Innovative Marine Aquariums

NanoTopia's ZEOvit 80L [ ]

NanoTopia

WOW! These shots of your tank are amazing!! What is your secret to keeping your tank so clean for these FTS? Also, what camera are you using?? (hoping my crappy point-and-shoot's the problem and not my camera skills :o )

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello fellow BC'er :) I keep meaning to go over to check out Oceanic! I went one time but it was closed for lunch and I didn't have time to wait until he got back. Great tank!

Edit - just realized I've already popped into your thread, but failed to notice your location haha

Hello fellow BC'er :) I keep meaning to go over to check out Oceanic! I went one time but it was closed for lunch and I didn't have time to wait until he got back. Great tank!

Edit - just realized I've already popped into your thread, but failed to notice your location haha

Yes, same neck of the woods... Oceanic just got a bunch of new corals, I'm going tomorrow to buy a few things, check out the site when you have a chance.

Very nice! I love the lighting, and your scape is very nice and clean. I'm pea green with envy.

(and now I'm going to try to find a source for those lights. :))

Edit: I just thought about something. With your amazing fabrication skills, why did you opt for the Vertex fixtures instead of building your own lighting solution?

Thanks again Enigma, I've got the tank to an ULNS so I have little to clean, just the glass once a week or so. I had a little bryopsis algae problem a while back, nothing too bad but it was annoying. I think I have that under control and basically gone. The lights came from J&L Aquatics, at the time of my build I had two already, I just decided to buy one more and keep the lighting fixtures consistent, also didn't want to be bothered [lazy] at the time to build one. The three Illumilux fixtures with tank brackets cost almost $1000, in retrospect I could have made it for under $500. I do love the lights, Cree and very well built.

WOW, WOW, WOW!!!! This is one of the cleanest builds I've ever seen - I just LOVE it !!!!! Well done :)

Thanks, your complements mean a lot to me.

WOW! These shots of your tank are amazing!! What is your secret to keeping your tank so clean for these FTS? Also, what camera are you using?? (hoping my crappy point-and-shoot's the problem and not my camera skills :o )

Every one is commenting on how clean I keep my tank, well, I will let in on a secrete, I keep the nutrients at "zero" so algae never gets a hold. Not much work really when you have an efficient filtration system. In my sump I have a 300 micron Vertex sock, SM 121 Skimz skimmer; from my sump I run a modified Vertex reactor with 500ml of bio-pellets. If I feed heavy I dose MB7 and Reef Fuel by Brightwell on top of the pellets. Still with all this, bryopsis algae can live, which I believe is actually an algae from another planet. Amazing stuff really. I do blow off the sand and rock once or twice a week, I believe if this is done regularly, detritus can never build up in the sand bed, and it feeds the corals too.

As for the photography, I use a Nikon D3000 with standard lens, no tricks but I have recently found that turning off all the blue LED's helps quite a bit, you get better more realistic colour. The blue spectrum messes with everything in the camera. I am still not happy with the shots I get, I want a macro lens. Oh, I shoot in raw mode initially then convert to JPEG, not sure if this makes a big difference it's just what I do.

Added an Alien to my tank, Alien-Eye Chalice 4" diameter, gave up counting the eyes. This thing is really pretty, I hope it keeps it's colour in my very bright 20 gallon or I may have to move it to the pico if there is room.

6976915012_18877df04f_z.jpg

Solarflare8806

Really do love your tank! Very clean and its very apparent that all your hard work is paying off. I do wonder if you've looked into some of the Zeo supplements to get some color back into some of the corals. You had mentioned your digi getting lighter.

I also like your mini school of chromis, nice touch!

Very great build. Love how your using Vetex light. Nice arnt they. Are you dimming the light or just have all 3 at full power.

NanoTopia

Thanks for liking my tank, I have looked to dosing to help regain some colouring. I am using Brightwell additives at the moment. Koralcolor, Ferrion, Iodion, Potassion, Strontion, CoralAmino, Magnesion, Alkalin8.3-P, Calcion-P, bioFuel, MB7. Not sure there is much left to dose, lol. I attribute the mild bleaching to LED's. I was running 107 watts of Cree LED's for 9 hours a day. I have since reduced intensity and photo period, and have seen some improvement already. I was really just too much light. Most SPS that require intense light have not been affected. I think it's just finding a balance in intensity that will be enough for the SPS requiring high intensity and not too much for corals like digitata.

NanoTopia
Very great build. Love how your using Vetex light. Nice arnt they. Are you dimming the light or just have all 3 at full power.

Thank you boxboy, I do like the Vertex Illumilux, I am dimming them now after I realized they were blasting my coral. The 3 fixtures total 107 watts. I am using Ecoxotic inline dimmers, they work perfect for strips under 60 watts, and are only $15 each. I was hoping for Vertex to bring out a controller for the Illumilux, I heard they were working on it but that was almost a year ago now.

NanoTopia

Picked up a Frogskin frag yesterday for $45, pick was taken minutes after adding it in. The green is so much brighter than the pick shows.

It is a tabling acro that looks super cool IMO when grown out. Hope it's a fast grower in my tank.

7000179860_40c6c0e361_z.jpg

NanoTopia
Things are looking great! This is still one of my favorite scapes and I love the chromis! Beautiful job!

Thank you beau, I think I'm almost out of room in my 20 gallon. I'm picking up a ORA Red Planet Frag next week. Still not sure where I'm going to put the Frogskin frag. I may add a small rock island on the left side.

Finally picked up my ORA Red Planet frag, put it in last night, it's looking happy this morning. Now I just have to find a final home for it, it's not going to be easy.

7223422550_c1908bd7f1_z.jpg

Nice....i sure do hate ORA new frag plugs.

Ya, I think I will be using the dremel when I finally decide where I'm putting it. Honestly don't understand why someone doesn't design a frag plug that has a screw off base so you can just unscrew it when your ready to mount it.

Honestly don't understand why someone doesn't design a frag plug that has a screw off base so you can just unscrew it when your ready to mount it.

Exactly!Sure it would cost a bit more but it would be totally worth it.

Thats an awesome piece. I have one as well but its alot less green then that one. I have to agree with you two on the plugs

Thats an awesome piece. I have one as well but its alot less green then that one. I have to agree with you two on the plugs

Thanks JR, I'm sure the colour will change a bit in the next while, I hope to keep the rich colour in the branches. Corals bleach out easily in my tank so I'm keeping it low down for a while, then slowly moving it up.

Snap-off plugs! Just like the snap-off bolts they use on steel construction! I'm going to be rich! :P

Really nice tank and pieces! :happy:

Snap-off plugs! Just like the snap-off bolts they use on steel construction! I'm going to be rich! :P

Really nice tank and pieces! :happy:

Can I have a cut of the profit :lol:

Archived