Coral Vue Hydros

New Clownfish

Huge lack of updates so I'll get everything caught up.

This was my first clownfish "Steve" He was originally in my 5.5 gallon at work and was transfer over 2 weeks ago. He was having a great time and 3 days later jumped out the back and fell behind the stand. Sadness :tears:

stevesfirstswim.jpg

Then last week Sun I went to the local fish store with my wife to pick out a new fish and the first coral. The new fish is Neo. He is misbared on one side and completely missing a bar on the other. The first coral is a gold torch. With regular lights it looks pale green but under blue LEDs only it is definitely orange.

newclownneo1.jpg

newclownneo2.jpg

Diatom bloom then hit pretty hard that week so I ordered a cleanup crew off reefcleaners.org I ordered the 10 gallon quick crew and it came with sooooo many snails. The larger ones were close to the number in the item description but there were 10X the amount of dwarf ceriths. They quickly dug themselves into the sandbed and made fairly quick work of the diatoms in the next few days. There was a little left on Friday as you will see in the next images but I imagine most of it will be gone this week.

diatoms.jpg

First Corals

Thursday after work I went around town to a few local reefers houses and bought frags from large colonies and frag tanks that they had. Here is the tank as of Friday.

ftsfirstcorals2.jpg

newcoralsangle.jpg

newcoralsotherangle.jpg

I dont know the name of this one but I thought it was the coolest piece and paid for the whole colony. Anyone have an ID?

greensps.jpg

A few heads of frogspawn

frogspawn.jpg

A blue rimmed green monti cap. I would still like to get one more cap to complete the collection. An all purple version.

bluetipgreenmontisps.jpg

An encrusting piece called Purple Haze.

purplehazesps.jpg

So, what do you guys think?

Looks great! Sorry to hear about your clown... With my new rimless Pico I have on order I plan on putting a wire top on when I'm not at home just incase

green sps coral ID: branching hydnophora or branching psammocora

Thanks SneekaPeek The branching psammacora looks correct.

http://www.orafarm.com/blog/2011/07/31/kel...-now-available/

Looks great! Sorry to hear about your clown... With my new rimless Pico I have on order I plan on putting a wire top on when I'm not at home just incase

Thanks mpsti05, he was a great clown. Was with me all through college and lived with me in many apartment buildings.

Ya I was thinking about doing a top as well for nights and weekends. During the day though I'd leave it off to keep the clean look.

I think it looks awesome so far....great job ice.

looks really good man. coming along well :D

keep up the good work!

nice looking corals, sry about the old fish man.

Looks awesome!

I can tell this tank is gona be sweet.

This is just beautiful. I love these long shallow tanks.

Great work, keep it up :)

Looking really nice. I love that green branching coral.

Definitely my favorite piece!

Looking great, love the clear background. So crisp!

THANKS GUYS!! A few more pieces to add and then its time to grow :D

Looks good. I keep tossing around the idea of getting a light like yours. Do you still like it?

Im still really liking it. The length fit perfectly. The only things I might change would be having some sort dimming control so I could dial in the amount of blue. With both on it has a very crisp white light, with a overall blue/purple hue. Its cool to see the corals under only blue leds but its a little much so I'd like some manual control for that.

wow tank looks great!

Love this tank! Awesome rock scape! Keep the updates coming!

Thanks guys!

Coworker came into my office today and said "Wow those rocks look clean"

And they were, every bit of diatoms has ended and the snails have cleaned everything up. The rocks are back to a pristine white. I added a few pieces of live rock from my previous tank that had deep purple coraline. Hopefully that will start to grow in the next month.

Ordered Red Sea Pro Coral Salt as well as their reef test kit that includes Cal, Mag, Alk. Well see how the levels are when the kit arrives. I also ordered Kalk so I can add that to my top off water slowly to raise the levels up. Then with regular water changes with the Red Sea salt and top off I should be good for more SPS and growth.

I really like the aqua scape in your tank. I grew up in Minneapolis but I moved to Boulder,CO after school. A couple pieces of SPS would look pretty sweet in there.

Thanks Grimm

It will have a fair amount of SPS once its stocked. I just picked up a few new corals and fish so I will post pictures and maybe even a video of them soon.

Thanks Grimm

It will have a fair amount of SPS once its stocked. I just picked up a few new corals and fish so I will post pictures and maybe even a video of them soon.

Nice dude, I can't wait. Is there some pretty sweet LFS in Minneapolis ? I left before I got into reefing and have never got the chance to explore the scene when I visit.