Coral Vue Hydros

New office shot of my tank.

Since my last photos I've pick up 3-4 more corals and I'll show pictures of those once they settle in.

officeshot.jpg

And here is a picture of my Radiant Wrasse who has made sure the monti eating nudis are eradicated. A tiny anemone is also in this picture. I picked up both of them from the same place.

20120718officenano1200.jpg

Edited by Scorched_Ice7

Love the office!! Very clean and stylish ahah.

Besides the fish tank my room is quite boring actually. The company however is very cool http://vimeo.com/24276773. You never see my room in the video but if you pause as soon as the video starts you'll see a railing at the top left. My room is on that balcony.

Whoa, you work at a music studio??? Sweet! I've never been to one before... Hahah.

Its a post production studio. We do everything from the creative idea through finishing. We do a lot of music work but all of my stuff is visual effects. My reel and some of my work is on my website www.eschulist.com

I really should get that updated as well. There are probably 10 or more commercials I've done in the past year that aren't on there yet.

Thanks man! Is it dimmable and do you see growth?

That is the lights biggest drawback. There is no way to control the light except raising or lowering it. I have each of the colors on separate timers though so I can have only blue LEDs on in the morning and evening and then both on for 7 hours in the middle of the day. I bought an inline dimmer hoping I could control the intensity going to the fixture but it was just jump from off to 100% on and back.

I haven't seen large amounts of growth except for a few pieces that I can see are encrusting onto the rocks. A few of the pieces I've had the longest I've definitely seen change though since I've gotten them. My red monti has become way more vibrant, the torch is growing longer polyps, my ponape birdsnest has multiple splits at the tips of its branches. Would a halide or T5 fixture give me better growth or color, perhaps, but I dont have the money to spend on a new fixture to test.

Deleted User 4
Its a post production studio. We do everything from the creative idea through finishing. We do a lot of music work but all of my stuff is visual effects. My reel and some of my work is on my website www.eschulist.com

I really should get that updated as well. There are probably 10 or more commercials I've done in the past year that aren't on there yet.

Wow, it's amazing how you've done some of the commercials I've enjoyed watching in the previous times of watching television. You must be making quite a fortune yourself ahha. Seems like you would enjoy this kind of work field.

the radiant wrasse is very nice. Does it go into the sand alot or to sleep in? i'm thinking of maybe getting one. too cool :D

Or a Mystery Wrasse ...... :huh:

Edited by jT415Gz

the radiant wrasse is very nice. Does it go into the sand alot or to sleep in? i'm thinking of maybe getting one. too cool :D

Or a Mystery Wrasse ...... :huh:

LOL funny you should say that. I once had my family visit from out of state and they wanted to see where I worked so I of course showed them the office and my tank. It was about 10-11pm so everything was dark at the office. I turned all the lights on for the building and turned my tank LEDs on. Everyone was sleeping and all the corals were closed up. For the longest time I could not find the radiant wrasse. The clownfish was hovering in the back and the blenny was in his rock hole. But the wrasse was no where. I was convinced it had jumped just hours before showing them the tank. The next work day the wrasse was swimming about and I had no idea where he hid. So I stayed late that day til about 6-7pm and after the lights went out and everyone started leaving work I actually watched him dart in and out of the sand til he found a place to sleep. I was really cool to watch.

A mystery wrasse would be awesome as well

• 2 weeks later...

what an Outstanding job you had done with this biuld. I enjoyed reading this.

Love the new radiant Wrasse

awesome tank !!! love ur new unique clown ! i would love to have that tank beside my desk :)))

Thanks guys!!

This tank looks great but it still has its ups and downs.

All the fish are doing amazing but the corals are just not what I wish they would be. Many of them look kinda drab in color or have slowly died. The montipora eating nudis have returned as I pulled out 2 larger ones early this morning. So there are probably many more tiny ones in the rocks. And it so frustrating, the montiporas are some of my favorite corals, especially the spongodes and capricornis. But if these guys continue to eat away I probably wont be able to have another for months or more. I also believe I had a heater failure a while ago. It wasn't major enough to kill the entire system but the temperature was never consistent. One day the water would be warm when I stuck my hand in to fix something, and another day it would be very cold. So I just tossed the heater and bought a new one as well as a temp probe to make sure this one is staying where I want it to be.

• 3 months later...

Some updates since its been awhile. I was more or less just embarrassed to share my troubles.

I lost a few of the corals I had sadly during the summer, things I either bought from local club members or got at the spring frag swap. They were just losing color and losing tissue over a few months. Others that hung in there just werent as colorful as they once were. I lost all of my cool montis to nudibranches. I still found a massive one this morning. These $%#@ need to die!!

I attended the fall swap and picked up a small anemone and some lps corals hoping if I didn't get an SPS it would stay alive... but a week or so later and the corals were starting the descend like all the others.

I couldnt figure out what I was doing wrong so I just took a step back and went back to the basics. Cut my GAC and GFO usage by about 1/2. Completely took the sump and return pump apart for a much needed cleaning - wow there was a lot of gunk built up inside. After everything was vinegar soaked and cleaned I reassembled everything and did a bunch of large water changes over a week. All of my corals were losing color and the tissue loss was always on the tops. So I then raised my light to almost a foot above the water and blocked some of the white LEDs (I dont have dimming control so this was the next best thing).

And the next day all of the corals I got from the swap, maze brain, acans were open and the flesh was puffed. Fast forward til now and my corals are finally looking nice again. I will still have to wait on the light adjustment to see if my psammocora, frogspawn, brain and other regain their deep green coloration. It looks like its heading that way at least.

I've been more persistent with my water changes, sometimes doing it twice a week and doing a few gallons more each time. I want to stock up on a few more corals over Christmas break if everything in my tank stays healthy. I don't want to share pictures quite yet. It looks a little sad to only see a few corals and the same fish when the tank has been set up for months.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I have the whole week off so tank updates a plenty are incoming. Tomorrow I'm finishing my much needed screen top - No more jumping fish. And it will finally allow me to keep one of my childhood desires, a Helfrichi Firefish.

Also during the week I plan to stop by some of my local reef club members and purchase some frags, so those pictures will show up later this week. Should be exciting!! And thanks to my mother-in-law I will also have to spend a nice gift certificate to a local fish store... I wonder what I will get there... any ideas? I was thinking maybe a clam. Something thats a little harder to buy from a fellow reefer or get as a frag.

• Like 1

Wow

I LOVE the tank i actually

Wanted to do a edge spec v couse

Of the length but man your

Tank is sick! I love it. Where you

Work at I would work there for free just

To be able to be in such a cool building. I cant wait for updates!

Wow I LOVE the tank i actually Wanted to do a edge spec v couse Of the length but man your Tank is sick! I love it. Where you Work at I would work there for free just To be able to be in such a cool building. I cant wait for updates!

Thanks!

Lol for a few months I did work there for free because it was so cool - I did an internship there while I was in college and after I graduated was hired on full time.