SaltCritters.com

NanoTopia's ZEOvit 80L [ ]

NanoTopia

what a beatiful coral. would love to have some of that

Actually Cali Tort is kind common in my area, not a big demand for it. Oregon Tort on the other hand is hard to come by up here in Canada, last time I saw it was at a LFS, two ½ inch frags (SOLD) for $400.00 each! Not my cup of tea anyway.

I am looking for ORA Pearberry, never seen any in Canada. ORA won't ship to Canada even through wholesalers, I heard it's something to do with ORA corals being grown in the USA and the CITES involved are not of interest to ORA. We can get their fish though, but no one want's their fish up here :P

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just got a frag of what is being toted as "Reef Raft Pearlberry" I think its a bit different than the ORA type but not sure really.

I will show you a picture when it grows out. Being also in Canada I could easily ship you a piece in several months when its fuller.

Question... (I am on pg 52 of thread right now, so not sure if you cover this). How often are you dosing PIF. I just picked up a bottle and am thinking I will start with 2 drops 1 or 2x weekly. I haven't started dosing any food type supplements for the system yet as I think my tank is still young and has nutrients fluctuating. I tried a bit of Pohls Xtra last week 0.5ml but noticed a significant brown film on the glass a day or two later.

TheKleinReef

Cali Tort, one of my favourite corals, distinctive green body, deep blue corallite, green polyp. I actually think it's nicer than the Oregon tort and a better grower.

13837862415_0bbee67489_c.jpg

man i'd like to be able to keep some of that...

what bulb combo are you using again? its almost time for a bulb replacement! :D

Depends how bad you want it. Im only 45 minutes away and my LFS deals with them. ^_^

Not sure what you are suggesting Tron :rolleyes:

It's not possible to ship it to Canada, the way I understand it is the paperwork and fees make it "not worth it" for me, so I can live without it :).

I just got a frag of what is being toted as "Reef Raft Pearlberry" I think its a bit different than the ORA type but not sure really.

I will show you a picture when it grows out. Being also in Canada I could easily ship you a piece in several months when its fuller.

Question... (I am on pg 52 of thread right now, so not sure if you cover this). How often are you dosing PIF. I just picked up a bottle and am thinking I will start with 2 drops 1 or 2x weekly. I haven't started dosing any food type supplements for the system yet as I think my tank is still young and has nutrients fluctuating. I tried a bit of Pohls Xtra last week 0.5ml but noticed a significant brown film on the glass a day or two later.

Would be interested in seeing some pics in the future Aj :)

I dose PIF 1 drop x 2 per week on average, I have become sloppy at following my schedule to a "T" these days so sometimes it may be less or more. What is your net water volume and Start3 daily amount ?

I have never experienced brown film on glass from dosing Xtra, sounds like your system is not balanced, Start3 can be awfully problematic IMO. Too much and you have all sorts of issues, not enough and you have all sorts of issues :lol: .

Phol's Xtra is mainly Amino Acids with some trace elements.

man i'd like to be able to keep some of that...

what bulb combo are you using again? its almost time for a bulb replacement! :D

I have just changed my bulb combo slightly as I am starting to change out bulbs due to age. Right now I am running the following:

☼Back

ATI Blue+

KZ Blue (will change to ATI Blue+)

KZ New Gen. 14K (will change to ATI Coral+ soon)

ATI Fuji Purple. (probably keep)

ATI Blue+

ATI Blue+ (may change to ATI Coral+, undecided)

☼Front

Never really been fond of the Purple bulbs in the past but I recently have been running it and kind of like the colour when mixed with 4 blue bulbs. If I change one of the blues for a Coral+ I'm not sure how it will look, wait and see. I might end up removing it.

Would be interested in seeing some pics in the future Aj :)

I dose PIF 1 drop x 2 per week on average, I have become sloppy at following my schedule to a "T" these days so sometimes it may be less or more. What is your net water volume and Start3 daily amount ?

I have never experienced brown film on glass from dosing Xtra, sounds like your system is not balanced, Start3 can be awfully problematic IMO. Too much and you have all sorts of issues, not enough and you have all sorts of issues :lol: .

Phol's Xtra is mainly Amino Acids with some trace elements.

Thanks for the response. Net Volume is about 50-55g ish. From Zeovit I have been dosing:

0.2ml of Start 3 x 2 daily.

