Cultivated Reef

Great Diffusion Material- Tested only 5% light loss through water

McJosh13

lol, i'll buy a *roll.

For serious? Cuz I'm serious. Haha. I want to tone down the shimmer on my Radions.

Dave Fason never told us what it was or where to get it.

he said he was gonna start selling it but i havent seen it on his site.

Dave, maybe you could input?

Stuff looks just like what I use but in rolls. The stuff I use is like this but much more accurate in diffusing ( percentages ). But this looks like a MUCH cheaper alternative for it. Time will tell on how it lasts to salt water as well.

Using this stuff will make 60-70% of the shimmer go away.

-Dave

nice, take a look at the color banding on the wall behind the tank in the first video.

then take a look at how the banding is gone in the second video.

both videos are 1080p, crank up the quality on youtube to see it.

love the blending you achieve, no more spotting, no more disco fever omgomgomg

I'm definately happy to see a low cost solution. Very nice results. This was a significant reduction in shimmer though. I'd still like to play with some to see what my tank looks like with the lees diffused. Anybody get a shipping cost?

"looks like it removes the shimmer"

The shimmer is reduced but not taken away completely. Really its just toned down from way too much and distracting to a nice more ascetically pleasing level.

"BTW how thick is the material ? how did you mount it on your fixture ?"

The film is very thin maybe a quarter of a millileter, it has an adhesive on one side just peel back the backing and apply. It is easy to remove too, I removed the film after it was on for a couple of days to compare and it came off without leaving any residue or destroying the Plexiglass. Of course after being left on long term who knows if that will still be true.

"looks like it removes the shimmer"

The shimmer is reduced but not taken away completely. Really its just toned down from way too much and distracting to a nice more ascetically pleasing level.

"BTW how thick is the material ? how did you mount it on your fixture ?"

The film is very thin maybe a quarter of a millileter, it has an adhesive on one side just peel back the backing and apply. It is easy to remove too, I removed the film after it was on for a couple of days to compare and it came off without leaving any residue or destroying the Plexiglass. Of course after being left on long term who knows if that will still be true.

how is the shimmer compared to halides?

How much surface agitation do you use in your tank? I wonder if you can bring some of the shimmer back by pointing a power head at the surface.

"how is the shimmer compared to halides?"

This question is hard for me to answer because I have never owned a halide set-up and the last time I saw one was some time ago

"How much surface agitation do you use in your tank? I won. In wonder if you can bring some of the shimmer back by pointing a power head at the surface. "

I don'twant you to get the idea that there is no shimmer, there definetley is shimmer and the amount of shimmer is pretty much right where I want it. The video was taken with my bottom of the line cannon 12mp camera. As you can see the video is over-exposed so you can't see the shimmer lines unless they are extremely excessive like in the first video. I will take new videos tomorrow after work that will hopefully better illustrate the difference in color banding and shimmer

a buddy of mine does landscaping and uses LED's all the time for outdoor lighting. He uses Luminitco's diffusers. Not sure how it would do on a reef like but at the end of the day they're diffusing LED's which is what were aiming for. Its high quality stuff and it isnt cheap. Pretty sure its what you see on other LED fixtures.

http://www.luminitco.com

This material looks great!

A shame that they only ship to the United States and Canada :(

Anybody that are willing to order an extra sheet and forward it to Norway?

Ofcourse I'll pay any extra shipping! :)

Pls. let me know on PM, if anybody would be so kind :)

Due to complaints about the quality of the videos I have redone them. For the without video I removed the Plexiglas completely since I'm definitely not taking the film back off. Enjoy

Without Film

With Film

• 1 month later...

Do you think that the PAR would be affected differently if the diffuser material was further away from the LED's? I'm asking because my plexiglass which is protecting the LED's is about 6-7 inches away from the LED's.

• 1 month later...
Do you think that the PAR would be affected differently if the diffuser material was further away from the LED's? I'm asking because my plexiglass which is protecting the LED's is about 6-7 inches away from the LED's.

right on for sharing and great find.

just ordered a roll should get it by wed.

That is hard for me to answer without doing an experiment to find out

right on for sharing and great find.

just ordered a roll should get it by wed.

Thanks, you will not be disappointed! ;)

• 1 year later...

so got the material in today. i cut piece of plexi to attach it to so i can remove it from the light. at first i thought well it does nothing. I was putting the plexi right ontop of the LEDs that doesnt cause any difference. you have to have it about 1" below the leds for it to actually make any difference. at around 1" or so below it removes some of the fast jitter and blends little better and slows some of the shimmer

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived