ReefCleaners.org

My clown has an ulcer - see the video.

lohitha

My clownfish pair spawned just last week. Eggs hatched only 3 days ago. Both parents did a fantastic job taking care of the eggs. Now I see the male has a white spot on its side near the tail. It is active, eating and cleaning the nest for the next spawn. Is it possible that it got injured trying to guard the nest. I have seen it whips snails with its tail. It looks as if the spot is swollen too. Can someone look at this pic and comment? Thanks!

P1010222.jpg

Video taken 2 days after the pic above.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQ9-1RX2CqM

Reefmaster1996
My clownfish pair spawned just last week. Eggs hatched only 3 days ago. Both parents did a fantastic job taking care of the eggs. Now I see the male has a white spot on its side near the tail. It is active, eating and cleaning the nest for the next spawn. Is it possible that it got injured trying to guard the nest. I have seen it whips snails with its tail. It looks as if the spot is swollen too. Can someone look at this pic and comment? Thanks!

P1010222.jpg

Look at the clear tips of his fins if they have small wite spots then he has ich. Also if he is breathing faster than normal, it is another sign of ich. Aslong as the sore goes I don't know much about that or treatment so I would research and Keep an eye on it. Good luck!

Look at the clear tips of his fins if they have small wite spots then he has ich. Also if he is breathing faster than normal, it is another sign of ich. Aslong as the sore goes I don't know much about that or treatment so I would research and Keep an eye on it. Good luck!

Thanks for the reponse. Clear tips of the fins are fine. They are cleaning the nest site for another spawn. In the meantime, his wound looking thing still remains. He is eating fine and no rapid breathing. When I rearranged some corals, he attacked my hand as usual. I guess nothing worry.

Reefmaster1996
Thanks for the reponse. Clear tips of the fins are fine. They are cleaning the nest site for another spawn. In the meantime, his wound looking thing still remains. He is eating fine and no rapid breathing. When I rearranged some corals, he attacked my hand as usual. I guess nothing worry.

Any time, just keep on eye on him if he shows any signs of irritation or infection then I would treat for parasites and infection but if there are no problems I would let him be and spawn. Sometimes the stress of us bothering fish is worse than any disease at all.I have been Quarintining a pair of ocelaris clowns that I bought on Saturday and I am keeping an eye on them, and they seem to be pairing up the male is 1.75 inches long and the female is 2.25 inches long, at what size did yours start to breed?

Any time, just keep on eye on him if he shows any signs of irritation or infection then I would treat for parasites and infection but if there are no problems I would let him be and spawn. Sometimes the stress of us bothering fish is worse than any disease at all.I have been Quarintining a pair of ocelaris clowns that I bought on Saturday and I am keeping an eye on them, and they seem to be pairing up the male is 1.75 inches long and the female is 2.25 inches long, at what size did yours start to breed?

Also getting a cleaner shrimp wouldnt be a bad idea. They clean of parasites so if he is constantly being cleaned you can be sure he has some sort of parasite. Has he been hosting anything other than anemones because he can get stung by some corals and that can leave scars? Good luck!

My female is about 2.5 inches and the male is about 2 inches. I think they will have another batch within a day or two. They have cleaned the spot squeaky clean. In the meantime, male is still showing that wound on the side. I see a little red there now. They routinely go in and out of the frogspawn tentacles.

Reefmaster1996
My female is about 2.5 inches and the male is about 2 inches. I think they will have another batch within a day or two. They have cleaned the spot squeaky clean. In the meantime, male is still showing that wound on the side. I see a little red there now. They routinely go in and out of the frogspawn tentacles.

Good, my new male is 1.75 inches and the new female is 2 or 2.25 inches long. Okay the spot might be a sting mark from the frogspawn does the female have any sting mark?

Well.. they laid eggs again yesterday, 15 days after the first spawn. Unfortunately, male clownfish still has the ulcer and thing looks a bit worse now. Please look at this short video and see if you can diagnose this condition? He is still taking care of eggs. But, rubbing on the frogspawn as if it is trying to get that hanging tissue.

Reefmaster1996
Well.. they laid eggs again yesterday, 15 days after the first spawn. Unfortunately, male clownfish still has the ulcer and thing looks a bit worse now. Please look at this short video and see if you can diagnose this condition? He is still taking care of eggs. But, rubbing on the frogspawn as if it is trying to get that hanging tissue.

