Coral Vue Hydros

coral skeleton eroded (super old thread)

TheKleinReef

justjoshinya

what are your water parameters??

ammonia

nitrite

nitrate

SG

pH

hardness

Calcium and magnesium if ya got it

also how much and what type of lighting along with your photoperiod.

TheKleinReef
what are your water parameters??

ammonia

nitrite

nitrate

SG

pH

hardness

Calcium and magnesium if ya got it

also how much and what type of lighting along with your photoperiod.

Ammonia: 0

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: o

Phosphate: .1

SG: 1.024

Ph: no idea I don't have a test kit yet.

Calcium: 520ppm

KH: 9dkh

Lights on at 10am off at 9:30 pm (11.5 hours)

TheKleinReef
Termites? I also have seen this in my tank. The skeleton gets really porous and brittle over time...

Matt

what happens? i had the same thing happen with my candy cane, and now some of the soft tissue is starting to calcify into a stalk. do you think that is what's happening?

I had same problem with my Frogspawn it was water parameters, my alk and ph where off and my LFS said that would make it hard for corals to utilize any calc in water not to mention throw off any calc test I guess they all go hand in hand.Fixed the water eroding stopped starting to look heathy again but skeleton still looks bad don't know how long that wiil take( if ever )to heal.

TheKleinReef
I had same problem with my Frogspawn it was water parameters, my alk and ph where off and my LFS said that would make it hard for corals to utilize any calc in water not to mention throw off any calc test I guess they all go hand in hand.Fixed the water eroding stopped starting to look heathy again but skeleton still looks bad don't know how long that wiil take( if ever )to heal.

the guy at my LFS recommended i dose iodine and magnesium. i'll give that a go. i'm going to have to get a pH test kit soon. if that's a problem i might have to get some sort of buffer.

the guy at my LFS recommended i dose iodine and magnesium. i'll give that a go. i'm going to have to get a pH test kit soon. if that's a problem i might have to get some sort of buffer.

It's only a 29g, I wouldn't dose unless you're absolutely sure that your iodine and magnesium levels are suffering.

• 1 year later...

did you ever figure out how to stop the eroding skeleton on your corals? im having the same issue with my candy cane right now

TheKleinReef

it sorta just stopped. as the flesh grew some of it calcified and the older skeleton became a bit more brittle, as a result it fell off. but new skeleton was being formed at the same time.

Archived