Cultivated Reef

NanoTopia's ZEOvit 80L [ ]

NanoTopia

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow,down right amazing pictures Christine !!! That second pictures is ridiculous,the colors are crazy.

I also forgot to ask,what do you suggest for best results in Red Planets (flow,light ect ) ?!

• 3 weeks later...

Wow,down right amazing pictures Christine !!! That second pictures is ridiculous,the colors are crazy.

I also forgot to ask,what do you suggest for best results in Red Planets (flow,light ect ) ?!

Thanks ReefKid, I find the RP does not like too much light and medium flow. ZEOvit B-Balance has improved the red quite a bit.

The PE on those is enviable! Looks amazing

Thanks Kguske, PE has been pretty consistent since starting ZEOvit two years ago but I have been dosing a bit more iodide lately along with some trace elements (ZEOvit ZEOspur Macroelements) and it has helped all around including PE.

Small Update:

I have been trying to get the deep green on the Cali Tort back for some time, it was always a bit pale and maybe a bit on the yellow side. I never had an issue with the blue/purple coloration of this coral, it was just the green. I have been hesitant, maybe fearful of dosing Iron to the tank, I decided to give it a go and dose some in the last three weeks or so. This is the result on a frag, but all the colony is similar, it was just easier to get a clear picture of the frag.

15481588745_d7392858e5_c.jpg

This A.formosa has been fragged so many times over the last two years, I think possibly I over fragged it, if that is possible. I think I stunted its growth, maybe just pissed it off a little. I have only two branches that are growing now, the others stay dormant. Overall this coral seems pretty happy with good PE.

15294927188_d0c9d5aef3_c.jpg

Beautiful pics Christine!!

I know we were talking about bulb selection on my thread. I'm curious what your running, and what you would run in a 8 bulb ati.

jedimasterben

I'm jelly of that Monti because I can't keep them. I'm 2 for 2 on killing those, but I've got an A. nasuta and A. millepora that are both doing well, all four from kat. Go figure. :)

What acro is that? Stunning.

That's a red M. Digitata :)

Actually it is Forest Fire Digitata, haven't been able to get the green which is typically found on this Montipora. I may have something to do with low nutrients or PAR.

Beautiful tank and pictures! Great SPS

Thank you so much :)

Beautiful pics Christine!! I know we were talking about bulb selection on my thread. I'm curious what your running, and what you would run in a 8 bulb ati.

Everyone has there faves when it comes to T5 bulbs, here's mine...

B+

C+

C+

B+

C+ (possibly replaced with with P+)

C+

C+

B+

I'm jelly of that Monti because I can't keep them. I'm 2 for 2 on killing those, but I've got an A. nasuta and A. millepora that are both doing well, all four from kat. Go figure. :)

Anecdotal or not, I have found Montipora sp. sensitive to salinity levels. Anything under 34ppt and they seem to almost stop growing for me, anything under 33ppt and they wither away slowly. Just my observation but there could be other factors at play as well.

Thanks Christine!

I like the coral+ bulb a lot. I feel like I see a lot of pink it it though. Wouldn't the tank look really pinkish with that many coral+?

I will admit I've always liked a lot of blue. I'm a big ushio 20k fan.

I've been thinking of swapping out one more of my blue+ for another coral+. See if it would put my around 16k.

I got some green on an encrusted area of ff digitata in my dirty 29. Brilliant orange polyps as well. It must prefer higher nutrients.

Everything looking stellar! This does not look like a zeovit tank, looks better. :)

I don't see a lot of pink personally, but there is some for sure. I think a couple of B+ offset any visible pink and make for a pretty crisp white colour. Again it's really preference because I don't see much translation in colours or growth in corals either way. I have 6 bulb ATI and now running 4 x C+ and 2 x B+, so maybe 16K overall. Corals love it and I like what my eye sees as well. Tank doesn't look washed out but obviously colours are not as punchy as they would be with more blue bulbs.

Thanks Christine! I like the coral+ bulb a lot. I feel like I see a lot of pink it it though. Wouldn't the tank look really pinkish with that many coral+? I will admit I've always liked a lot of blue. I'm a big ushio 20k fan. I've been thinking of swapping out one more of my blue+ for another coral+. See if it would put my around 16k.

I got some green on an encrusted area of ff digitata in my dirty 29. Brilliant orange polyps as well. It must prefer higher nutrients.

Everything looking stellar! This does not look like a zeovit tank, looks better. :)

Thanks Mark, and I think you are right about the FF Digi. I have it placed on the sand bed ATM, it was a wee frag at one time, now it is a mini colony and I have nowhere to put it. Sadly its going to get fragged up and sold soon, but I would like to get some green on it first. Maybe I will put a frag of it in my 7 gallon as I have higher nutrients in there.

Most ZEOvit tanks are not the super pale versions most people associate with ZEOvit. I was experimenting with ZEOspur2 for a while, for those who are not familiar with the product it is intentionally bleaching corals by regulating the zooxanthelle in the coral tissue, I no longer use it now as I did not like the overall effect. Some corals lost tip colour and just became too pale for my liking.

