inTank Media Baskets

Measuring Glass Thickness?

alcko

I just bought a vortech and need to know exactly how thick my glass is.

The tank is an Oceanic 40 Hex Stretch. This is pretty much the only info I could find online:

http://www.oceanicsystems.com/produc...rast-stand.htm

The dimensions listed are L 19 x W 31 x H 32. However, the height really is more like 21 inches. Other dimensions seem correct.

Anybody have any thoughts? I cannot measure it directly with a ruler because of the top frame.

I just need to know if it's thicker than 3/16 inch (5mm), or less than 1/4 (6mm). Just by looking, I really can't say one way or another.

I've emailed them, but wanted to see if anybody here have more info than me.

Seems that with 21 inches tall, it should be more than 1/4 inch right?

Cant you measure at one of the seams? Where the back glass pane and the side meet at a 90 degree angle, you should be able to measure the thickness.

Look, you are making this waaaay to complicated. Take two object of a known length of 1-3" or something and measure it. Then put one on the inside, and one on the outside of the tank and measure the new length. Then subtract the two and you've got the thickness of the glass.

I pretty sure you are ok. BC 29 is 1/4" and MP10 does not need a spacer for 1/4"-3/8" glass. You are good to go without spacers

Take 2 metal/wood blocks and put them in each side of the glass at the top of the tank just under the rim and measure the total length. Than measure the 2 blocks and subtract that number from the total

Example.

Total length is 2" (2 blocks and glass)

- Two block measure 1-1/2"

Glass thickness is 1/2"

Archived