Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Did a slight rearranging and took some more top down shots.

New clam as well from Murray's Aquatech. He said its from the Cook Islands supplier which usually has some of the healthiest and prettiest looking maximas in my opinion.

NEW PICS

25UYMhn.jpg

475SiGB.jpg

P1W28d5.jpg

fAGLluF.jpg

• Like 9

:wub:

Such an amazing tank . One of the best on the site for sure.

Thanks dude!!

I found a mass of byssus filaments on the sand today. The clam must have released them and wants to put down new roots in a different place. I've since moved the clam to the rock work and within a few hours seems to be anchoring down. A few light taps didnt budge him very much.

• 5 weeks later...

Wow.....great new photos. The clam is beautiful and the rest of the tank is looking awesome.

Thanks Doug, nice chatting with you at the swap. If you are ever in the neighborhood again you are more than welcome to stop by.

wanna post a new video for us, pretty please?

I'll try to get a new one made in the next few days. It has been really busy at work and I don't take my camera to work as often as I used to.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Scorched,

I'm observing this aquarium now for almost half a year and I really like it. In fact you inspired me to try the same thing you did, which I just briefly want to show you here. Unfortunately in Switzerland where I live it is not easy to get sleek good quality Bulkheads and Supply, so that doesn't looks as good as yours, but since it stands in my bedroom I needed it to be silent which it is now.

If anyone of you want I can do a complete "my tank" review? It is an ADA 60F Tank.

Cheers!

post-88137-0-30887600-1431974747_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Hey thanks for checking it out. I'm glad that it inspired you to make your own tank!

Don't get too down on the bulkhead part, yours looks great. It still looks smaller than a lot of the overflow boxes people put on their tanks.

Instead of the "review" create a thread in the Members Aquariums section as well and describe what you've done with your tank. Its also a great way to see the tank progress as well as get feedback and new ideas from other members.

• 1 month later...

Ay updates on this tank? I am about to be setting up the Mr aqua 22 long almost identical to yours. With a few changes of course because of the size difference.

• Like 2

Ay updates on this tank? I am about to be setting up the Mr aqua 22 long almost identical to yours. With a few changes of course because of the size difference.

I'm so mad the 22g came out just after I bought the 12g

Its not much different. The 2-3" difference in the height and depth doesn't affect much besides allowing a tiny bit more room for aquascaping. The length is pretty much the only thing you have to account for as thats the length you have to light and push water along.

I'd really like them, or any manufacturer, to come out with a tank double the size. 72"x 16" x 18" that would look awesome in my living room.

My tank has had a couple rough patches this summer. It seems to happen every year. The water stays too hot and I'm always swamped with work leaving little time to keep the tank in pristine condition. I lost the last clam I bought (So thats now 0 for 4). My orange Nauti Spiral Monti has lost quite a bit of color and is hopefully starting to recover. I lost my royal gramma just yesterday due to it getting stuck inside a rock. And to top it off I'm hosting our reef club monthly meeting tomorrow. I wish the tank was doing better for everyone to see it, but it still does look pretty good considering the setbacks.

I'm on the hunt for another 1-2 blue corals. A blue leptastrea and blue tenius or milli are high on my list. I'd still like a clam but I have the worst luck. And to replace my gramma. I might sell the 2 fish I have (clownfish and pygmy angel) and just start over with more rare fish that would otherwise be murdered by my clownfish if I added them right now.

That's interesting that your tank goes through changes in the summer...I've thought the same thing about my tank.

But the pictures look amazing. Really beautiful tank. That Spongode you have is perfect.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about the losses. Is it the summer heat that has been causing the issues?

I plan on doing this tank has half reef, half macro garden. And I will attempt to get more flow through the tank with slightly larger bulk heads (Reading from your build you had troubles pushing the gph rate that you wanted). Other then that, I am so stealing your idea. :)

Do you dose your tank or anything? Or just weekly water changes with good salt?

Sorry to hear about the losses. Is it the summer heat that has been causing the issues?

I plan on doing this tank has half reef, half macro garden. And I will attempt to get more flow through the tank with slightly larger bulk heads (Reading from your build you had troubles pushing the gph rate that you wanted). Other then that, I am so stealing your idea. :)

Do you dose your tank or anything? Or just weekly water changes with good salt?

