Pod Your Reef

Plumbing the tank

I went into work and finished drilling the glass as well as drilling my stand for piping. I got all the fittings on and everything tightened. The vinyl tubing was a bit of a pain in the ass. It took a few minutes with a blow dryer and lots of mustering to get them on. They were so snug that on one of them I screwed up and I couldn't get it off. Even after heating the piping up. I ended up having to cut the tube length-wise at the barb connection to get it off. Then once I fixed my mistake I really had to grunt to get it back on.overflowwide.jpgoverflowoutside.jpgoverflowinside.jpgEmpty FTS after my leak testing.plumbingfts.jpgStand Plumbingplumbingsetup.jpgI filled it all up and found out I had one leak. In my excitement to put it all together I forgot to put plumbers tape on the first elbow that went into the bulkhead. I drained out a few gallons and fixed the leak. I filled it all up again turned the pump on and admired the flow. It was fun to watch for awhile but quickly saw that my return pump was pushing up way more water than what was going down. I turned the valve I installed after the pump and dialed it down a little so it wouldnt overflow. But this wasn't what I was expecting.At 100% the pump was doing an amazing job circulating the water and making the spinners cause a nice wave. I had to dial my pump down to around 60% and then the spinners slowed to a crawl and it became quite anticlimactic.I based my design on the Oceanlife Overflow and Xaqua Inout and they both use one 1" drain and a 1/2" return. The Xaqua recommends using a Eheim 1260 with their overflow so thats what I used.I however have 2 1" drains and 2 1/2" returns, BUT my returns are Wyed and are coming from the same pump. So I should have twice the drain speed but I don't. What can I do to increase my draining speed. Do I need to add tiny airlines to the top of my drains?? What will increase the speed? I figured one drain would have been able to handle the flow, and the other would just be for emergency.Sorry I have no pictures with it full of water, I was a little disappointed that two 1" drains couldn't beat a single return with head pressure.Help!!! All my planning and it isnt working like I hoped.

Where did you get the elbows? I need two 3/4" ones. And did you saw off the excess threaded portion of the bulkhead? Looks like you reduced them quite a bit. I plan on having one 3/4" drain and one 3/4" return both on the back of my tank and on opposite ends with a 420 gph pump supplying the return from my sump. Do you think this will result in the same drain/return overflow problem you had?

• Like 1

This is such a hot tank. I've seen quite a few 12g long tank threads pop up since you've won TOTM. I think Mr. Aqua should send you some free stuff given all the sales they've had from people ogling over your tank and buying one. :)

It sure has convinced me to build one. ;)

I absolutely love the light you have by the way, all the pics you post are nothing short of gorgeous due to that light. I've been searching ebay for one like it with not luck unfortunately :wacko::blush:

Keep on inspiring people! It's cool to see tank builds other than AIOs

• Like 1

Where did you get the elbows? I need two 3/4" ones. And did you saw off the excess threaded portion of the bulkhead? Looks like you reduced them quite a bit. I plan on having one 3/4" drain and one 3/4" return both on the back of my tank and on opposite ends with a 420 gph pump supplying the return from my sump. Do you think this will result in the same drain/return overflow problem you had?

The problem was more of a miscalculation. I thought I would be able to move a lot more water than I actually could. I figured with 2 1" drains I'd be able to move way more than 500gph but thats all it can handle. I was upset that I didn't have the pressure needed to spin my nano spinners as each of them required 500+ to get them to spin faster than a crawl. So in the end I took them off and just go with the max amount of flow that the drains allow.

If you are only using a SINGLE 3/4" drain you will probably only be in the 2-250gph range is my guess. And by having a larger return line your flow out of the return will seem less powerful as it isn't under as much pressure. Think of it as covering your thumb on a garden hose. No thumb and the water pours out in an arc. Cover half of it with your thumb and it will shoot with more force and go further. Both are pushing the same amount of water. If you plan to use powerheads inside your tank this isn't as big of an issue as you are then using that as your water motion. I didn't want powerheads so this design is made the way it is for that reason.

Correct, the bulkheads are cut short so that they are low profile.

Otherwise you get something like this. And sticking out 2-3" was not cool with me.

bulkheadplumbing1.jpg

The elbows are standard thread x barb elbows. I either got them from marinedepot or a home improvement store. Make sure your bulkheads are Thread x Thread. When you cut off the ends you are now using the interior threads from the front of the bulkhead for screwing on. Use liquid Teflon for a watertight seal. I used Teflon tape and it leaked after a year or two.

Nice long tank!

Thank you!

