ReefCleaners.org

A reef at college?

TheKleinReef

Hey guys, thanks for taking the time to click on this.

I was wondering if any of you have a small aquarium that is easy enough to maintain at college. I am dying here at school without my 30gal reef, and I was wondering how I could bring some of my reef to school with me.

So, do you guys know of any 3-10 gallon tanks that can be maintained at school.

I also want to avoid the fluval edge, because of its lack of a large opening and filtration options.

I'd like to have a kit like tank with as minimal upgrades as possible.

Thank you, and happy Reefing :D

I'm in college, and work 12hr shifts in the ER. And I have a 4g tank in my apartment. Its a finnex tank, AC70, and par30s. Pretty simple.

062.jpg

061-1.jpg

060.jpg

bryanphillips

If you are really school oriented it works, otherwise just enjoy college. I had a 5g the day I moved into my dorm, lasted about three weeks. Studying, friends, classes, and most of all partying really dont give you the time needed to stabilize a reef. I suggest a freshwater tank or nothing at all. When your hung over, you wont wana do a water change haha but if your stubborn like I would be then just do the biggest tank you can handle. 10g+ would be best because at least the stability would be on your side. Even topping off water goes out the window when you end up on a 2 day unexpected trip after being at a friends, long nights after the clubs or random road trips etc. But with that said, goodluck! Possible, just may be more than you wana deal with.

I'm in college, and work 12hr shifts in the ER. And I have a 4g tank in my apartment. Its a finnex tank, AC70, and par30s. Pretty simple.

Well there ya go, deff possible like I said just takes some dedication that alot of college kids dont wana deal with. Nice tank ^

062.jpg

061-1.jpg

060.jpg

I love this tank!!!

I'm at college and have a 20l right next to my desk. Makes it incredibly hard to study but I'm a senior and have all blow off classes to graduate so i spend a lot of time staring at it.

I'm an athlete so I don't really party at all. But I do travel sometimes so I might have to pay a friend to help me out.

I have a freshwater tank here and I hate looking at it. I feel freshwater tanks are just too green. I want some nice color.

But thanks on the opinion guys! I appreciate it.

Haha... I'm a Junior in college and have been keeping tanks the entire time. I currently have a 20L and a 40B running in my dorm... not my apartment... but my dorm. Well... it's technically a house, but I still have to move out at the end of each year.... it's a dumb system. Anyways... Definitely doable in college.

PS: I'm able to maintain 2 reefs while keeping a strong GPA, maintaining a social life, studying for the MCAT, traveling for spring break, thanksgiving, winter break, spring break, and fall break.

Not easy, but if you love it, you'll manage to find a way to happen. The greatest benefit I have is that I've been able to attract the attention of my Bio teachers. Over the summer when I'm not on campus doing research, they volunteer to maintain my tank for me. :)

Haha... I'm a Junior in college and have been keeping tanks the entire time. I currently have a 20L and a 40B running in my dorm... not my apartment... but my dorm. Well... it's technically a house, but I still have to move out at the end of each year.... it's a dumb system. Anyways... Definitely doable in college.

PS: I'm able to maintain 2 reefs while keeping a strong GPA, maintaining a social life, studying for the MCAT, traveling for spring break, thanksgiving, winter break, spring break, and fall break.

Not easy, but if you love it, you'll manage to find a way to happen. The greatest benefit I have is that I've been able to attract the attention of my Bio teachers. Over the summer when I'm not on campus doing research, they volunteer to maintain my tank for me. :)

That 20l is beautiful dude. I'm thinking smaller though. I had a 30 gal (fw) laste year and it was just too big. I'm liking that finnex.

i just ordered a par38 and i was wondering what kind of socket does it fit in. i have a desk lamp here at school, will that work? or will i need a certain type of base.

as of right now, i'm leaning toward the PicO aquariums Manta Ray model. its a square shape which i like with completely limitless lighting options.

i kept my full mixed reef at school, it was only a bc14 but i had sps and lps in there at collage. all the girls loved it, they never saw anything like it, and to add to it they all loved "nemo" it definitely got me a few more hookups. so go for it, keep your reef at college!

I have a 5.5 gallon with a 2.5 sump behind the tank and I'm in college. Not hard at all in my opinion. Kept everything simple. Water changes every week or two weeks. Feed twice, once in the morning and then before lights go off. Everything is hooked up to an RKL so temperature stays at 78* and also have an oversized heater because at night it gets cold and temperatures dropped too fast for a 50watt heater to keep up.

I think it is doable. I am in university, and while I don't live in a dorm, I do still have space restraints (I have to keep the tank small enough to fit on the fireplace hearth at my boyfriend's :P )

I am in my 3rd year and have successfully kept my 10g going for the last two semesters. I say if you are committed, go for it! Stick with things that are forgiving though, so if you do get sidetracked for a while you won't be faced with complete tank annihilation

TheKleinReef

Thanks for your opinions!

Here's my Livestock plan:

1 hammer frag (that I have already) :D

1 green star polyp frag to cover the back wall (hopefully)

1 Xenia covered rock (only on that one rock)

1 toadstool

1 plate coral from my 30 (maybe)

And as many sps as possible :) if I get sps addicted which I think I might I w might make an sps jungle. Haha

But yeah my only concern about having a reef here now is topping it off and tearing it down to bring it home every term. :/ I'll cross those bridges m pehen I come to them

For the ato I was thinking about a gravity powered ato. Like a resovouir with a tube leading to my tank and when an air bubble goes in the tube it'll fill up my tank until no more air can get it. The only problem I see with that is the aesthetics.

Thanks again guys. Check out the build thread in my signature :D!

I would say just get a ato unit. Avast is great, no way for it to get stuck on and the bracket it comes with is pretty handy at holding both the switch and the top off tubing. It will save you headaches with top offs

Archived