My heater tells me its around 84ish some days when its set to 78. There are really large windows in our office. During the summer, in the afternoon until 8, the sun shine directly into my cubicle.

I kalk top off at night and water changes to maintain the elements. In the summer I just fall behind on the water changes so the alk, calc, and mag probably dip lower than they should.

You can definitely do larger bulkheads but after having it running for 3.5 years I am pretty happy with the design and amount of flow I do have. Since there is no powerhead thats pulsing or causing turbulent flow but instead contant steady flow out of the return lines its probably better to keep it a little bit on the lower side. You don't want a ton of force going constantly at the corals. I tried the spinners but they didn't spin fast enough and were also a little bulky in the end.

It would not be too pretty, but if you clipped a tank fan at each end, you can get a breeze over the tank length moving in the same direction as your water flow and cool the tank with evaporation. It should be good for a few degrees of cooling. I have a 6 fan unit going across the width of the tank that my APEX turns on over 81.5 degrees and turns off at 81 degrees.

what was the temperature without the fans on... its only good for a few degrees but is it possible to get it to drop almost 10 degrees cuz when the summer heat beats on my house the temps rises up to almost 90 in certain parts of the house

It would not be too pretty, but if you clipped a tank fan at each end, you can get a breeze over the tank length moving in the same direction as your water flow and cool the tank with evaporation. It should be good for a few degrees of cooling. I have a 6 fan unit going across the width of the tank that my APEX turns on over 81.5 degrees and turns off at 81 degrees.

They just need to turn up the AC in this place.

Its always so hard to get those top down shots huh?

Not really :P

what was the temperature without the fans on... its only good for a few degrees but is it possible to get it to drop almost 10 degrees cuz when the summer heat beats on my house the temps rises up to almost 90 in certain parts of the house

The amount that you can cool a tank with a fan depends on the relative humidity of the room. The higher the humidity, the less you will be able to cool the tank via fan/evaporation. You can get 3 to 4 degrees F drop from tank temperature vs room temperature easy in most normal indoor environments. Some have reported 8 to 10 degrees F drop from room temperature, but that is really a YMMV. Even if you only can get 3 to 4 degrees, getting the tank down to 86 degrees while high is a lot better than 90 degrees! The biggest downside is that you need to be on top of your ATO reservoir levels as using a fan for evaporative cooling will increase the water loss significantly from baseline.

They just need to turn up the AC in this place.

Good luck with getting the office manager on board with that! At my office they turn off the AC entirely on holidays and weekends, which is why I put in my fan controlled by the APEX.

nothing short of a chiller to get it down in a humid hot room huh... wondering if i put an auto top off reservior in a mini fridge if that will help...

• 4 weeks later...

Just purchased a new Midas Blenny (I missed having one of these guys so much!)

Picked up a Helfrichi Firefish. This time I did it right. For those that have followed this thread from the beginning I've actually tried having this fish 2-3 times and it always ended up dead in a day or two. The culprit... my clownfish and old midas blenny. So this time I traded in my clown (he was a nice guy for me but had to go) and picked up a baby that looks almost exactly the same. All 3 fish were added together at the same time and so far everyone is still alive! Lol

Unfortunately the Helfrichi is very shy and I only see him come out to eat, maybe in a month or two that will fade and he will be out swimming with the others.

Also this week I picked up a bunch of things from AquaSD

Superman Lobo

SupermanLobo-RetailPrice100SALEPRICE40_z

Gold Strike Leptoseris

GoldStrikeLepColony2-RetailPrice100SALEP

Blue Iris monti

SuperBlueIrisColony-RetailPrice100SALEPR

Blue Matrix

BlueMatrix-RetailPrice75SALEPRICE30_zpso

Radion Acro

ToxicRadion-RetailPrice150SALEPRICE80_zp

Blue Fox Chalice

BlueFoxMycediumColony3-RetailPrice100SAL

And the bane of my existence....

Another clam. I'm really crossing my fingers on this one. I'm running a ton of carbon, I have liquid phyto for feeding, and I vow to not touch or bump him while hes anchoring down.

I'll post new FTS pictures next week once things get moved around, mounted and I clear out a bunch of frags that I've made to make room for new stuff.

• Like 4