Top Shelf Aquatics

Love your tank, but that Blenny needs some fattening up! :)

Thank you!

Ya the midas is a skinny bitch. I dump in food 2-3 times a day now and his checks are still not puffy like others I've seen. I might have to look into different frozen foods and really vary his diet.

The iodine (one drop) has only been in there for one day so it is too soon to tell a difference. Iodine is said to help with blue coloration, so if my Oregon tort shows an improvement and the tissue recession stops on the 2 corals I'd say it was definitely worth it.

There are a few hermit crabs in the tank it will probably help a little bit with their molts.

I find iodine to help a lot with invert molting in tanks heavily stocked with corals. I can't say if it helps with the blues or not, but I dose 1 drop week and my blues are looking awesome so... it may help. It seems to be working for you though. All of your colors are spectacular!

BTW, every time I look at your tank I have to talk myself out of getting a 12g long. It has such awesome dimensions for a tank this volume.

• Like 1

Im hoping the oregon tort gets the vibrant blue I've seen elsewhere, or at least close. I also ordered some Acropower as I've heard great things and saw a large reef tank this weekend that dosed it to great success.

The dimensions are awesome but why change it up when you have such a beautiful tank already? I'm hoping this one goes 3-5 more years before everything is completely overgrown and can't be pruned or controlled any more.

Nano sapiens

This tank has progressed very nicely!

On the topic of Iodine, I use 3-4 drops/week of Kent Iodine in my 12g cube. Although many say it isn't necessary there's no real scientific proof one way or the other. From 20+ years using it, I believe that having consistently sufficient levels of Iodine helps to promote coral health long term.

• Like 1

The dimensions are awesome but why change it up when you have such a beautiful tank already? I'm hoping this one goes 3-5 more years before everything is completely overgrown and can't be pruned or controlled any more.

In addition to my current tank. I plan on keeping my current tank until it crashes or I leave for my dissertation work later this year or early 2015.

frankdontsurf

April FTS

C2kkj2b.jpg

And the latest coral addition is a Pot of Gold (view full size to see the pretty glitter)

xGS5zE6.jpg

Anyone know of any LPS that have a true yellow glow under blue LEDs? The closest I ever had was a yellow tip torch, I may have to track that down again.

Lapastrea (spelling might be wrong)

Leptastrea

I have the orange version on the left on the middle rock. It looks like there is a yellow with orange rim variety.

leptastrea.jpg

Another variety of lepta I've had my eye on is Ice Blue from Cherry Corals. Hopefully they bring it to the frag swap next month.

• Like 1

This tank has progressed very nicely!

On the topic of Iodine, I use 3-4 drops/week of Kent Iodine in my 12g cube. Although many say it isn't necessary there's no real scientific proof one way or the other. From 20+ years using it, I believe that having consistently sufficient levels of Iodine helps to promote coral health long term.

Gracias

From my readings and youtube watching from many 10-20 year reef veterans I'm going to stick with the iodine for awhile. Many of them say they were using it for years and then it slowly feel out of style. Now they are beginning to redose it again and seeing improvement. If it just keeps bacterial infections down it will pay for itself if it even saves one frag, and the reason I got it was to dip 2 corals that are already looking much better.

I don't have an iodine test so I'm going to stay with the 1 drop a week plan, once I can see the signs of how corals react to too little or too much I will use that as a guide. I've found testing to be kind of hit or miss, whereas the appearance of a few corals can immediately tell me whats going on with the water chemistry in the tank.

Nano sapiens

Hmmm, I think I had an iodine test kit back in 1997...

Testing for Iodine is like testing for Phospahte...one only gets a partial picture of all the species present. It's also one of the more complicated tests and IMO not necessary.

Your plan is sound as too much Iodine (like anything) can cause issues.

famousdan314

Love the update, tank it's really looking nice! Great coral selection also.

I have a question that's a little off topic, what are you feeding your BTA and how often. I've heard of silversides working well and also mysis.

• Like 1

Love the update, tank it's really looking nice! Great coral selection also. I have a question that's a little off topic, what are you feeding your BTA and how often. I've heard of silversides working well and also mysis.

Thanks

I actually try to not feed it directly unless it grabs mysis or fish food that floats past. They grow and split so quickly as it is. But yes Silversides and Mysis is usually a good diet.

My blenny was looking skinny too. I tossed him in the mandarin tank and he seems to be getting fat now off mostly nutramar ova. They are a planktivor so I guess they need to eat a lot and often.

My blenny was looking skinny too. I tossed him in the mandarin tank and he seems to be getting fat now off mostly nutramar ova. They are a planktivor so I guess they need to eat a lot and often.

Im going to pick up some different foods tonight, but since my other fish are looking rather plump it might be a worm or parasite. :blink:

Picked up a Mysis and Cyclopeeze twin pack tonight. A friend is letting me use his Prazipro so hopefully I can get this fish looking his best again. Acropower should be here tomorrow or Thursday too. :D

• 2 weeks later...

2nd dose of Prazi happened this afternoon. Hopefully my Midas does better.

In the mean time 2 new corals

Green Monti Cap

9I1ETth.jpg

Flashlight Acro

G02yN1f.jpg

Angled FTS with new corals

M3SM4PJ.jpg

Tank is getting a little green heavy again unfortunately. Im saving all new tank funds for our clubs upcoming swap next month so hopefully I can fill in 2-3 areas with orange, purple, or blue (please let there be little maximas).

• Like 13

Still looking amazing! I'd sell my soul to get sps growth and color like you're getting. Keep it up!

Growth has been VERY slow, so I wouldn't sell your soul. The color however I've been pretty happy with, and with the addition of more feedings, acropower, and iodine I hope to boost it as far as it will go with these lights.

And for a tank this size color > growth all the way. Id rather have pretty corals that stay small.

• Like 1
Cameron6796

Really amazing inspirational tank. Idk if its the way the pics turn out but how much yellow is in the tank, I hadn't noticed the green until you mentioned it