Pod Your Reef

Ah, I see. I think the page I found was the UK supplier's?

Anyway, I'll be following along to see how the light works out! Between the wifi/Apex controlled capability, the four channels, and the 3W Cree LEDs, it looks pretty great. Maybe I can find PAR readings on the LEDs themselves, if not the light?

EDIT: Huh. I've found a study on the Razor and two other products. Since this light is pretty comparable to the Maxspect Razor (uses 3W Cree LEDs, though I'm obviously losing granularity as far as different in efficient blue LEDs and actual running wattage, etc), it seems like the Aqua Pro is pretty darn awesome. The Razor, at 24", would give off 200-250 PAR just under the LEDs (and the LEDs on the Aqua Pro run the entire length of the fixture, so that's a plus as you said).

Following the awesome inverse square rule of light, a 12" depth would have you SPS ready, wouldn't it?

How far away from the surface do the legs put the light?

I think I'm going to have to demand a link to wherever you purchased this thing; it'd go great with my plans for an Apex controller and in the meantime could be controlled through my phone.

The legs are at the default length. I had to drill new holes in the rods to attach to the brackets and just put them in the same place as the crooked ones. Its probably 12" or so off the top, but I can give you an exact measurement tomorrow when I got back to work. Also I downloaded their iphone app and it doesn't work with this light, it says it does on their page but the light doesn't send out a wireless signal to connect to. I believe that is only with their AquaSunrise fixture. If you want Apex connectivity you'd have to get the Aqua Pro Plus or Sunrise. This light doesn't have ethernet or wireless. I'm however perfectly fine with it. It has full control on the fixture itself and the remote makes it fairly easy to adjust colors quickly.

In order to easily see my settings and adjust the duration of each set point I made an excel graph. It has inputs that automatically graphs out the intensities before I manually enter into the light.

HlUGdEC.png

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7r1y0oiflr0ibmt/AquariumLightGraph.xlsx Right now it has 9 set points and 4 channels. It could be modified for other controllable lights if you tweak my inputs and calculations.

I don't know the true light output of this light or even my last one, but with enough tweaking I was able to get good sps growth and color from a very simple LED light. With enough tweaking (probably turning levels down) I should be able to have equal or greater success.

I already have a local club member stopping over after work to chat about this new light as he is looking to upgrade past his marineland fixture. I'm sure hes going to ask for my contact, and if you bug me enough I'll share it here too. The company needs to give out some commissions if lots of others start wanting it as well.

• Like 2

The legs are at the default length. I had to drill new holes in the rods to attach to the brackets and just put them in the same place as the crooked ones. Its probably 12" or so off the top, but I can give you an exact measurement tomorrow when I got back to work. Also I downloaded their iphone app and it doesn't work with this light, it says it does on their page but the light doesn't send out a wireless signal to connect to. I believe that is only with their AquaSunrise fixture. If you want Apex connectivity you'd have to get the Aqua Pro Plus or Sunrise. This light doesn't have ethernet or wireless. I'm however perfectly fine with it. It has full control on the fixture itself and the remote makes it fairly easy to adjust colors quickly.

In order to easily see my settings and adjust the duration of each set point I made an excel graph. It has inputs that automatically graphs out the intensities before I manually enter into the light.

HlUGdEC.png

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7r1y0oiflr0ibmt/AquariumLightGraph.xlsx Right now it has 9 set points and 4 channels. It could be modified for other controllable lights if you tweak my inputs and calculations.

I don't know the true light output of this light or even my last one, but with enough tweaking I was able to get good sps growth and color from a very simple LED light. With enough tweaking (probably turning levels down) I should be able to have equal or greater success.

I already have a local club member stopping over after work to chat about this new light as he is looking to upgrade past his marineland fixture. I'm sure hes going to ask for my contact, and if you bug me enough I'll share it here too. The company needs to give out some commissions if lots of others start wanting it as well.