This is such a hot tank. I've seen quite a few 12g long tank threads pop up since you've won TOTM. I think Mr. Aqua should send you some free stuff given all the sales they've had from people ogling over your tank and buying one. :)

It sure has convinced me to build one. ;)

I absolutely love the light you have by the way, all the pics you post are nothing short of gorgeous due to that light. I've been searching ebay for one like it with not luck unfortunately :wacko::blush:

Keep on inspiring people! It's cool to see tank builds other than AIOs

I've gotten lots of messages from people wanting to recreate the tank themselves and its very flattering. I hope your tank turns out great too!

The light has definitely helped improve the corals survival rate and color. Its unfortunate that the company doesn't want to sell to individual people anymore. I probably generated 10-20 possible sales for them that they no longer want to fulfill. But I understand that they want to do sales in larger bulk volumes. If I was more of an entrepreneur I would have said I would be their US contact for the light and resold them through me, but I'm just doing this as a hobby.

• Like 1

I've gotten lots of messages from people wanting to recreate the tank themselves and its very flattering. I hope your tank turns out great too!

The light has definitely helped improve the corals survival rate and color. Its unfortunate that the company doesn't want to sell to individual people anymore. I probably generated 10-20 possible sales for them that they no longer want to fulfill. But I understand that they want to do sales in larger bulk volumes. If I was more of an entrepreneur I would have said I would be their US contact for the light and resold them through me, but I'm just doing this as a hobby.

Sorry if I missed this, but theres a ton of info in the 43 pages of this topic: is your light dimmable or controllable in any way?

My old light was not. I had it from the beginning Post #32

Blue/White only, Non-Dimming, no Ramping. Had it for 2 years and is whats over the tank in my TOTM photos.

After I changed offices I bought a new light from AquaSunrise "Shenzhen Sosci Technology." It has 4 channels of 7 LED colors all controllable from 0-100 with 9 setpoints. So it ramps up the blues and cyans in the morning. Peaks at 100% blue, 50% white, 30% color (red, green, violet, uv), and 50% cyan and then ramps back down throughout the day.

I had fun a few days ago by covering up the red and green leds. I turned every channel off except for the color channel maxed to 100%. So all that was showing was UV light. The corals had some wicked psychedelic colors.

• Like 1

My old light was not. I had it from the beginning Post #32

Blue/White only, Non-Dimming, no Ramping. Had it for 2 years and is whats over the tank in my TOTM photos.

After I changed offices I bought a new light from AquaSunrise "Shenzhen Sosci Technology." It has 4 channels of 7 LED colors all controllable from 0-100 with 9 setpoints. So it ramps up the blues and cyans in the morning. Peaks at 100% blue, 50% white, 30% color (red, green, violet, uv), and 50% cyan and then ramps back down throughout the day.

I had fun a few days ago by covering up the red and green leds. I turned every channel off except for the color channel maxed to 100%. So all that was showing was UV light. The corals had some wicked psychedelic colors.

Let's see some pics of those psychedelic colors! ;)

Let's see some pics of those psychedelic colors! ;)

I didn't bring my dslr to work today, and Im gone on vacation pretty much until Jan 2. I will stop in every few days to refill my topoff container and feed the fish so I may take some photos then. I have no idea how well the camera will be able to capture the UV light though. I've had difficulty before just taking Blue LED photos.

• Like 2

Hey Scorched,

I'm sorry if you went over this already,I won't lie I skimmed over the thread but don't recall seeing it,did the "wave maker" actually work or did you not put it to use ? I know you said it stuck out too far for your likings.

Anyways,I've always loved this tank,and that Tort is ridiculous man.

Hey Scorched,

I'm sorry if you went over this already,I won't lie I skimmed over the thread but don't recall seeing it,did the "wave maker" actually work or did you not put it to use ? I know you said it stuck out too far for your likings.

I think he said his returns weren't running as fast as he thought they were going to and the swirling wave thingys weren't getting enough flow to operate properly

Hey Scorched,

I think he said his returns weren't running as fast as he thought they were going to and the swirling wave thingys weren't getting enough flow to operate properly

Yep what he said.

If I only had one return line with all 500-600gph going through one 1/2" bulkhead instead of 2, the spinner worked well and rotated at a good speed and had a good swirling flow. But when I had 2 each one was only getting 250-300gph and that wasn't enough to get the interior part to rotate. They also did look kind of bulky inside the tank so I nixed them. I still have both of them if someone wanted to buy them and give them a try, but for me they were just meh.

Yep what he said.

If I only had one return line with all 500-600gph going through one 1/2" bulkhead instead of 2, the spinner worked well and rotated at a good speed and had a good swirling flow. But when I had 2 each one was only getting 250-300gph and that wasn't enough to get the interior part to rotate. They also did look kind of bulky inside the tank so I nixed them. I still have both of them if someone wanted to buy them and give them a try, but for me they were just meh.

I definitely think your build will be the standard by which all other 12g long tanks will be measured, and so I just started a Mr. Aqua 12g long build thread inspired by this build for anyone who wants to see this tank built from another perspective.

