• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

alcko

alcko

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 36 posts
  • Joined 24 Mar 2011

I just bought a vortech and need to know exactly how thick my glass is.

The tank is an Oceanic 40 Hex Stretch. This is pretty much the only info I could find online:
http://www.oceanicsy....rast-stand.htm

The dimensions listed are L 19 x W 31 x H 32. However, the height really is more like 21 inches. Other dimensions seem correct.

Anybody have any thoughts? I cannot measure it directly with a ruler because of the top frame.

I just need to know if it's thicker than 3/16 inch (5mm), or less than 1/4 (6mm). Just by looking, I really can't say one way or another.

I've emailed them, but wanted to see if anybody here have more info than me.

Seems that with 21 inches tall, it should be more than 1/4 inch right?

10g Reef

10g Reef

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 601 posts
  • Joined 03 Feb 2011
  • Camp Hill, PA
Cant you measure at one of the seams? Where the back glass pane and the side meet at a 90 degree angle, you should be able to measure the thickness.

alcko

alcko

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 36 posts
  • Joined 24 Mar 2011
Yea that would be the easiest way. The only problem with that is that it is a hex and the glass panes don't meet at a 90 degree angle. Very difficult to see the thickness of glass with accuracy where they meet.

Sorry, the link is broken. Here's a working one
http://www.oceanicsy...trast-stand.htm

Veng

Veng

Disaster Inc.

• Members
  • 5,765 posts
  • Joined 06 Jan 2012
Look, you are making this waaaay to complicated. Take two object of a known length of 1-3" or something and measure it. Then put one on the inside, and one on the outside of the tank and measure the new length. Then subtract the two and you've got the thickness of the glass.
The 20L Adventure, with tanks, puppies, a wife, and cakes!
DIY Custom Acrylic Shallow Sump Have a question about one of my DIYs? Send me a PM, or post in my tank thread.

solefald

solefald

Nigerian Prince

• Members
  • 766 posts
  • Joined 16 Jan 2012
  • San Diego, CA
I pretty sure you are ok. BC 29 is 1/4" and MP10 does not need a spacer for 1/4"-3/8" glass. You are good to go without spacers

asting

asting

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 1,451 posts
  • Joined 31 Jul 2009
  • Cleveland, OH
Do you not have a micrometer?

alcko

alcko

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 36 posts
  • Joined 24 Mar 2011
Nope. But it's ok, I pretty much figured it out using a c-clamp lol. Poor man's micrometer!

Chrisl1976

Chrisl1976

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 937 posts
  • Joined 12 Feb 2012
  • Kankakee, Illinois
Take 2 metal/wood blocks and put them in each side of the glass at the top of the tank just under the rim and measure the total length. Than measure the 2 blocks and subtract that number from the total

Example.

Total length is 2" (2 blocks and glass)
- Two block measure 1-1/2"
Glass thickness is 1/2"

Just a JBJ 28CF on its way to looking wonderful.

Posted Image