13 replies to this topic

JamieSheffield

JamieSheffield

10 Gallon Ghetto-Tanker

• Members
  • 505 posts
  • Joined 23 Nov 2011
  • Lake Clear, NY

I have the stuff I need to make an aquarium, and woke up this morning with the desire to try this out...

I have a leaky 10G tank, glass cutter, tape, silicone, and file...it feels as though this should be something that I can do...

Thinking about 20X6X6...taking the old aquarium apart and using the glass to make the new one...am I crazy or stupid or a genius or just cheap?

Jamie

boxboy

boxboy

Nano Reefer

• Banned by Moderators
  • 1,465 posts
  • Joined 17 Oct 2011
maybe do 20x8x8.. This way once u have an 1" of sand and the water galf inch from top. would be like 7 or 8 gallon. I love your idea tho. just make sure it dont leek when done lol

JamieSheffield

JamieSheffield

10 Gallon Ghetto-Tanker

• Members
  • 505 posts
  • Joined 23 Nov 2011
  • Lake Clear, NY

maybe do 20x8x8.. This way once u have an 1" of sand and the water galf inch from top. would be like 7 or 8 gallon. I love your idea tho. just make sure it dont leek when done lol

Better...thanks...I have a not-great fluorescent fixture from the 10G that should really light up a tank both less wide and deep...

Jamie

boxboy

boxboy

Nano Reefer

• Banned by Moderators
  • 1,465 posts
  • Joined 17 Oct 2011
what kinds of lights will you use? Im sure T5 or par bulbs would be great for a little tank. any ideas on stocing plans? sps only or lps only or mixed? I wanna start a 30long tank with all nano size fish n inverts. like 10 sexy shrimp to start lol

TinyGiant

TinyGiant

Stocking my 55g In Wall!

• Members
  • 3,226 posts
  • Joined 18 Apr 2010
  • Rochester, NH

I have the stuff I need to make an aquarium, and woke up this morning with the desire to try this out...

I have a leaky 10G tank, glass cutter, tape, silicone, and file...it feels as though this should be something that I can do...

Thinking about 20X6X6...taking the old aquarium apart and using the glass to make the new one...am I crazy or stupid or a genius or just cheap?

Jamie

thats what i did with my frag tank. i took apart a 20L and made a 30x6.5x6.5

Posted Image

Tashar59

Tashar59

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 49 posts
  • Joined 02 Feb 2012
Out of curiosity. How or what do you use to take the tank apart with. Is there a solvent that you use or just work at it with an x-acto knife. I have an old 29g with plastic frame that has the bottom of the back cracked and this looks like a nice way to salvage it into something useful.

Also TinyGiant. That looks really nice. How do you set up filtration with something like that?

Edited by Tashar59, 28 February 2012 - 10:33 PM.

lynxer

lynxer

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 116 posts
  • Joined 20 Nov 2011
Its very hard to cut 1/4" glass at home.

Good luck :]

24" x 6" x 8" tall

Posted Image

Posted Image

Jrmiller

Jrmiller

••I am the law••

• Members
  • 6,307 posts
  • Joined 01 Sep 2011
  • Medina Ohio

Its very hard to cut 1/4" glass at home.

Good luck :]

24" x 6" x 8" tall

Posted Image

Posted Image

thats a super sick build. id love to have that

logo-grey.png FOKZMSG.gif

12476890073_3f76a2c307_o.png
13792750754_50b4aac8ba_o.jpg

TinyGiant

TinyGiant

Stocking my 55g In Wall!

• Members
  • 3,226 posts
  • Joined 18 Apr 2010
  • Rochester, NH

Out of curiosity. How or what do you use to take the tank apart with. Is there a solvent that you use or just work at it with an x-acto knife. I have an old 29g with plastic frame that has the bottom of the back cracked and this looks like a nice way to salvage it into something useful.

Also TinyGiant. That looks really nice. How do you set up filtration with something like that?

i used a razor and elbow grease :P

took a little bit.

then i got a good glass scoring tap cutter thing and went at it. took a few tries with the broken side until i felt i was ready to try cutting the pieces i needed to use .

this tank is actually just for frag swaps.. but you could easily hang a filter off the back of it or have it drilled and run a sump on it

Tashar59

Tashar59

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 49 posts
  • Joined 02 Feb 2012
I lucked out. The frames came off real easy. Then I noticed that all sides were sealed around the bottom. Enough space to run the blade around the bottom and popped that out. It was just a simple lay the tank on it's side and move the top plate back and forth to break the corner seals. 15-20 mins at the most from start to finish. Hope I have as much luck cutting the glass.

lynxer

lynxer

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 116 posts
  • Joined 20 Nov 2011
measure twice cut once.

asting

asting

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 1,451 posts
  • Joined 31 Jul 2009
  • Cleveland, OH
All these super slim frag tanks make me want one!
Tiny, are you running that frag tank just at swaps, or every day?!

JaySea20

JaySea20

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 50 posts
  • Joined 13 Sep 2010

measure twice cut once.

+ curse repeatedly

jm82792

jm82792

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 2,564 posts
  • Joined 10 Mar 2008
  • Hamakua Cost,Hawaii (Big Island)
CRAP! I have to try!
I have a LED light that needs a tank.
I wonder if a 1/32" carbide endmill with water misting would work for scoring the glass......
A cheap 10 gallon glass tank from wallmart is cheaper then glass from the glass shop.

Posted Image

Well you'll always have opportunities to pay bills,
but your window for a vortech GB comes around only occasionally

My Feedback
http://www.nano-reef...amp;hl=feedback

My 29 Gallon Reef

And........
My Accelerated College Education Website
Get that college credit cheap and quick!
I've earned 59 credits for under $3,000 with college testing.