Not to try and jack your thread, but to give inspirational credit where its due

• Like 1

I was inspired by this build but I took a different approach and evidently have too much free time for all the DIYs...lol

I definitely think your build will be the standard by which all other 12g long tanks will be measured, and so I just started a Mr. Aqua 12g long build thread inspired by this build for anyone who wants to see this tank built from another perspective.

Not to try and jack your thread, but to give inspirational credit where its due

I was inspired by this build but I took a different approach and evidently have too much free time for all the DIYs...lol

I've read through your thread too, super sharp looking!!

What did you use for the black background? Paint?

Well I have the whole week off so tank updates a plenty are incoming. Tomorrow I'm finishing my much needed screen top - No more jumping fish. And it will finally allow me to keep one of my childhood desires, a Helfrichi Firefish.

Also during the week I plan to stop by some of my local reef club members and purchase some frags, so those pictures will show up later this week. Should be exciting!! And thanks to my mother-in-law I will also have to spend a nice gift certificate to a local fish store... I wonder what I will get there... any ideas? I was thinking maybe a clam. Something thats a little harder to buy from a fellow reefer or get as a frag.

Did you build the screen yourself? I need to find or fabricate one. My girlfriend says I am not allowed to move my fish over to the new tank till I find a top for it as my two fish are firefish and although I've never seen them try to jump, my current biocube has the lid so I have yet to know if they really do or not. I ordered the Pukani rock from BRS as well as some new sand to do a complete new cycle in the new tank as I believe there is something in my current biocube that keeps killing clowns :( all I will be moving from the old tank is a Coral banded shrimp, two firefish and a few frags that I have yet to attach to anything yet. Another question, what are the water parameters you shoot for and how often do you water change? I am going to shoot for 3-5 gallons per week for my 19-20 gallon system.

I've read through your thread too, super sharp looking!!

What did you use for the black background? Paint?

It is auto adhesive vinyl, you can grab some off eBay for less than $6. I like that better than paint, less messy and way faster to do with perfect result.

• Like 1

Did you build the screen yourself? I need to find or fabricate one. My girlfriend says I am not allowed to move my fish over to the new tank till I find a top for it as my two fish are firefish and although I've never seen them try to jump, my current biocube has the lid so I have yet to know if they really do or not. I ordered the Pukani rock from BRS as well as some new sand to do a complete new cycle in the new tank as I believe there is something in my current biocube that keeps killing clowns :( all I will be moving from the old tank is a Coral banded shrimp, two firefish and a few frags that I have yet to attach to anything yet. Another question, what are the water parameters you shoot for and how often do you water change? I am going to shoot for 3-5 gallons per week for my 19-20 gallon system.

Yes the screen is a simple DIY project. Go to a home improvement store (Lowes Home Depot etc) and look for the window screen section. They have kits to make screens or the individual pieces if you already have somethings.

I actually have no idea on the water parameters. I haven't tested the water in over a year. I go by the looks and health of the corals to determine if something is off. I think too much harm happens when you test, tweak, test, tweak, over and over. The only think I check is the salinity of the water going in and out when I do water changes to make sure they match. I do about 5 gallons a week, but sometimes that slips to once every 2 weeks if I'm busy with work.

• Like 1

Yes the screen is a simple DIY project. Go to a home improvement store (Lowes Home Depot etc) and look for the window screen section. They have kits to make screens or the individual pieces if you already have somethings.

I actually have no idea on the water parameters. I haven't tested the water in over a year. I go by the looks and health of the corals to determine if something is off. I think too much harm happens when you test, tweak, test, tweak, over and over. The only think I check is the salinity of the water going in and out when I do water changes to make sure they match. I do about 5 gallons a week, but sometimes that slips to once every 2 weeks if I'm busy with work.

Cool thanks! I'll check out Home Depot when I get the rest of my plumbing parts. And I should check mine less I suppose. My clown was struggling so I was always messing with the tank but since I placed the clown in quarantine where he later died and haven't touched my 14 gal tank in over 2 weeks and just looking at it today I know my few frags and corals are better than ever.

Cleaning Rocks and Sand

According a few local reefers and Reef Central Pukani rock has been known to leech phosphates and dead material long after it is introduced into a new tank. So today I went out and bought some muriatic acid and did a little cookout.

This batch I just started with my smaller pieces and rubble from when I cut off the bottoms of my main display rocks. I wanted to test the amount of dry off and crap that would come off the little pieces and make sure it wouldn't destroy the nice rocks I was planning to use.

cookingpukani1.jpg

A few minutes later you can really see the brown gunk that started to rise to the top.

cookingpukani2.jpg

When it stopped bubbling I emptied the solution and pressure washed off anything remaining. Tons of green and brown slim as well as numerous chunks of tiny organic debris was left on the bottom.