2 drops of Sponge Power ever other day

2 Drops of Bak, 2 drops Biomate, 2 Drops CyanoClean x1 weekly (more after ZeoLite Exchange)

2 ml Coral Snow weekly after water change.

I have A new bottle of Xtra, CV, and PIF waiting to start when nutrients balance more. (Still a very young system)

I also dose Brightwell Potassion and Strontion sparingly (will switch to the KZ equivalent when I run out of these)

dKH 7, Ca 430, Mg 1300, Potassium 390

Thanks for the response. Net Volume is about 50-55g ish. From Zeovit I have been dosing:

0.2ml of Start 3 x 2 daily.

2 drops of Sponge Power ever other day

2 Drops of Bak, 2 drops Biomate, 2 Drops CyanoClean x1 weekly (more after ZeoLite Exchange)

2 ml Coral Snow weekly after water change.

I have A new bottle of Xtra, CV, and PIF waiting to start when nutrients balance more. (Still a very young system)

I also dose Brightwell Potassion and Strontion sparingly (will switch to the KZ equivalent when I run out of these)

dKH 7, Ca 430, Mg 1300, Potassium 390

Lower your Start3 to 0.15mL x 2 daily for two weeks, if no issues, lower again to 0.1mL x 2 daily. The maximum recommended dose for Start3 is more problematic than beneficial in removing nutrients IMO. Less is more with Start3 !

No need to dose PIF unless your nutrients are low and stable, this is mainly a coloration additive with inorganic iodine.

Xtra will be fine to dose at 0.5mL every other day once you lower Start3 dose and some time has passed.

Lower your Start3 to 0.15mL x 2 daily for two weeks, if no issues, lower again to 0.1mL x 2 daily. The maximum recommended dose for Start3 is more problematic than beneficial in removing nutrients IMO. Less is more with Start3 !

No need to dose PIF unless your nutrients are low and stable, this is mainly a coloration additive with inorganic iodine.

Xtra will be fine to dose at 0.5mL every other day once you lower Start3 dose and some time has passed.

Will try this out. Thanks. I have a ton of growth already on tiny frags and the colour change and PE over a few weeks is dramatic so I am definitely close to ULNS. ZeoVit has changed a lot over the past few years, so having you as a resource is very helpful. They're are far far too many "Thinking of starting ZeoVit," threads over at the other forum..

I think I will be picking up an Apex system in the coming few months, your control centre makes me want one. I currently have an old RKL but rather than try and upgrade that thing I may just take the plunge.

• 3 weeks later...
NanoTopia

MP10 bearings went last night [again], from silent to horrific grinding at 4:35am, scared the crap out of me. Done with Ecotech Vortech pumps, I see a Tunze Nanostream 6055/6095 in my near future. Fully controllable with my Apex via a $20 cable, basically a no brainer. If the quality of the Ecotech pumps was better I might consider replacing it but that is not the case. I need reliability!

Reefkid88

When was the last time you replaced the bearings in the pump ? If it was less than a year ago,I would contact Ecotech and see if they'll send you new bearings free of charge or something.

How's everything going with the tank,besides the pump ?

Damn, what is up with your MP10? How old is it? So far mine is still humming along at 1.5 years old, which is meaningless since it could fail any second now. :)

If you get the Tunze you must get the Tunze rock to go with it. :D

Need a FTS!

NanoTopia

When was the last time you replaced the bearings in the pump ? If it was less than a year ago,I would contact Ecotech and see if they'll send you new bearings free of charge or something.

How's everything going with the tank,besides the pump ?

Pump is 3 years old, I replaced the bearings about a year and a half ago. No warrantee on this MP10wES left.

Tank is doing pretty good these days, corals are growing and colours are good. Thanks for asking :)

Damn, what is up with your MP10? How old is it? So far mine is still humming along at 1.5 years old, which is meaningless since it could fail any second now. :)

If you get the Tunze you must get the Tunze rock to go with it. :D

Need a FTS!

3 years or so old, I am convinced that some motors are not in full alignment so the bearings ware faster on those units. I got a dud from the beginning, first week I had it the propeller came loose from the magnet on the wet side :(

NO tunze rock LOL!

Tank is full of frags right now, looks like a prop tank, definitely not "show" quality for a FTS, or maybe it would make an interesting FTS... see what I can do :)

jedimasterben

The 6095 is a pretty darn powerful pump, even on 12v instead of 24v - I would go with the 6055 instead.