You really should get commissions, this is informative! I am tempted to ask for the contact right now (pm? that'd be great), but whether I know now or not I'm going to be waiting a while before getting it. The lack of wifi/Apex compatibility really isn't a big deal if it's still reliable and fully functional, so that's good.

I'm going to watch your tank's progress with these LEDs, because sped-up algae growth might be a thing that I have to look out for (just discovered a tiny mantis that explains the dwindling snail population, so I may never have a full CUC and would need to very carefully use chemical filtration and WCs for algae growth). Still, that's something that might be solved with channel control (and seriously, four channels, that alone is worth it). If the listing of 3W Cree bulbs is to be believed (I know some people don't believe it, for some reason), the PAR should be great as well.

You really should get commissions, this is informative! I am tempted to ask for the contact right now (pm? that'd be great), but whether I know now or not I'm going to be waiting a while before getting it. The lack of wifi/Apex compatibility really isn't a big deal if it's still reliable and fully functional, so that's good.

I'm going to watch your tank's progress with these LEDs, because sped-up algae growth might be a thing that I have to look out for (just discovered a tiny mantis that explains the dwindling snail population, so I may never have a full CUC and would need to very carefully use chemical filtration and WCs for algae growth). Still, that's something that might be solved with channel control (and seriously, four channels, that alone is worth it). If the listing of 3W Cree bulbs is to be believed (I know some people don't believe it, for some reason), the PAR should be great as well.

Ya no problem, PM if you want the contact persons I went through.

As for the algae thing that might have been a few things pilling up at the same time. The red LEDs I've never had before, my biopellet / carbon reactor was heavily clogged and needed a good cleaning and new media, and I was a few days slow on my water change schedule.

Yep the 4 channels of control is really great. In hindsight I kind of wish I asked to swap the moons with red, and put cyan leds in place of the green/red. That way channel 3 would be UV, Violet, and Cyan. Red would be on channel 4 all by itself to adjust.

Your tank is looking really good under the new light. Any changes to the corals?

:wub: Absolutely stunning!

Thanks guys. Still a little too early to notice a lot of change from 4 days of use. But the red setosa and orange leptoseris do look a little more vibrant.

• Like 1

Ya no problem, PM if you want the contact persons I went through.

As for the algae thing that might have been a few things pilling up at the same time. The red LEDs I've never had before, my biopellet / carbon reactor was heavily clogged and needed a good cleaning and new media, and I was a few days slow on my water change schedule.

Yep the 4 channels of control is really great. In hindsight I kind of wish I asked to swap the moons with red, and put cyan leds in place of the green/red. That way channel 3 would be UV, Violet, and Cyan. Red would be on channel 4 all by itself to adjust.

So they allow you to maneuver what LEDs go on what channel? I'll be keeping that in mind! I'm not sure I'm reading correctly, though. Is cyan the moon light? You switch it into the colors channel, and then customize your moon lighting from there?

So they allow you to maneuver what LEDs go on what channel? I'll be keeping that in mind! I'm not sure I'm reading correctly, though. Is cyan the moon light? You switch it into the colors channel, and then customize your moon lighting from there?

They let you swap any LED you want, but you have to keep the same position and number of LEDs. So Channel 4 can only have 3 LEDs and Channel 3 must have the same locations. If you swapped Red for Moon it may be slightly confusing on the display as it will Say W, B, C, M

Does that make sense. The light is still great as is without customizing it. If you like to run just 3 LEDs all night I'd keep it the way its configured. For me it doesn't matter as I only see my tank from 9am - 6 and never see it at night. You'd have to choose what type of control or look is best for you.

Hmmm. You're right, I don't like having the tank lights on past 11pm regardless of color/intensity, and I can deal with it if the reds have any adverse effect. Thanks again! :]

Thanks guys. Still a little too early to notice a lot of change from 4 days of use. But the red setosa and orange leptoseris do look a little more vibrant.

