Cultivated Reef

NanoTopia's ZEOvit 80L [ ]

NanoTopia

SouthFlorida_Tron

Just ordered one for myself, watched a few videos, looked as if the 6025 pushes some serious water for nanos, so I found a 6015 on amazon prime, Will be here Wednesday... Used a gift card, so worked out well! Looking forward to see how the reef reacts!

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just ordered one for myself, watched a few videos, looked as if the 6025 pushes some serious water for nanos, so I found a 6015 on amazon prime, Will be here Wednesday... Used a gift card, so worked out well! Looking forward to see how the reef reacts!

6015 only pushes ~400 gph, in a 30g display that is nothing IMO.

I have two 6015 (`400 gph each), one 6055 (average 1500 gph) plus a koralia nano (250 gph).

No flow... no grow :)

jedimasterben

6015 only pushes ~400 gph, in a 30g display that is nothing IMO.

I have two 6015 (`400 gph each), one 6055 (average 1500 gph) plus a koralia nano (250 gph).

No flow... no grow :)

THE TRUTH WILL SET YOU FREEEE

THE TRUTH WILL SET YOU FREEEE

Amen, as long as the polyps and tissue stay on the coral, you don't have too much flow :D

SouthFlorida_Tron

Well Im always trying to compromise with the frogspawn not being flopped on its side, ill see how it reacts to the addition, worst case ill add a 2nd tunze to add more flow!

Wow, your tank looks so incredible. The red planet is out of this world. :)

You have any videos showing the flow?

Wow, your tank looks so incredible. The red planet is out of this world. :)

You have any videos showing the flow?

Not really Mark, a lot of it is focused to the surface where it is dissipated. Surface is pretty turbulent but the mid to lower tank is just reasonable flow. No sand storms or anything like that :D

Arkayology

FTS...tank is a big mess right now, sorry guys :(

14316055675_fff1a4ca7d_c.jpg

Wow wow wow. A big mess? I disagree! Things are looking really good in your tank, Christine! I can't believe (i guess I can :P ) how big some of these SPS are getting. Fast growth!

I need more flow. MP10 in reef crest, wp25 in wave, and while I get polyp movement it still seems weak. Maybe one of my smaller WP10's located at the back, along the bottom, will add some needed flow. I can certainly see why so many pumps are needed to maintain flow, and I can certainly see the need for a new kid of pump that creates tank wide movement instead of direct flow, even the nice wide flow of the Tunze pumps. GPH is meaningless is there are still dead areas.

Wow wow wow. A big mess? I disagree! Things are looking really good in your tank, Christine! I can't believe (i guess I can :P ) how big some of these SPS are getting. Fast growth!

Thanks Indy :wub:

My tank will be 3 years old in August, time flies.

I need more flow. MP10 in reef crest, wp25 in wave, and while I get polyp movement it still seems weak. Maybe one of my smaller WP10's located at the back, along the bottom, will add some needed flow. I can certainly see why so many pumps are needed to maintain flow, and I can certainly see the need for a new kid of pump that creates tank wide movement instead of direct flow, even the nice wide flow of the Tunze pumps. GPH is meaningless is there are still dead areas.

Coral cuts the flow down really fast, when frags become colonies you have to increase flow rates in the tank. With modern tank aquascaping it becomes even more difficult to eliminate dead spots. Solution is many smaller pumps strategically placed within the tank, sometimes it ends up looking like crap unless you are able to hide the pumps behind rock work. Yes the new Maxspect "Riptide" pump may be a game changer but I will wait for reviews before considering this pump.

Mark, this gives you somewhat an idea of the flow

Yep, watched, but that's with the old pumps. Even then, the flow looks better than in my 40.

SouthFlorida_Tron

Excited to see what this Tunze pump does, if its great, may just get a 2nd and really get some water moving in different directions... $39 shipped 2nd day is a steal...

All this flow talk is getting me wanting to add a pump. I do have a relatively slower corner in the front left of the tank...

Thanks everyone, I will try and make some video of the flow in the next couple of days for you.

Thanks for the video Ben. Rip Tide looks promising.

So you can see from the below video I just took that the flow, despite having 4 pumps, is not ripping the polyps off the corals. I took video from higher and lower (sand bed) areas to show how the polyps move with my current flow. You can see some white particles floating by if you look carefully. There is some turbulence on the surface (which I just realized I never video taped) as pumps are aimed more upwards so direct flow on the corals is avoided.

1 x Tunze 6055 at 60-90% (~1600-2300gph), 2 x Tunze 6015 at 100% (~450gph), 1 x Koralia nano at 100% (240gph)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2u3KG8N9PxA&index=1&list=UU4aI3NAIlK_N9YXa0T0BlEQ

Just gives you some idea of the flow rate in my tank at the moment :)

Annnnnd this is where shallow tanks fall short. No pun intended. There is no way I could get flow like that in my system without creating a sandstorm.

Christine, awesome video!

I remember you had posted your complete zeovit schedule. Is it here or in the zeo thread? Can't find it. Also are you dosing sponge power every day?

I have been daily dosing it like zeovit recommends. I've noticed the last couple weeks a explosion in pineapple sponges and other little filter feeders in my sump. Does sponge power fuel them? Usually they are a sign of high nutrients, but my tank should be lower than ever now. I have all my fish in quarantine and have barely been feeding. So far they are only in my sump, but i don't want a explosion in the tank.

Thanks for the great advice like Always!

That's some serious water movement !!!

Such a prestine reef,as usual. LOVE IT :D

Thanks, I think the water movement is what SPS corals like, I am getting better growth with the higher flow :)

Annnnnd this is where shallow tanks fall short. No pun intended. There is no way I could get flow like that in my system without creating a sandstorm.

Aj, well it is possible if your substrate is more course and you have more pumps, but everything is a trade off in reefkeeping, aesthetics vs function.

Christine, awesome video!

I remember you had posted your complete zeovit schedule. Is it here or in the zeo thread? Can't find it. Also are you dosing sponge power every day?

I have been daily dosing it like zeovit recommends. I've noticed the last couple weeks a explosion in pineapple sponges and other little filter feeders in my sump. Does sponge power fuel them? Usually they are a sign of high nutrients, but my tank should be lower than ever now. I have all my fish in quarantine and have barely been feeding. So far they are only in my sump, but i don't want a explosion in the tank.

Thanks for the great advice like Always!

Thanks Alex. You can dose SP every day or every other day, it is very good for the biology of the tank. The sponges are good and a sign your biology is evolving. Keep dosing SP but don't over dose it.

Here is my current schedule:

ZS3 = 0.05 x 2 daily

Flow through the reactor = 30GPH

Stones = 250mL new stones changed out every 5 weeks (I leave 150mL of the old stones in the reactor each change) so I always have 400mL of stones in the reactor.

ZEObak = 2 drops twice a week mixed with Coral Snow 2mL.

Biomate = 1 drop twice a week sometimes mixed with Coral Snow 2mL

SP = 1 drop every other day.

Phol's Xtra Special = 0.5-1.0mL every other day, depending how corals look.

Coral Vitalizer = 5 drops every day or every other day, dependant on nutrient levels.

AAHC = 1 drop twice a week

PIF = 1 drop twice a week

B-Balance = 1mL twice a week

K-Balance = usually 1mL twice a week, dependant on K values.

Coral Booster = 1mL once a week mixed with FWS 1mL

ZEOspur Macroelements = 1mL once a week

Dosing Brightwell Aquatics Alkalinity, Calcium, Magnesium, all in powder forms (I mix a stock solution a dose via auto doser) I dose Alkalinity and Calcium 6 times a day each staggered every 2 hours.

Archived