NanoTopia

The 6095 is a pretty darn powerful pump, even on 12v instead of 24v - I would go with the 6055 instead.

Ya, I think that's the one, 6055, tops out at 1400+GPH, more than I need. I have 4 small pumps in my tank right now. This tank is impossible to manage flow wise, corals are to the glass in some areas, I need to get all these frags out of here and turn this tank back into a display!

jedimasterben

Awww yeah! Tank is still sexy besides that fact :)

I did like my Tunze 6095s, but there were a couple of things I didn't like. First, the cord in the tank, I run a mesh top on mine, and the cords would make it so it didn't sit flat and it bugged me lol. Second, controlling them - ugh, the 7096 controller was not only difficult to program (the software was neither user-friendly nor explanatory with selections), but only had two modes, whatever you programmed and off. Your Apex will help with that, but it will use up one of your VDM ports, which, really, it's more than worth it since you're now running T5 over the tank. Third, you gotta keep them clean or their output suffers severely, that's probably the worst of all of them. You can never get them pointed in just the right position if it's bad enough to have to remove it to clean it. :)

NanoTopia

Awww yeah! Tank is still sexy besides that fact :)

I did like my Tunze 6095s, but there were a couple of things I didn't like. First, the cord in the tank, I run a mesh top on mine, and the cords would make it so it didn't sit flat and it bugged me lol. Second, controlling them - ugh, the 7096 controller was not only difficult to program (the software was neither user-friendly nor explanatory with selections), but only had two modes, whatever you programmed and off. Your Apex will help with that, but it will use up one of your VDM ports, which, really, it's more than worth it since you're now running T5 over the tank. Third, you gotta keep them clean or their output suffers severely, that's probably the worst of all of them. You can never get them pointed in just the right position if it's bad enough to have to remove it to clean it. :)

I can't dispute it, the Vortech's are sexy and take up less than half the room (in) the tank. There are pros and cons with both systems, one pro I do like about the Tunze is that I can change the direction of flow, the cord and extra room taken up in the tank are the cons for me. I have two 6015 Tunze in the tank now, had them for a while and never had a problem with them in 2+ years. The 6055 will replace one of them and I may add a second 6055 down the road. Every time I buy aquarium equipment I am thinking about future upgrades, everything in my system is "overkill" as is, :lol:

I am not using any of the 4 VDM ports right now so not an issue for me. I like the idea of being able to utilize my Apex investment more. As for the Vortech, I think it is banished to the salt mixing bucket if I can find a way to attach it to a curved surface, LOL. Might have to switch to a cubed mixing container. :happy:

SouthFlorida_Tron

Ive been considering a Tunze instead of a second MP10w, also for the fact of the change of direction of flow, but am not fond of the cord or size, spoiled by ecotech...

What size would you recommend for me??

NanoTopia

Ive been considering a Tunze instead of a second MP10w, also for the fact of the change of direction of flow, but am not fond of the cord or size, spoiled by ecotech...

What size would you recommend for me??

Ben and I both agree the 6055 is a pretty good choice, the 6095 is definitely overkill in in 20-30 gallons but if you are planning a substantial upgrade in the near future it makes sense to go with the 6095. The 6055 is the most similar flow wise to the MP10 soothing in the range of ~250-1400GPH flow range. I think the lowest (minimum) setting on the 6095 is ~550GPH which should be the consideration when deciding between the two IMO.

SouthFlorida_Tron

Are they controllable out of the box?

Im between the 6045 and the 6055, but big jump in price...

jedimasterben

Are they controllable out of the box?

Im between the 6045 and the 6055, but big jump in price...

The 6045 is not controllable. The 6055 and 6095 are both 0-10v controllable.

NanoTopia

So they come with the controller or that's extra

The 6055 and 6095 are controllable as Ben says but you need to purchase an additional controller if you don't have an Apex VDM ports. Even if you do have the Apex VDM ports you need to purchase a connector cable for $20 to connect the Tunze 6055/6095 to the VDM port.

If I didn't have a Full Apex I probably wouldn't go with Tunze, or... maybe I would.

SouthFlorida_Tron

See thats another reason why i can't spend that kind of money on just a pump with no brain... at least my vortech has the controller... more reason to get a 2nd, and they can work in harmony...

It's funny, everyone always compares the WP25/10 etc to the MP10 but the Tunze is really what it's imitating, but with MP10 like controls.

Wonder why Tunze didn't just slap a full featured controller on their pumps?

Archived