Okay I think it is a bacterial infection you should treat with copper at levels of .30 any higher and you will kill your fish. As long as he is eating he will be fine.Pm me any other questions. GOOD LUCK AND NICE TANK. CHECK OUT MY HAPPY CLOWNS ON YOUTUBE IN QUARITINE, SO FAR SO GOOD.

Mine has this same exact mark in the same exact spot. It seems slightly bubbled up, no?

My LFS said it was a parasite most likely (after seeing a pic) and to remove the clown and gently pull a sharp blade (xacto, etc.) across it to try and remove it while holding the clown down gently out of water.

A few days later the spot disappeared but it's back again now and I just noticed today. Havnt tried removing it but it looks literally EXACTLY like your clown.

Well.. that white stringy looking thing has either fallen off or something. Instead, I see an open wound now. Since it was guarding the eggs, it would whip anything and everything that comes near the nest with its tail. First I suspected that it got the injury trying to whip a snail with pointy shell. I also have few vermetid snails with sharp sticks around the base of the frogspawn they host. I still think it is an injury that got infected. Lets see how it goes. Fish acts normal. Eats food, fights with its reflection on the glass and territorial around the nest except he is an obedient subject of his bossy wife. :)

And also he has fertilized each and every egg. I can see little eyes by 3rd day. I can tell you that injured or not, he is not shooting blanks. I think he rubs too much of pixie dust on the eggs and hair algae starts growing around the nest. Too much fertilizer I guess. :)

Two more days gone by. Ulcer has worse. Bit bigger. Here is a video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7y6H4EwySK4...eature=youtu.be

Sad part is that I was just getting ready to order phyto and rotifer startup cultures to raise the fry. Now I am not sure if this guy is going to last two more spawns. By the time I get my cultures going it would be at least the next spawn. He is acting normal. But the open sore is getting bigger every day. I am not sure if the frogspawn irritates it.

Reefmaster1996
Two more days gone by. Ulcer has worse. Bit bigger. Here is a video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7y6H4EwySK4...eature=youtu.be

Sad part is that I was just getting ready to order phyto and rotifer startup cultures to raise the fry. Now I am not sure if this guy is going to last two more spawns. By the time I get my cultures going it would be at least the next spawn. He is acting normal. But the open sore is getting bigger every day. I am not sure if the frogspawn irritates it.

Treat with a bacterial infection treatment. That's the only advice I have. GOOD LUCK AND HAPPY REEFING!

• 2 weeks later...

Good news and bad news. Good news is that the wound healed after a bacterial treatment. But the bad news is that I see two more white nodules somewhere else. I think he has marine ick (or brookynella). Funny thing is that they laid eggs again today. He went and rubbed his fertilizer on the eggs as if there is nothing wrong. He is now guarding the eggs and every now and then rubs against the rocks. Female has no symptoms. I have a royal gramma in the tank as well. I was just getting ready to grow rotifers to raise the fry and this happened. I never introduced any fish within last 6 months. I have no clue how this parasite lived in the tank without any fish showing any symptoms. I feel terrible. Want to move all 3 fish to a quarantine tank and keep the reef fishless for 8 weeks. That is a long time. :(

Reefmaster1996
Good news and bad news. Good news is that the wound healed after a bacterial treatment. But the bad news is that I see two more white nodules somewhere else. I think he has marine ick (or brookynella). Funny thing is that they laid eggs again today. He went and rubbed his fertilizer on the eggs as if there is nothing wrong. He is now guarding the eggs and every now and then rubs against the rocks. Female has no symptoms. I have a royal gramma in the tank as well. I was just getting ready to grow rotifers to raise the fry and this happened. I never introduced any fish within last 6 months. I have no clue how this parasite lived in the tank without any fish showing any symptoms. I feel terrible. Want to move all 3 fish to a quarantine tank and keep the reef fishless for 8 weeks. That is a long time. :(

I know but this is a hobby that requires patience without it REEFING will not work for you! You are doing great, keep up the good work! I agree with your ideas.GOOD LUCK AND HAPPY REEFING!

I know but this is a hobby that requires patience without it REEFING will not work for you! You are doing great, keep up the good work! I agree with your ideas.GOOD LUCK AND HAPPY REEFING!

+1, if you do everything you say you are you will be just fine. Sorry it has to be such a PITA but man it's better then a bunch of dead fish! ;)

Archived