I was talking about the tank in general, you could put LED flashlights on it and it'd still be sweet... maybe a bit ghetto but sweet just the same :)

Dragged my drill press to work with a large 3" hole saw and notched my brackets so they sit flush to the glass. I also redrilled the rods so the pipes have straight holes. Screwed everything tight and set it back together. Now everything is way more stable and I can take the light off without the rods and brackets falling out.

nQ36cKS.jpg

And an updated FTS

BFUm2Sp.jpg

Still tweaking the colors and the camera. With my old LEDs there was just 1 setting now as the LEDs adjust throughout the day I have to keep changing my white balance. More than likely I will have to find the best photography setting on the light and manually enter in the values before I take more pictures. That way my custom white balance can be saved for that lighting setup.

• Like 14

Loving the light! In your opinion, how do you think the coverage would be on the 24" fixture over a 30"x12"x16" display? I know it's difficult to judge as you have the 36" version, but any info is appreciated!

Loving the light! In your opinion, how do you think the coverage would be on the 24" fixture over a 30"x12"x16" display? I know it's difficult to judge as you have the 36" version, but any info is appreciated!

Just based off my FTS and looking at the amount of light spread on the walls I'm sure a 24" fixture would cover a 30" and slightly wider tank just fine.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Dragged my drill press to work with a large 3" hole saw and notched my brackets so they sit flush to the glass. I also redrilled the rods so the pipes have straight holes. Screwed everything tight and set it back together. Now everything is way more stable and I can take the light off without the rods and brackets falling out.

nQ36cKS.jpg

And an updated FTS

BFUm2Sp.jpg

Still tweaking the colors and the camera. With my old LEDs there was just 1 setting now as the LEDs adjust throughout the day I have to keep changing my white balance. More than likely I will have to find the best photography setting on the light and manually enter in the values before I take more pictures. That way my custom white balance can be saved for that lighting setup.

Sweet !! On another note I just moved to MN near the twin cities and just started up again. I remember your post somewhere in this thread about "saltwater empire". I visited them a week back and am glad I did. Thank you for the recommendation.

Also, do you mind providing the link to the Razor looking Chinese LED lights which you got. Thanks

Sweet !! On another note I just moved to MN near the twin cities and just started up again. I remember your post somewhere in this thread about "saltwater empire". I visited them a week back and am glad I did. Thank you for the recommendation.

Also, do you mind providing the link to the Razor looking Chinese LED lights which you got. Thanks

I'm also looking for an alternative LED option, that light looks like a good choice, sent you a PM. Thanks

AWESOME!! Glad you liked the store. Its one of my favorites as they have good customer service and often have 4-5 events throughout the year with raffles and various give a ways. A new store to check out is New Wave Aquaria in Plymouth if you are ever in the west metro. A small store but they have 2 large frag tanks with good size colonies and reasonable prices on coral and fish.

Also I recommend visiting TCMAS.org It is the local club for the Twin Cities. Good for buy/selling/swapping corals and equipment that is nearby and there are 1-2 monthly meetings to look at member tanks. And 2 yearly frag swaps. The next one is in Nov I believe.

The light link isn't really a link. I went to alibaba.com which is a wholesale place were you can buy pretty much anything on the planet in bulk for your small or large business. Many of the manufacturing places are in China. A few of the main lights that are sold in the states are rebranded or slightly different versions of lights created in the same factories. I found one place called Sosci Technology Company that only does LED aquarium lighting. I contacted them and inquired about receiving a sample light. They like to hear the word "sample" as it makes it sound like you are interested in buying a lot of lights to resell. But you just want to try one out first.

They sent me a bunch of pdf brochures and price lists for the 12 or more different lights that they make. I liked this one because it had the length, low profile look, and light control I was after. After picking this one they let you change some of the LEDs around and add various wifi or remote options if you want. And they ship you your custom "sample" in a week or two.

If you want the contact person I went through at Sosci you can PM me directly.

AWESOME!! Glad you liked the store. Its one of my favorites as they have good customer service and often have 4-5 events throughout the year with raffles and various give a ways. A new store to check out is New Wave Aquaria in Plymouth if you are ever in the west metro. A small store but they have 2 large frag tanks with good size colonies and reasonable prices on coral and fish.

