ReefCleaners.org

blizzardscout2

You have a very beautiful aquarium. I love the Mr Aqua 12 long, it is so basic but it really draws the eye. You did a fantastic job making the ratios of all the live rock and coral match the size and depth of the tank. Nice work.

• Like 1

You have a very beautiful aquarium. I love the Mr Aqua 12 long, it is so basic but it really draws the eye. You did a fantastic job making the ratios of all the live rock and coral match the size and depth of the tank. Nice work.

Muchas Gracias! It's been a design goal from the beginning to create the look of a full size 100+ gallon reef in a miniature size.

NEW FRAGS!

xKpiKHS.jpg

Hgfc5Ny.jpg

Photo straight out of the camera with only blue leds on. This torch is YELLOW!! It is by far the most yellow coral I've ever seen and had to have it to complete my rainbow of every color. It cost the most out of all the pieces I got but it is by far the piece I'm the most happy with.

l6tGfuP.jpg

Daytime lighting and it still holds the yellow color very well.

aTurilc.jpg

Barbie Acans, Orange Melon Acan, Hyper Green Maze Brain

U9KEHqL.jpg

gtHkIIz.jpg

Grim Reaper Bower

nUdmzfZ.jpg

Gold Potion Favia

Imc9SOi.jpg

• Like 9
  • 3 weeks later...

Could I get a top view of your tank, what's the width of your rocks? still trying to figure out my ratio, everything seems to be too cramped up in there for me. Trying to downsize my rocks and rescape :(

Could I get a top view of your tank, what's the width of your rocks? still trying to figure out my ratio, everything seems to be too cramped up in there for me. Trying to downsize my rocks and rescape :(

Ya I can try to get a pic tomorrow.

Could I get a top view of your tank

Here ya go. The rocks are about 4-5" wide. This gives you about two inches of coral growth without anything touching the glass on either side.

JaGbGWy.jpg

zXyzuiR.jpg

ebWr8YW.jpg

E1A06Ux.jpg

fn8yxfZ.jpg

huSSl83.jpg

• Like 7

Wow, the colors on your SPS are crazy!

I have 3 pieces in my tank and they're just brown haha. Mine must be a nitrates and phosphates issue, but might also be lighting.

What intensities are you running your light channels at these days? Same as before?

• Like 1

Wow, the colors on your SPS are crazy!

I have 3 pieces in my tank and they're just brown haha. Mine must be a nitrates and phosphates issue, but might also be lighting.

What intensities are you running your light channels at these days? Same as before?

I don't know if its a Nitrate or Phosphate thing honestly. I've never tested either. Brown is usually too much phosphate + inadequate lighting. Pale coral is too low of nutrients or too much light. If you don't have a lot of algae its probably just the light.

For me it is lots of feedings, fish and coral food, as well as the new lights. The old light produced some nice colors as well looking back at my old photos, but they never were this saturated or vibrant.

After I switched lights the corals were pale and bleeched from my old light as well as stressed from the move. It took about a month or two at a really low light intensity to let the corals regain their zooxanthelle. After they started to regain their bright coloration I've really turned up the intensity to make them even more saturated. The first few weeks with the new light I was around 15% white, 40% blue. Now I'm up to 35% white, 100% blue, and 80% cyan. I could probably add even more white but I like the way the corals look under a bluer light.

I don't know if its a Nitrate or Phosphate thing honestly. I've never tested either. Brown is usually too much phosphate + inadequate lighting. Pale coral is too low of nutrients or too much light. If you don't have a lot of algae its probably just the light.

For me it is lots of feedings, fish and coral food, as well as the new lights. The old light produced some nice colors as well looking back at my old photos, but they never were this saturated or vibrant.

After I switched lights the corals were pale and bleeched from my old light as well as stressed from the move. It took about a month or two at a really low light intensity to let the corals regain their zooxanthelle. After they started to regain their bright coloration I've really turned up the intensity to make them even more saturated. The first few weeks with the new light I was around 15% white, 40% blue. Now I'm up to 35% white, 100% blue, and 80% cyan. I could probably add even more white but I like the way the corals look under a bluer light.

Oh wow, up to that intensity with a 10" high tank eh? We have the same lights and I'm only running mine up to 20% blues max. Gonna play around with upping the intensity, but then again mine has only been up for a month lol.

• Like 1

Here ya go. The rocks are about 4-5" wide. This gives you about two inches of coral growth without anything touching the glass on either side.

Thanks for the pics man. really appreciate it. nice eyes popping colors :)

Beautiful tank! Your LEDs have accentuated your coral coloration. What camera are you using?

Thank you!

I've always been using a Canon T2i. Most of my early pictures were with a Canon 50mm 1.4 lens, or a wide angle 10-22mm but within the last two months I upgraded to a Sigma 35mm 1.4. My original plan was to upgrade the camera body to a full frame version as well, but at an almost 1,500-2,000 price difference its hard to make the jump just yet.

do you dose any amino acids or supplements? ur corals are beautiful!!

In the last year I've been feeding reef chili, and I'd say the last 6-8 months I've been doing Acropower and Iodine. I just ran out of Chili and Acropower (hint, hint to whoever is my Secret Santa. Get it now while its half off at BRS. I may just stock up myself due to the deal)

I honestly think most of it is better spectrum lighting and controlling the intensity. But feeding corals has made a difference. When I had my old LED light and I added the chili and acropower there was an improvement to the corals colors. And that was the only difference in almost 2 years of the tank running.

• Like 2

How much acropower do you dose? Do you follow the dosage on the bottle or do more / less??

Approx dosage on the bottle. I do the scientific dosage of capfull a week. Or whenever I feel like I haven't added any in awhile :P

Love the colors, but also the color choices and placement. The aesthetics are amazing on this.

How's you're angel doing? What are you feeding it?

Thank you. Ya it's always a goal to find unique colors and shapes and arrange them so that they are intermixed thoughout the tank or on individual rocks.

The angel is still doing great. About a month ago the clownfish took a huge bite out of his tail fin. There was almost nothing left but it has fully regrown and he now darts away whenever the clownfish is close to him. I feed him flakes, pellets, and mysis. Nothing angel specific I guess.

Member since 2002? Wow Its rare that I see people from the early days like myself. I thought I was an oldie at 10 years.

• Like 1

Thank you. Ya it's always a goal to find unique colors and shapes and arrange them so that they are intermixed thoughout the tank or on individual rocks.

The angel is still doing great. About a month ago the clownfish took a huge bite out of his tail fin. There was almost nothing left but it has fully regrown and he now darts away whenever the clownfish is close to him. I feed him flakes, pellets, and mysis. Nothing angel specific I guess.

Member since 2002? Wow Its rare that I see people from the early days like myself. I thought I was an oldie at 10 years.

Stupid clowns. What are they hiding behind all that make-up, anyway?

Yeah, I tend to forget how long it's been. I I've taken a two-year and a five-year break from the hobby in that time. Absolutely crazy the developments since I got back in this summer, much less compared to 2002. Anyway, love tanks like yours that push things forward while still looking classic.

• Like 1

Stupid clowns. What are they hiding behind all that make-up, anyway?

Yeah, I tend to forget how long it's been. I I've taken a two-year and a five-year break from the hobby in that time. Absolutely crazy the developments since I got back in this summer, much less compared to 2002. Anyway, love tanks like yours that push things forward while still looking classic.

Totally understand. When I started in 2004 I knew nothing and my setup was totally different with a HOB filter and screw in flourecent bulbs. I took a huge break for college and when I finally had extra income from a real career job I couldn't help starting back up again.

one of the nicest tanks ive ever seen. Truly and honestly am jealous.

Thank you! The tank has definitely had its ups and downs just like everyone else. It took a long time to finally get things all working together. I keep telling people to not get discouraged or giveup within the first year or two. I had to go through all the same growing pain and young uglies.

Brown algae growing everywhere.

hfFZtoVl.jpg

Probably half the corals in this photo are bleeched or dying.

IesRml.jpg

It took a long time and a lot of tinkering to end up here.

E1A06Uxl.jpg

• Like 2