LebaneseDlight

LebaneseDlight

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 598 posts
  • Joined 15 Sep 2008
  • West Hollywood, CA

and its so affordable too!

I know :( If it was $250, it would be in my cart already. But $1000 for a euphyllia? Well, too rich for my blood but something to drool over, regarless.

basser1

basser1

Nano Reefer Old Fart

• Members
  • 5,120 posts
  • Joined 28 Jul 2006
  • So. Indiana
Is it just me.....

Or is there something about the word "Aussie"?

Seems like vendors stick it in front of their corals and it doubles the price! :o
Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

LebaneseDlight

LebaneseDlight

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 598 posts
  • Joined 15 Sep 2008
  • West Hollywood, CA

Is it just me.....

Seems like vendors stick it in front of their corals and it doubles the price! :o

I know, right! And Aussie torches, frogspawn, acans etc look just like any other coral (well, some newer/rarer color combos). It's the "forbidden apple" syndrome, we can finally collect some from their waters so let's jack up the prices until people start propgating them in the hobby.

At the same time, I want something SUPER BRIGHT yellow for my display and it's not easy to find something like the above referenced euphillya...

JoelRHale

JoelRHale

Dance Commander

• Members
  • 6,823 posts
  • Joined 19 Jun 2011
  • Cincinnati

I know, right! And Aussie torches, frogspawn, acans etc look just like any other coral (well, some newer/rarer color combos). It's the "forbidden apple" syndrome, we can finally collect some from their waters so let's jack up the prices until people start propgating them in the hobby.

I don't know, but my Aussie Frogspawn is brighter and more colorful than any other frogspawn I've seen. I agree it's a buzz word that let's people jack up the price but most of the stuff is pretty nice.

Posted Image

C.I._Reefer

C.I._Reefer

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 1,077 posts
  • Joined 20 Jan 2012

Is it just me.....

Thats because the price more than doubles for the vendor too. Aussie stuff is nicer in general, and costs LOTS more to bring in than indo stuff. My buddy brought in 6 aussie sps colonies and it cost over 1k. For that same 1k we coulda brought in 20 indo sps colonies. Most sick LOBOs and Acans you see ppl have are aussie

Builder Anthony

Builder Anthony

Coral Trader

• Members
  • 3,416 posts
  • Joined 30 Jan 2011
  • Appleton Wisconsin
there on crack 1000 dollars........... them and liveaquaria........ i hate vendors that rip people off.

Edited by Builder Anthony, 03 March 2012 - 09:09 PM.

Anthonys 5 Gallon
Pictures
http://www.nano-reef...howtopic=267313

Fel

Fel

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 126 posts
  • Joined 27 Feb 2011
  • SF Bay Area
but shipping is only $15...

Biocube 14g, 3 yr, 2 o'clowns, pistol shrimp (RIP YWG), feather duster, hammer, duncan, acans, blasto, palys/zoas, trumpet, scolly, red shrums.

C.I._Reefer

C.I._Reefer

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 1,077 posts
  • Joined 20 Jan 2012

there on crack 1000 dollars........... them and liveaquaria........ i hate vendors that rip people off.

I agree. The sh.itty part is people are dumb enough to pay some of those prices, or they wouldn't stay in business. I have a leptoseris in my tank that came from the EXACT mother colony as "jason fox's Jack-O-Lantern" Leptoseris. He sells it for $400 for a 1/2" by 1'2" frag. I bought mine for $20. it is unreal. I also have a Tyree cap that retails for like $80 per frag. I paid $5

Chrisl1976

Chrisl1976

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 937 posts
  • Joined 12 Feb 2012
  • Kankakee, Illinois
You have someone who makes 500k a year and will pay that for it, so they charge it. Too bad it leave 99% of the people in this hobby SOL.

Just a JBJ 28CF on its way to looking wonderful.

Posted Image

*Pico Bay*

*Pico Bay*

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 39 posts
  • Joined 10 Jan 2012
  • Bay City, MI
Posted Image

Mike C.

Mike C.

LED4LIFE

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • Joined 29 Jan 2012
  • Cooper City, Florida
Does it come with crack cocaine to justify the price?

Is it just me.....

From experience, Aussie corals cost A LOT more to import than other regions, but this price tag is a bit over the top, then again I have never seen one this coloration.
Posted Image-Posted Image-Posted Image-Posted Image

acropora1981

acropora1981

Aquatic Biologist

• Members
  • 1,198 posts
  • Joined 29 Aug 2009
  • Ontario, Canada

Does it come with crack cocaine to justify the price?

From experience, Aussie corals cost A LOT more to import than other regions, but this price tag is a bit over the top, then again I have never seen one this coloration.

I was just about to bring up the fact that shipping from Australia brings the landed cost WAY up. However, they are smoking some serious crack over there for $1000, or trying to support said crack habit. In fact, i find a lot of the online american vendors are way over priced, considering the sick-ridiculous-amazing corals that some of my local LFS get in here in Toronto, specifically Reef Raft and SeaUMarine (Markham). They charge much much less for the same things! And no shipping fees.
"She will be mine, oh yes, she will be mine...."

Posted Image

basser1

basser1

Nano Reefer Old Fart

• Members
  • 5,120 posts
  • Joined 28 Jul 2006
  • So. Indiana

I was just about to bring up the fact that shipping from Australia brings the landed cost WAY up. However, they are smoking some serious crack over there for $1000, or trying to support said crack habit. In fact, i find a lot of the online american vendors are way over priced, considering the sick-ridiculous-amazing corals that some of my local LFS get in here in Toronto, specifically Reef Raft and SeaUMarine (Markham). They charge much much less for the same things! And no shipping fees.

I have seen pics of Reef Rafts' SPS corals and they are amazing! The Red Dragon is one that comes to mind.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

buddythelion

buddythelion

Zoa Noob

• Members
  • 2,890 posts
  • Joined 28 Jan 2007
  • San Jose, California

but shipping is only $15...

^I loled. =)
It's not even free?

Solana 25 Mixed Reef:
Posted Image

Cheers, Darwin

castiel

castiel

Violence is one of the most fun things to watch.

• Members
  • 2,205 posts
  • Joined 23 Jul 2011
  • Melbourne, Australia
This is the reason why all of our gorgeous corals leave the country for you lot to pay stupid prices for. Can't get that cool stuff here in AUSSIE because the collectors get 10x the price in the USA!

ctFyi9l.gif

Tbone675

Tbone675

┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  • Joined 13 Dec 2007
it'll be funny when it changes color and turns a pale yellow in the home aquarium.

Current tank - Radion lit Solana 34

Future  tank - Deep Blue 60 Cube

land_lubber

land_lubber

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 350 posts
  • Joined 04 Dec 2006
  • Waikato, New Zealand

This is the reason why all of our gorgeous corals leave the country for you lot to pay stupid prices for. Can't get that cool stuff here in AUSSIE because the collectors get 10x the price in the USA!

+1 and we see none of them here either cause the market isn't big enough.