, the 1.026 calibration solution does not guarantee proper calibration (or something along those lines). I hope that helps, although I understand it makes it more complicated in other ways ;)

Red sea is, honestly, very very wrong. Always calibrate and verify against a 35ppt/53ms solution to ensure your setpoint is actually as close as possible to the target you're shooting for. The farther away from your target you calibrate to the farther your results can shift.

Red sea is, honestly, very very wrong. Always calibrate and verify against a 35ppt/53ms solution to ensure your setpoint is actually as close as possible to the target you're shooting for. The farther away from your target you calibrate to the farther your results can shift.

What you are saying makes sense and I've made the same argument. When I calibrate with 35 ppt fluid I do get a different reading compared to RO/DI, just like you say. But I chose to follow the instructions Red Sea provides. I assume (possibly wrongly!) that Red Sea has done proper research as to what works best for their product. They are otherwise missing out on cashing in on some calibration fluid ;)

Last Saturday a local reefer came over and used his Refractometer (that he calibrates with 35ppt) and my salinity tested as 1.025, so I'm happy we're I'm at.

I will say it's frustrating to be so dependent on a piece of equipment that can be so sensitive!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived