ReefCleaners.org

just went throught this whole build thread....what what a lot of reading i had to do lol. very nice build and now my wife wants me to build a simular tank after showing her the pictures lol

• Like 1

just went throught this whole build thread....what what a lot of reading i had to do lol. very nice build and now my wife wants me to build a simular tank after showing her the pictures lol

Glad you both enjoyed it. All the good stuff is in the first 5 pages or so but there were a few major changes here and there that were probably worth reading through to find.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.

I can't remember if I've commented before but this is truly amazing, excellent work, lovely stocking choices as well.

How many GPH would you say are moving through the display? I'm setting up to run a closed loop when mine gets here with a MJ1200 (approx. 250GPH after restriction loss), and a Koralia Nano 425 for now.

• Like 1

I can't remember if I've commented before but this is truly amazing, excellent work, lovely stocking choices as well.

How many GPH would you say are moving through the display? I'm setting up to run a closed loop when mine gets here with a MJ1200 (approx. 250GPH after restriction loss), and a Koralia Nano 425 for now.

The Eheim is rated for 650gph and I have it slightly dialed back, so with headloss its probably around 500 or so. If its a true closed loop with no air entering the pipe, Id get rid of all powerheads in the tank and just use a bigger pump. 500-800gph maybe even more.

The live stream is very nice B) I'm very jealous of this set up keep it up!

Thanks. I only did it for two days with my iphone so those are just old archives. I need to set up a gofundme page or something and raise the $50-60 I'd need for a high quality webcam so it can be live all the time.

• Like 2

The Eheim is rated for 650gph and I have it slightly dialed back, so with headloss its probably around 500 or so. If its a true closed loop with no air entering the pipe, Id get rid of all powerheads in the tank and just use a bigger pump. 500-800gph maybe even more.

It is designed as a true closed loop using lily pipes. I'm using 1/2" ID tubing for it so a Sicce 1.5 or a Mag 7 might be what I end up going with. I figure a Mag 7 would definitely do the job flow wise, I would need to cut flow a bunch most likely. It's not exactly the kind of closed loop you're probably thinking of though, here's a link with sort of a sketch of what my thought is right now. (Though instead I should be using 3-5x of the BRS reactors, no mini or anything.)

I have considered picking up some more lily pipes and making it a serious closed loop like k427's 18 Gallon, but for now I want to try with just the one set. If I see need to eventually what I might do is get a couple sets of 17mm pipes, the CAL Aqua ones I got are 13mm.

Yep I encourage anyone to add to this thread or PM me if they have questions with building a similar style. I'm following at least 4-5 tanks that were inspired by this design.

j5KLDPJl.jpg

Hi,

Nice tank you have. I would like to have a simular tank : 150cmx35cmx40 cm wh. (about 60 inch - 13.7 inch - 15.75 inch waterheight). I hope when I get started, you can give me some tips.

Love your tank; greetz Marc

• Like 1

nice live stream but i would like to see the front of tank and not the side of the plumbing :P

I have 2-3 videos each about an hour or 2 long. I moved the camera about every 15-30 minutes. You can see the front of the tank for quite a while in one of them. I was just using an iphone so the quality isn't the greatest.

did your lighting fixture come with any optics? doesnt look like you have much light overspray...i hate to look at a tank with so much light overspray that it blinds me up close

did your lighting fixture come with any optics? doesnt look like you have much light overspray...i hate to look at a tank with so much light overspray that it blinds me up close

Yea each LED has a lens. I'm not sure of the angle. They are probably 90s. It also helps that they are slightly recessed into the fixture so looking at it straight on you can't see the LEDs, you have to go below the light to see them.

Yea each LED has a lens. I'm not sure of the angle. They are probably 90s. It also helps that they are slightly recessed into the fixture so looking at it straight on you can't see the LEDs, you have to go below the light to see them.

I can confirm that they're 90 degree lenses. Just looked it up in my emails from when I was buying the light :)

Man I love this setup. I was going to build a planted tank but I think you just pushed me over the edge for a another nano. Ive been away for a bit. Quick question what light would you recommend for this type of setup. Preferably around 200-300 max. I want dimmable and multi channel if possible.

Thanks in Advance.

