inTank Media Baskets

Is that fromia still around?

It is not. It lasted about a year. I've read thats a fairly common problem as they don't seem to last much longer than a few months to a year. Either it eventually ran out of food and starved or their lifespan just isn't that long.

Picked up a new clam from our local frag swap this weekend. Clam on the left is the same one from UniqueCorals. Its suprising how blue this one is even straight on. Its amazing looking at it from the top.

opNTkK2.jpg

Once I get my new additions rearranged and mounted I will post pictures of those and a new FTS

• Like 10

how many fish can/do you keep in there? I absolutely love this tank.

I've kept 3 for a long time. Lots of different combinations. Everytime I'd add a 4th the clownfish or one of the other 2 would usually bully it to death, or it would jump while the top was off.

Picked up a new clam from our local frag swap this weekend. Clam on the left is the same one from UniqueCorals. Its suprising how blue this one is even straight on. Its amazing looking at it from the top.

Once I get my new additions rearranged and mounted I will post pictures of those and a new FTS

those are some nice clams but how big do they grow up to? Love the blue one.

i noticed you have a lot of encrusting SPS, I have tyree rainbow and superman that'd kill anything it touches and grow over, have you run into that issues?

those are some nice clams but how big do they grow up to? Love the blue one.

i noticed you have a lot of encrusting SPS, I have tyree rainbow and superman that'd kill anything it touches and grow over, have you run into that issues?

They will probably get to 6"+ in a few years but I can always sell them for more money and buy new 2" ones then.

As for the encrusting stuff. Its a battle. I basically let everything grow to a size that looks nice and then I prune or scrape it to maintain that size. Its a bonsai tree in coral form. For the blue ridge, red monti digi, orange leptastrea, the monticaps, etc I will litterally take a tiny screwdriver and score the growing edge back 1/2" or so. I do this every few weeks to keep them the same size. The blue ridge and red digi have pretty much stabilized and don't overencrust eachother too much. If they do I scrape a little bit back where they meet and let them regrow into eachother again in a month.

• Like 1

I've kept 3 for a long time. Lots of different combinations. Everytime I'd add a 4th the clownfish or one of the other 2 would usually bully it to death, or it would jump while the top was off.

Ive been at 3 for a while now in my 20 and everything (except my dang favia) does well. I banished my hermits that may or may not have been picking at the mouths of the acans and favias to the sump. id love another fish but im afraid id throw the balance outta wack. I love your tank but wish I knew the secret!

great job!

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Thank you!

I've always been using a Canon T2i. Most of my early pictures were with a Canon 50mm 1.4 lens, or a wide angle 10-22mm but within the last two months I upgraded to a Sigma 35mm 1.4. My original plan was to upgrade the camera body to a full frame version as well, but at an almost 1,500-2,000 price difference its hard to make the jump just yet.

Oh nice. I use Canon as well. I'll have to look into that Sigma lens. I really like how your camera/lens combo photographs.

• Like 1

Oh nice. I use Canon as well. I'll have to look into that Sigma lens. I really like how your camera/lens combo photographs.

Ya definitely look into the Sigma art lens. There are a bunch of reviews on youtube of both the 35mm and 50mm. They BLOW the others away for their price.

I like the 35 on the T2i because of the crop sensor. The 50mm would probably be better on the full frame cameras.

What is this acro? Tank is just incredible looking, really better than when it won TOTM. :D Thanks for posting the huge pics.

That is an Oregon Tort.

Ya the tank has really improved since switching to a new light and just letting it mature longer. I look back at photos I took a year ago and am still shocked that I thought they were the best ever. LOL I'll probably do the same to these in a year or twos time.

No problem. I like that nano-reef makes them all look the same size on the page for easy viewing but clicking on them really lets you see the detail if you want to.

That is an Oregon Tort.

Ya the tank has really improved since switching to a new light and just letting it mature longer. I look back at photos I took a year ago and am still shocked that I thought they were the best ever. LOL I'll probably do the same to these in a year or twos time.

No problem. I like that nano-reef makes them all look the same size on the page for easy viewing but clicking on them really lets you see the detail if you want to.

Thanks. I suspect I've had one and killed it in the past, maybe I'll have to try again.

Been a long time since I visited this thread. Absolutely stunning progress scorched. I tried finding the link to your light but was unable to.

I am about 3 weeks from starting my 12L, and I liked how high up your light sits. I am also considering the USA Orbit Marine as well, but something about it being so close to the water worries me.

Keep it up!

edit: Wouldn't happen to have a link to that stand would you?

• Like 1

Been a long time since I visited this thread. Absolutely stunning progress scorched. I tried finding the link to your light but was unable to.

I am about 3 weeks from starting my 12L, and I liked how high up your light sits. I am also considering the USA Orbit Marine as well, but something about it being so close to the water worries me.

Keep it up!

edit: Wouldn't happen to have a link to that stand would you?

Thanks

Ya keep looking around for lights. The Orbit Marine doesn't have enough juice in my opinion and it is going to be sitting right on top of the tank. It makes it very difficult to do anything inside the tank (mount corals, change water, feed fish) when the light is in the way.

This is my light

http://www.aquasunrise.com/List.asp?L-0065450694.html

I bought it directly from the manufacturer in China through Alibaba. This was a few months ago and they've since emailed me that they no longer sell this particular model to individuals. This light was bought by a company that resells them in the US. The closest one I've found is the CoralBox.

http://www.fish-street.com/coralbox_m1_led_aquarium_lighting

It is the 90cm model. Unfortunately they charge almost $200 more than what I paid.

The stand is an Elite 36" Wide Hi-Boy TV Stand. If is availalbe from quite a few different places. This was the cheapest I found. Anything around 200-250 with shipping is probably pretty good.

http://salestores.com/eliteindustr12.html?gclid=CjwKEAiAqrqkBRCep-rKnt_r_lkSJAArVUBchL_zW72FWUYlWQiagcfXHAFMKeMdGNpokLzLwkPWeBoCm6_w_wcB#.VI9pOSdd25M

That said the stand is cool and I like the shelf to store all of my food and tools, but it really restricts the amount of space you have for a sump. Getting my hand inside the sump to do anything is a pain in the butt.

I am jealous of your clam that made it from unique, how long did you let it go before you FW dipped it. I am pretty sure mine expired from letting it go way to long before the dip.

This is my light

http://www.aquasunrise.com/List.asp?L-0065450694.html

I bought it directly from the manufacturer in China through Alibaba. This was a few months ago and they've since emailed me that they no longer sell this particular model to individuals. This light was bought by a company that resells them in the US. The closest one I've found is the CoralBox.

http://www.fish-street.com/coralbox_m1_led_aquarium_lighting

It is the 90cm model. Unfortunately they charge almost $200 more than what I paid.

It is too bad. I tried to get that light and had the same issue, they have since found dealers that retail them in Canada/USA and won't sell to individuals anymore.

I am jealous of your clam that made it from unique, how long did you let it go before you FW dipped it. I am pretty sure mine expired from letting it go way to long before the dip.

I've actually lost both clams.

The one I got from the FragSwap (Blue one on the right) I kind of expected to lose as lots of other local members had all of theirs die in a few days. Mine actually was alive the longest. Strangely after one weekend I returned to work and found my clam from Unique gapping open missing most of its body. It was fine the friday before. A week or two passes and then I return after another weekend and the clam from the swap is pretty much dead. I believe I probably could have saved both of them with another dip if I had been able to see them start declining on Friday night or Saturday.

Both clams were ORA so if I ever try another one it will be from another supplier.

I've actually lost both clams.

The one I got from the FragSwap (Blue one on the right) I kind of expected to lose as lots of other local members had all of theirs die in a few days. Mine actually was alive the longest. Strangely after one weekend I returned to work and found my clam from Unique gapping open missing most of its body. It was fine the friday before. A week or two passes and then I return after another weekend and the clam from the swap is pretty much dead. I believe I probably could have saved both of them with another dip if I had been able to see them start declining on Friday night or Saturday.

Both clams were ORA clams so if I ever try another one it will be from another supplier.

my plan is to give my tank a few months clam fallow just in case, then get one thats not ORA for sure. I hear good things about pacific east right now so that may be on my list when it warms up this spring. That or wait til my lfs gets a reasonably priced one...

i need me some oregon torttttttt

:lol:

It is one of my favorites. The deep blue is hard to find, and now without my clams thats the only blue left in the tank.

Sorry to hear about your clams!

my plan is to give my tank a few months clam fallow just in case, then get one thats not ORA for sure. I hear good things about pacific east right now so that may be on my list when it warms up this spring. That or wait til my lfs gets a reasonably priced one...

I'd be wary of PEA. I'm local and even picked one up a 2" maxima from their store front for my five gallon. Didn't even last 8 days, dip included. Granted, it's a five gallon but the parameters were stable enough for everything else (SPS included) to do well that I hoped it could be clam time. Lotta variables with clams, but I've had other trouble with sub-par PEA livestock as well.

I love your tank, I brainstormed an idea like this after I saw the Mr. Aqua 12 gallon at the pet store. Your design is perfect and thanks to seeing it I will no longer be adding a internal skimmer as it takes up too much space, instead I will be using a strainer over the bulkhead as you showed. Had I seen this sooner I wouldn't have gotten a MP10 for it and saved my money :unsure:

• Like 1

I love your tank, I brainstormed an idea like this after I saw the Mr. Aqua 12 gallon at the pet store. Your design is perfect and thanks to seeing it I will no longer be adding a internal skimmer as it takes up too much space, instead I will be using a strainer over the bulkhead as you showed. Had I seen this sooner I wouldn't have gotten a MP10 for it and saved my money :unsure:

Its just a different type of setup by having a large amount of flow through the sump and using that as the main source of water motion. Most people opt for the slower sump turnover and using powerheads inside the tank. If you have the MP10 you might as well use it. Its one of the best controllable pumps you can have. For me I didn't like a single object, overflow box, or cord inside the tank so I opted for this dual bulkhead strainer design. Good luck with your build.

Scorched,

I love your tank and I am in the process of planning something very similar. I have a question: Do you think that placing the overflows and returns on the back of the tank but putting an elbow on just before the water accelerator so that the water flows along the long axis of the tank is a viable option?

Thanks in advance!

Scorched,

I love your tank and I am in the process of planning something very similar. I have a question: Do you think that placing the overflows and returns on the back of the tank but putting an elbow on just before the water accelerator so that the water flows along the long axis of the tank is a viable option?

Thanks in advance!

Member since 2011, and this is your first post? Impressive.

Ya having them along the back is fine. I didn't want them shooting straight ahead and hitting the glass only 8 inches away. If you used an elbow or small piece of loclin to direct it along the length of the tank I don't see why it wouldn't work. It would just come down to having the overflow screens more in the middle of the tank or by the sides.

This was my thought process early on.

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/296235-3-foot-office-nano-mr-aqua-12-gallon-long/?p=3766117