Also I recommend visiting TCMAS.org It is the local club for the Twin Cities. Good for buy/selling/swapping corals and equipment that is nearby and there are 1-2 monthly meetings to look at member tanks. And 2 yearly frag swaps. The next one is in Nov I believe.

The light link isn't really a link. I went to alibaba.com which is a wholesale place were you can buy pretty much anything on the planet in bulk for your small or large business. Many of the manufacturing places are in China. A few of the main lights that are sold in the states are rebranded or slightly different versions of lights created in the same factories. I found one place called Sosci Technology Company that only does LED aquarium lighting. I contacted them and inquired about receiving a sample light. They like to hear the word "sample" as it makes it sound like you are interested in buying a lot of lights to resell. But you just want to try one out first.

They sent me a bunch of pdf brochures and price lists for the 12 or more different lights that they make. I liked this one because it had the length, low profile look, and light control I was after. After picking this one they let you change some of the LEDs around and add various wifi or remote options if you want. And they ship you your custom "sample" in a week or two.

Cheers to TCMAS!

• Like 1

Thanks - Will surely check it out.

I happened to bump into TCMAS 2 days back and I already registered. I so however need to check out the events etc

Thanks for the information on the lights. I was searching for LED lights about a year back and did try hunting on alibaba but there were so many options and was not sure if the quality would be right etc., that I kind of gave up and just took the plunge a radion gen 2.

However, do keep us posted on the light and the growth you see. (I probably cannot afford another radion :( )

• Like 1

Thanks - Will surely check it out.

I happened to bump into TCMAS 2 days back and I already registered. I so however need to check out the events etc

Thanks for the information on the lights. I was searching for LED lights about a year back and did try hunting on alibaba but there were so many options and was not sure if the quality would be right etc., that I kind of gave up and just took the plunge a radion gen 2.

However, do keep us posted on the light and the growth you see. (I probably cannot afford another radion :( )

If you are using the radion on the fluval M60 it should give you just enough coverage without having to buy 2 lights. This light has similar LED colors and control as the Gen2, they are just spread out more evenly.

And I agree, buying anything of Alibaba is hard. There are thousands upon thousands of listings for any particular item and sometimes a product is made by multiple factories. You have to contract them all to see who has the best prices, service, and if their version is the most up to date. If you go onto the TCMAS forums I actually have a build thread similar to this one. Except on that forum I have probably 20+ posts about a month or two ago asking peoples opinions on all the different similar lights I found.

If you are using the radion on the fluval M60 it should give you just enough coverage without having to buy 2 lights. This light has similar LED colors and control as the Gen2, they are just spread out more evenly.

And I agree, buying anything of Alibaba is hard. There are thousands upon thousands of listings for any particular item and sometimes a product is made by multiple factories. You have to contract them all to see who has the best prices, service, and if their version is the most up to date. If you go onto the TCMAS forums I actually have a build thread similar to this one. Except on that forum I have probably 20+ posts about a month or two ago asking peoples opinions on all the different similar lights I found.

I agree the M60 would do with 1 radion. I was initially looking at the larger tank but the decision for a cube like tank was influenced more by the Radion I had rather than anything else.

I will also go check out the topic on TCMAS for more info. Just want to keep options open in case I decide to go bigger so next time the light cost will not be the limiting factor.

Can you come clean the glass on my tank? Your's just looks so clean!

:lol:

If I'm not working at the computer I'm rubbing the magnet along the glass to keep it clean. If I see a spot of coraline or hard algae start to form my whole hand is going in there with a toothbrush or razor blade before they even have a chance to spread.

• Like 1

:lol:

If I'm not working at the computer I'm rubbing the magnet along the glass to keep it clean. If I see a spot of coraline or hard algae start to form my whole hand is going in there with a toothbrush or razor blade before they even have a chance to spread.

I have really let my tank glass go lol. It's just so annoying so scrape all the coraline off.

• Like 1