Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Ultimate Guide to Nano Coral?

ShanePike

Is there a coral equivalent to lgreen's outstanding Ultimate Guide to Nano Fish? I've picked some out for my 5.5g, but I suspect at least 1 or 2 aren't a good fit.

Nope, there isn't a guide at all. LiveAquaria.com has a few nano packages that give you an idea of corals to put into a nano. It would be easier if you gave us a list of corals that you would like to attempt so we can give you feedback on those. Mostly look at the aggressiveness and care levels of corals.

Alright, here are a few that I liked and that seemed to have potential. Of course, at least a couple were already ruled out above :)

• Red Candy Cap Montipora
  • GSP
  • Toadstool Leather
  • Birds Nest
  • Frogspawn
  • Galaxea
  • Plate Coral

I am successfully keeping Galaxea in my nano. It's only issue is the long stinging polyps that extend. If the current pushes these away from other corals I see no issue. Don't you want softies? I love Zoas and Shrooms. I have a Ricordea... it's massive. Doubled in size since I got it.

2 out of the 7 are softies at least :) I definitely find myself liking the hard corals better, but I'm not going to keep them if they're not a good fit. I've killed enough creatures already just getting into the aquarium hobby. No more.

Alright, here are a few that I liked and that seemed to have potential. Of course, at least a couple were already ruled out above :)
  • Red Candy Cap Montipora
  • GSP
  • Toadstool Leather
  • Birds Nest
  • Frogspawn
  • Galaxea
  • Plate Coral

im still pretty new to all this but this is my experience

Montipora seems to grow at a decent rate if calcium is kept up, mine exploded in growth when i started monitoring calcium

gsp grows fairly quick, which is nice. its color and movement look nice. hasnt been as invasive for me as others report

toadstool - no experience

Birdsnest - same as montipora but faster growing for me

frogsapwn - grows faster than i expected but not as fast as soft corals. needs some room cause when it fully inflates its tentacles are large, actually have mine near some xenia hoping the fs will keep it in check (it hasnt i had to frag the xenia the other night)

Galaxea - is cool, really cool but it can throw out some long sweepers, seriously saw one the other night that was close to 6in. its near the xenia too but pretty much isolated from the other coral. really the only coral i have that ive had to choose placement carefully.

never had a plate coral

in a 5.5 i would probably avoid the galaxea. frogspawn would have to be placed carefully.

Archived