In order to achieve those pastel (unnatural) colours you need to use ZEOspur2, if you don't you just end up with light but more natural colours. ZEOspur2 contains copper and other ingredients that cause the symbionts to expel from the host coral, very hard on the coral IMO and completely unnatural. Low nutrients alone with the right amount of trace elements and light spectrum can achieve amazing colours, the trick is to get them all right in the right proportions, takes some trial and error. I run the ZEOvit system because it allows me to keep stable low nutrients in a more natural way, without the use of absorbers etc., and feed with mulm (bacteria) daily. This is the unique property of the ZEOvit system, supplemental feeding with bacterial film daily.

Is this too much to ask? :D

5331878295_41430d7dfa_s.jpg20110106 Reef Corals by Kien Tran, on Flickr

Can I bug you for a https link to your images or folder. I can't see them from work and had to browse on my phone. Not the same experience. :)

Click the Fr box in my signature, it will link you direct to my 80L tank :)

Polarcollision

Anecdotal or not, I have found Montipora sp. sensitive to salinity levels. Anything under 34ppt and they seem to almost stop growing for me, anything under 33ppt and they wither away slowly. Just my observation but there could be other factors at play as well.

I can input here that my red digis don't like alkalinity below 7

jedimasterben

My salinity is typically on the higher side, 36-37ppt. I have seen a lot of salt creep, though, so maybe I need to break out the ol refractometer (still haven't brought myself to purchase a floating glass hydrometer yet :) ).

Thanks Christine! I like the coral+ bulb a lot. I feel like I see a lot of pink it it though. Wouldn't the tank look really pinkish with that many coral+? I will admit I've always liked a lot of blue.

I don't see a lot of pink personally, but there is some for sure. I think a couple of B+ offset any visible pink and make for a pretty crisp white colour.

I do see a little bit of a purple hue when run by themselves, and with the amount of 620nm that the C+ has it makes sense why it is there (blue + red = purple :) ). I'm currently using a pair of the new Giesemann bulbs, the Aquablue coral and Actinic Blue, basically the Coral Plus and Blue Plus equivalents. The Aquablue Coral does not have that little purple hue as it has a little less red light, and the Actinic Blue is basically identical in look and output to the Blue Plus.

Again it's really preference because I don't see much translation in colours or growth in corals either way.

Right, as it would have more to do with intensity and spectral coverage, and the Coral Plus and Blue Plus are similar in both regards, just a little more mercury applied to the Coral Plus :).

I have 6 bulb ATI and now running 4 x C+ and 2 x B+, so maybe 16K overall. Corals love it and I like what my eye sees as well. Tank doesn't look washed out but obviously colours are not as punchy as they would be with more blue bulbs.

Christine so I take it your not a fan of the Aqua blue special bulb??

I have always felt like it washes out colors. I'm trying to figure out what bulb to go with. I have 4 blue plus, 1 purple+, and 1 coral+

I want to drop 1 of the blue+ for another white bulb. Not sure if to go with coral+, purple+, or Aqua blue special.

Christine so I take it your not a fan of the Aqua blue special bulb??

I have always felt like it washes out colors. I'm trying to figure out what bulb to go with. I have 4 blue plus, 1 purple+, and 1 coral+

I want to drop 1 of the blue+ for another white bulb. Not sure if to go with coral+, purple+, or Aqua blue special.

Do not like the AquaBlue Special bulb, I have tried it twice now. The bulb is heavy green cast and makes everything look crappy. That said, the spectrum it delivers is very beneficial to corals. In a 8 bulb fixture you could likely squeeze one in without it overpowering everything else.

I think there is too much fuss regarding which bulbs to use in this industry. I have seen successful reefs using just about every combination possible, so I believe you should go with a spectrum you can live with aesthetically and leave it at that. Something in the 12-20K over all range will work. I have found the worst thing you can do is continually change your spectrum, corals are continually trying to adapt to something new. Give them one spectrum and leave it at that.

Although I believe that lighting is important for success in reef aquaria, I think there are many more factors far more important people should focus on like, stability, flow, low nutrients, and proper salinity to name a few.

My advice is to find an over all spectrum your eyes can live with that falls somewhere in the acceptable range for coral health and stick with it for at least a year. You will find that there are other more important factors that will determine coral growth and colour in a greater way :)

Thanks Christins!

I'm happy overall with my spectrum now. I think a coral plus would prob put me in the perfect.

I dont want to change anything right now. I was thinking about adding leds to my ATI for supplement, but I'm going to let the tank be for a couple months. It's gone through Lot of changes, and the tank is finally working!

ATI Coral Plus

13975068294_265c3732b2_o.png

As you can see, "full spectrum bulb" I believe you could run 8 of these on a 8 bulb fixture and grow corals with decent colour.

Archived