Pod Your Reef

tunze 9002 skimmer... again

Fluffeh

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
so i did the airline mod for this skimmer, and i have to say... it works WORSE than before. i really just want to break this thing and throw it away. now its not even making any foam at all.

Is the air line trapped or kinked? Is it bubbling but not foaming?

I had a bit of trouble getting mine going but after the airline mod, it was easier to dial in.

It's all about water level and air flow.

Good luck!

b171dc58.jpg

This is where I keep the bubbles set. Almost halfway up the tube. Where the dry bubbles barely overflow into the collection cup. I'm still trying to figure out the optimal level. If anyone has a better idea I would love to know.

That's where I have mine set - any less and it doesn't collect anything, much more and it needs emptying daily and is only lightly coloured skimmate.

The actual "working " bubbles are at the base of the skimmer cup. It slowly fills the tube. It takes time to build up. Higher bubble height gives a wet skimmate, lower bubble heights gives a dryer thicker skimmate.

i dont think you understand, it doesn't make any bubbles in the funnel. im going to make a video and you'll see how worthless this is

i really regret doing this 'airline mod that makes the skimmer so much better' - it broke it!

convict2161

You checked the valve? No leaks? No kinks? What type of valve did you use? How much airline hose do you have(slack)?

It should be making bubbles without a doubt. I'd like to see the video and also the setup. Also is the motor seated correctly in the housing? I just don't see the mod breaking the skimmer. And you can always go back to stock. The mod is VERY staright forward and shouldn't break the skimmer.

Please post video. And show set up an valve.

The video shows a lot of bubbles being made. It seems the Venturi is working. I'm think the water height is too low. I've been going back and forth on the PM.

Your inbox is full Fluffeh.

I slowed down my bubble production to try get a thicker darker skimmate. My working bubbles are just below the collection cup. Less water coming out so hopefully more stable salinity and water height. Don't have an ATO yet. This is about a days worth.

c2b93caf.jpg

shaneandjohn

A consistent water level is the key to this skimmer. Any evap will greatly affect the skimmers performance. Get yourself an ATO and then judge the skimmer.

Trust me, I went, thru the same thing.

convict2161

Hey bro things have been crazy at the firehouse I don't want you thinking I'm ignoring you. My shift is over at 7. When I get home I'll watch the vid and PM you. We'll figure this out I promise.

Shot in the dark. When I did the airline mod for some reason I thought the line ran through the circle cut out. Which then creates a very nice kink that you can't see when the pump is put in place. I tossed out the stock air line which is very "bendable" ( sorry, it's late and can't think of better word). The stuff I got from my lfs was black but much more stiff hence more easily kinked. I either swiveled the top of pump piece around and or just ran the line up the open area next to circle cut out. Ran like a champ then.

I've had a 9002 in my bc29 for about three years now and it took me several months of screwing with it before I got it dialed in. But once it was, it's been great. It pulls out Singlefin's #45 pic amount on my heavily stocked bc29 every couple days. If you can get it dialed in, it can be worth it's weight in gold. Just my experience and maybe some hope for you.

Other things that gave me the problems you are having:

-Water in clear elbow and or tubing that connects pump to line. Just pull it apart and physically blow out water. Put back together.

-Snail or garbage blocking up pump inlet. Disassemble and clean pump.

Just my experiences.

Nice. It can be a pain to tune until you figure it out. It's a pretty basic design. Once you understand it and all the variable that can screw it up it's pretty easy. Assuming you don't have any defective parts. Thanks for sharing. I'm sure this thread will help people set their skimmers up. Maybe even a few years down the road. I know I've read some pretty old threads theat have been helpful.

This is about three days of skimmate. Turned the bubbles down to try produce a dryer thicker skimmate. Notice all the bits stuck on the side and floating.

e92fa22e.jpg

• 3 months later...

I am new to the forum but just wanted to add that I was having the same issues and this really helped. I did the mod and it did the trick as before I was making too large of an air adjustment each time. All your comments really helped. Last night I got a nice frothy skim. Next step will be to add an ATO.

I also did something else. I have StevieT's media basket in my BC 29. The problem that I was having was that I had to add so much water to get the level right for the Tunze to work that it was starting to overflow from the front of the tank into the rear chambers and I was getting water creeping around the top of the rim.

Since the StevieT skimmer cup rests on top of the water director of the media basket I trimmed the raised channel piece of the water director to allow the skimmer cup to rest flat on top of the basket instead of the channel part (hope that makes sense). This allowed me to lower the Tunze in chamber two by~ 3/8 inch so I do not have to raise my water level quiet as high.

Right on. Welcome to the forum and addiction. I also cut my water deflector. Not just the vertical piece but also the horizontal piece with all the holes in it. The water flow would never make it to the end so it didn't matter. It allowed me to drop the skimmer and water height enough to hbe the water level below the top of the media basket. Before the media basket walls were submerged. Now I'm sure it is working better because it isolates the water flowing into the basket only. Glad this helped.

92f73718.jpg

Thanks for the welcome Singlefin! Yea I set up the tank 4 years but never took the time to learn enough to mak the tank great ....at least I hope I can make it great ;)

Separate noob to the forum question....what is he best way to track threads I have replied to. Hate to miss a question posted by another person that was directed to me.

Separate noob to the forum question....what is he best way to track threads I have replied to. Hate to miss a question posted by another person that was directed to me.

At the top of the page there is an options tab to click on. Just above the first post one the page. Click on it and you can track the thread among other things.

Isaac

Archived