I have been looking at this light. Scorched was this your original light with the addition of dimmer/timer and red and green LED? Do you all think this would light the 12 gallon long sufficient for SPS?

http://www.21ledusa.com/aquarium_led_reefbar_pro_36_ultra_actinic_p/rbpua36.htm

Thats different than my original light but probably better. I was able to sustain sps with my old light so this light would most likely work.

I'd definitely get the dimmer.

The model you linked is ONLY blue/uv. I'd recommend the full spectrum version that has whites/blues/uvs etc. The only thing I don't like about it is how they group the LEDs and there are only 2 dimmers. They group red with blue, and green with white. Turning either of these dimmers very high is going to give you too much red or green in my opinion. And like my old light, you have to buy separate timers to turn them on and off, and when they turn on they are 0 to full blast.

Also eyeing this light.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/36-48-IR-Remote-Led-Aquarium-3W-Light-for-Coral-Reef-Marine-Light-System-/261718657173?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cefa5c895

Defiantly not trying to jack your thread its just pure 12 gallon focus and your light seems so nice.

I think that one is better than the last one you linked. If cost is really a factor but you want dimming / full spectrum / lots of control I'd look through some of the aliexpress and alibaba lights. That's were I found both of mine, 2 different manufacturers but they both came exactly as advertised and were 1/2 the cost or more than the name brand US models.

Very similar to my light but sold by a different factory (According to others the place I ordered from no longer ships that light to the US)

www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Wifi-Illumination-coral-reef-programmable-cree_1749346813.html

www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Full-spectrum-marine-best-dimmable-life_1839522519.html

www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Programmable-hot-selling-main-life-tech_1454701446.html

For all of these links you must copy paste them, they dont work if you click on them for some reason.

• Like 1

Scorched,

I have a mr aqua as we'll,I have a dosing question. How much Kalk do you dose with and can I dose without a doser?

Also what do you think about a small refugium? I just added one with chemi pure and chaeto

Thanks again Scorched. I have sent out a couple inquries but have not got any responses back yet. I will keep looking thanks for the suggestions.

It takes them about a day to get back to you. They are on the other side of the world. Once you get in touch with them ask if they have skype or some other messaging system so you can quickly text back and forth so you aren't waiting forever to bounce emails back and forth.

Scorched,

I have a mr aqua as we'll,I have a dosing question. How much Kalk do you dose with and can I dose without a doser?

Also what do you think about a small refugium? I just added one with chemi pure and chaeto

On a tank this small I think the refugium is kind of a waste. Just my opinion. The volume of water and size of the fuge is just so small that I think they have almost zero impact on the tank. Your better served with chemical media or a skimmer in that space. if you're putting this fuge in an Aquaclear filter, I'd just run media and a sponge. Clean the sponge every few days and replace the media every other water change or so.

As for the kalk Im pretty much at a max dosage per gallon of water. I mix it until the water is fully saturated and can't hold anymore. Each tank will require a different amount based on their consumption. I didn't need kalk for over a year. When I was adding it in the first few months I was probably killing corals. After I stopped I had a lot less deaths. Now I rarely lose a coral for months.

The doser is really important. It helps keep all of the additionals of kalk to the tank spaced apart in equal amounts, it keeps them small, its only added a night when ph naturally drops, and its almost impossible to overdose from a doser. If for whatever reason it got stuck on it would take a long time to empty the whole jug. And I only use a 1 gallon jug so if it did add all of the solution in one night the tank would survive.

Thank's for the advice The pics a little old

I now have on one side is the mp 10 and other side I have jaebo 40

Flow seems to be perfect now. No dead spots and a lot cleaner looking

post-73220-0-43022900-1424915790_thumb.jpg

Thank's for the advice The pics a little old

I now have on one side is the mp 10 and other side I have jaebo 40

Flow seems to be perfect now. No dead spots and a lot cleaner looking

Looks awesome dude. Ya having the flow go the length of the tank works well for these dimensions.

Nice. Ya thats a little more money but it has the full spectrum lights, more control, and lets you ramp them up and down throughout the day. And with free shipping that a hard price to beat for all of those features. Post some pictures once you get it all set up.

• 2 weeks later...
BOBBARKER68

So I have read your build and have asked some questions. I wanna say great tank, looks fantastic. Thanks for getting back to me about my questions. Like it says above copy on :lol: When you have some time check out my build, let me know your thoughts.