After I saw the results of the bright white rocks with no more crap I refilled the container, added the acid and dunked the large pieces. Lots of bubbles now!!

cookingpukani3.jpg

I also washed my Flamingo Reef Sand probably 20-30 times until it started to get really clear. It was still a little cloudy but compared to the thick milk that poured out of the sand on the first rinse I am glad I did it.

Overall tons of crap was removed that didn't need to go into the tank.

Do you mix the muriatic acid with water before putting the rocks in? or do you just throw the rocks in the bucket and pour the muriatic acid over them? and is there a time limit you wanna keep track of or just leave them in until they stop bubbling. I hear you wanna use baking soda in the end to neutralize the acid before pulling rocks out and disposing. let me know. Thanks!

Nate

Do you mix the muriatic acid with water before putting the rocks in? or do you just throw the rocks in the bucket and pour the muriatic acid over them? and is there a time limit you wanna keep track of or just leave them in until they stop bubbling. I hear you wanna use baking soda in the end to neutralize the acid before pulling rocks out and disposing. let me know. Thanks!

Nate

Mix up the solution before adding the rocks. No time limit, until it stops bubbling is a good indicator that it has eaten away all of the decaying material. You could leave it in a few extra minutes but know that the longer you leave it in the more the rock dissolves.

I didn't neutralize it but it would probably help. As long as you really rinse out the rock afterwards and let it completely dry you shouldnt have any issues.

Biggest thing with the muriatic acid wash is safety. Wear gloves and eye protection, even sunglasses are better than nothing.

• 2 weeks later...

I really shouldn't need yet another drain. My design was based off the Xaqua and a single one can handle aprox 500 gph. Im running a 625gph pump with head lose, so maybe 550-600 total is going up. The Xaqua uses one drain and can handle a 1260 pump, but my two drain design can not?!

Any other options to increase the flow going down. A local reefer mentioned put a hole in the top of each elbow with some airline tubing. Anyone want to double or triple confirm that? Are there any other options? Would using even smaller return tubing cut my flow but increase pressure for the spinners?

So got all my plumbing working in a quick easy fashion. Running my two 3/4" (one drain and one return) the flow is just about right. The only thing is, I can get the water above the drain strainer by blocking my drain for a few seconds and then release it and it goes right back to the same level where is likes to be which is a couple of centimeters below the very top of my strainer where it makes a awful slurping noise, although it is draining and returning properly and at a great rate the slurping sound is unbearable. Any idea around this? I was thinking maybe drilling a hole in the top of the drain pipe behind the strainer. Thanks! Nate

Mr Aqua 12 gal.

Well I have the whole week off so tank updates a plenty are incoming. Tomorrow I'm finishing my much needed screen top - No more jumping fish. And it will finally allow me to keep one of my childhood desires, a Helfrichi Firefish.

Also during the week I plan to stop by some of my local reef club members and purchase some frags, so those pictures will show up later this week. Should be exciting!! And thanks to my mother-in-law I will also have to spend a nice gift certificate to a local fish store... I wonder what I will get there... any ideas? I was thinking maybe a clam. Something thats a little harder to buy from a fellow reefer or get as a frag.

Never heard of a Helfrichi firefish but had to look it up and now I want one too very cool fish :)

• Like 1

So got all my plumbing working in a quick easy fashion. Running my two 3/4" (one drain and one return) the flow is just about right. The only thing is, I can get the water above the drain strainer by blocking my drain for a few seconds and then release it and it goes right back to the same level where is likes to be which is a couple of centimeters below the very top of my strainer where it makes a awful slurping noise, although it is draining and returning properly and at a great rate the slurping sound is unbearable. Any idea around this? I was thinking maybe drilling a hole in the top of the drain pipe behind the strainer. Thanks! Nate

The air going into the pipe needs to be equalized with the amount of water. Too much water causes pockets of air to rush in as the pipe tries to create equal. You can get the system totally silent by minizing your pumps gph by a tiny bit, or adding an airline to the top of the drain elbow. If you are also getting a lot of sound it can be because the pipe is entering your sump below the water. If youre pipe exits into the sump just above the waterline you get a full channel of air from the top to the bottom. If the pipe is below the water the air gets trapped and the only way for it to come out is at the top in the form of slurps and noise.

When you pipe is above the sumps waterline you then will get a waterfall effect for about an inch. This too can cause unpleasant noise. I've solved this by running the pipe right into a filter sock filled with polyfil. (Cotton stuffing used for pillows. You can buy the aquarium specific stuff if you want but at a craft store its way cheaper and its the same thing.)

Never heard of a Helfrichi firefish but had to look it up and now I want one too very cool fish :)

Wow thats an old post from 2012. I unfortunately never had the helfrichi for more than a few days. My other more established fish were just too mean and bullied him. If I ever fully reset my fish back to zero I'd start with a helfrichi and then add 1-2 more new ones.

It is a beauty for sure.