Top Shelf Aquatics

Do you still have a porcelain crab in the tank? I've read that sometimes crabs attack clams

I do not, it passed away sometime around the move to the new office building. It hid under a rock or something instead of the anemone and was never seen again.

Hey do you remember off hand how far from the top edge of the tank you drilled the holes for your bulkheads? I'm trying to plan where mine are gonna go, I have the same tank, and I know you mentioned some thing about leaving at least the diameter of the hole you are drilling from the edge to where the hole begins for placement, but it looks like your top hole is closer to the edge than that?

Oh look! RBTA on the move! Haha

Amazing tank man. Still digging it a lot.

It actually split and one of them was accidentally killed trying to remove it from the rock to resell. I'm thinking about evening selling the red and pink one and just getting a red gonipora. Less chance of killing nearby corals and I can finally put some branching sps next to the Oregon Tort.

Hey do you remember off hand how far from the top edge of the tank you drilled the holes for your bulkheads? I'm trying to plan where mine are gonna go, I have the same tank, and I know you mentioned some thing about leaving at least the diameter of the hole you are drilling from the edge to where the hole begins for placement, but it looks like your top hole is closer to the edge than that?

Ya the rule of thumb for drilling holes near an edge is 1/2 the holes diameter from the edge. In the case of the drains they are 45mm holes (1 3/4") so the edge should be 22mm from the top. I probably took a slight risk and put them just a tad higher but I knew that there would be little water pressure with the holes being at the top rather than the bottom. And for this style to work best they need to be as high as possible. I placed the screen on the bulkhead which adds a tiny bit of width, and drilled the hole so that the bulkhead screen was flush with the top rim. The return holes were an educated guess for low enough that they provide all of the tanks water motion, but not so high that they would spray water. These could be a tad higher than what I chose if you're doing the exact same thing.

stunning as always... btw do u get issues with salt creep?

Anywhere specific? I get some on my window screen cover to keep the fish in when Im away from the tank at night and weekend. Other than that there isn't much buildup of salt. The screen is pretty easy to clean with a wet paper towel wiped over the whole thing every few months.

Missed it! ? I am on an iPad and the link took me to an app to download? Is it a direct link on a computer? Really cool idea?

Ya I have a free account so the only way for anyone else to watch it is to have an account as well. I downloaded the livestream account on my iphone for this test and it worked quite well. I might invest in a Logitech 920 and let it go continuously.

The stream can still be watched as it was archived.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

That bi-colored fish looks new. Is it and addition to or a replacement?

Looks like a royal gramma to me.

Yep Royal Gramma. It is a replacement to my Purple Pseudo that passed away when I transferred to a new office building.

Yep Royal Gramma. It is a replacement to my Purple Pseudo that passed away when I transferred to a new office building.

Aw sorry to hear, I really liked that purple one. Have yet to find one at any of my LFS.