Top Shelf Aquatics

Purigen or ChemiPure?

HoustonReefer

HoustonReefer

I have a 2G aqueon evolve, and i was wondering if i should put a bag of purigen or chemipure in the filter chamber, or maybe both? what do you guys think? B)

I have a 2G aqueon evolve, and i was wondering if i should put a bag of purigen or chemipure in the filter chamber, or maybe both? what do you guys think? B)

I use both, but if you're short on space, maybe just chemipure elite?

HoustonReefer

i'll see if i can buy a bag of chemipure elite this weekend, and if i still have room ill add the purigen lol

purigen + BRS carbon and GFO. im assuming space will be an issue so this combination will allow you to run all 3 in media bags. its gonna be a bit more expensive but itll last you at least a year (most likely way longer) and you'll be changing your media at realistic intervals. idk how chemipure carbon can effectively last for 3 months...

why do you need either? what is the problem you're trying to correct? that will determine which product, if any, is most appropriate.

HoustonReefer
why do you need either? what is the problem you're trying to correct? that will determine which product, if any, is most appropriate.

I don't have any problems with the tank, I was just wondering what media should I use to keep everything in order in that small tank and due to a reduced space I can't add both lol

Captain Hook
purigen + BRS carbon and GFO. im assuming space will be an issue so this combination will allow you to run all 3 in media bags. its gonna be a bit more expensive but itll last you at least a year (most likely way longer) and you'll be changing your media at realistic intervals. idk how chemipure carbon can effectively last for 3 months...

Chemipure elite lasts for 6months not 3, and is effective for the whole duration. I was even going to leave it in longer...and it works great. Ive never heard of keeping carbon in for 3 months, I normally change mine every 2-3 weeks max or when it starts smelling like ammonia.

Purigen is way over rated. Buy some bulk carbon and some bulk GFO. Mix your own chemi pure elite in a media bag. Or just run the carbon. If you have no phos then you won't need the GFO.

Chemipure elite lasts for 6months not 3, and is effective for the whole duration. I was even going to leave it in longer...and it works great. Ive never heard of keeping carbon in for 3 months, I normally change mine every 2-3 weeks max or when it starts smelling like ammonia.

What do you think chemipure elite is? It is carbon with a little GFO mixed in. So if carbon doesn't last 6 months why do you think chemi pure elite will?

I never use any media for the recommended amount of time, I usually replace half way there just to be on the safe side. But that's just me.

If you had to choose, run the Chemipure Elite.

The one thing I thought was cool for Purigen is that you can recharge it by putting bleach and then rinsing it really really well but I'd imagine if you dont rinse it good enough, bad things would happen...

To me, Chemipure Elite has some sort of carbon + gfo + some sort of resin that looks like you would use in your DI filter. Either way, I run it for at least ~1 months.

I believe there's a Chemipure Elite copy called Pura Complete though I never tried it before.

I use pura complete. it was out long before chemipure, so not a copy. it's also made from vastly superior grades of carbon and GFO.

The one thing I thought was cool for Purigen is that you can recharge it by putting bleach and then rinsing it really really well but I'd imagine if you dont rinse it good enough, bad things would happen...

i followed the instructions and regret not spending a few bucks on a new pack. while i am sure there are many people who successfully recharge purigen, my attempt to "save" $9 cost me hundreds in dead livestock. be extra careful when recharging.

HoustonReefer

Update, i bought a bag of CPE 5oz, and it takes the whole filter chamber lol, and looks like there is room in the pump chamber for a bag of purigen.

The next morning i noticed that the water is very clear!, the shimmer effect from the leds is awesome. :D

Glad I found this thread bc I am now faced with the same decision.

I'm thinking of doing both for my 6 gal fluval edge but.....from what I've read carbon may have an adverse effect on my purple clove polyps.

So what I'm wondering is if the chemipure Elite or Purigen will hurt them from population growth??

I know it may be a dumb question but id rather look dumb over loosing coral anyday! lol

Archived