10 replies to this topic

ShanePike

ShanePike

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • Joined 23 Feb 2012
  • Atlanta, GA

Is there a coral equivalent to lgreen's outstanding Ultimate Guide to Nano Fish? I've picked some out for my 5.5g, but I suspect at least 1 or 2 aren't a good fit.

sean151

sean151

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 630 posts
  • Joined 02 Sep 2008
  • Auburn/Pullman, WA
No NPS, frogspawn or hammer coral. Be careful with acros and watch when they get close to something.

PwnMe

PwnMe

What smells better? Xenia or dead bodies?

• Members
  • 597 posts
  • Joined 18 Jan 2012
Nope, there isn't a guide at all. LiveAquaria.com has a few nano packages that give you an idea of corals to put into a nano. It would be easier if you gave us a list of corals that you would like to attempt so we can give you feedback on those. Mostly look at the aggressiveness and care levels of corals.

castiel

castiel

Violence is one of the most fun things to watch.

• Members
  • 2,207 posts
  • Joined 23 Jul 2011
  • Melbourne, Australia
Just list them here, you'll get lots of advice (some useful, some not so).

ctFyi9l.gif

ShanePike

ShanePike

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • Joined 23 Feb 2012
  • Atlanta, GA
Alright, here are a few that I liked and that seemed to have potential. Of course, at least a couple were already ruled out above :)
  • Red Candy Cap Montipora
  • GSP
  • Toadstool Leather
  • Birds Nest
  • Frogspawn
  • Galaxea
  • Plate Coral

megability

megability

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 317 posts
  • Joined 29 Aug 2009
Zoanthids! :P

signature4.jpg

PwnMe

PwnMe

What smells better? Xenia or dead bodies?

• Members
  • 597 posts
  • Joined 18 Jan 2012
I am successfully keeping Galaxea in my nano. It's only issue is the long stinging polyps that extend. If the current pushes these away from other corals I see no issue. Don't you want softies? I love Zoas and Shrooms. I have a Ricordea... it's massive. Doubled in size since I got it.

ShanePike

ShanePike

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • Joined 23 Feb 2012
  • Atlanta, GA
2 out of the 7 are softies at least :) I definitely find myself liking the hard corals better, but I'm not going to keep them if they're not a good fit. I've killed enough creatures already just getting into the aquarium hobby. No more.

petkingdom619

petkingdom619

hello

• Members
  • 966 posts
  • Joined 18 Mar 2008
  • california
Palythoas. Mushrooms ricordea. Yumas. Gsp but it will spread fast. Acans
24g aquapod
20lbs fiji rock
15lbs sand
boostled par30
maxijet1200

sean151

sean151

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 630 posts
  • Joined 02 Sep 2008
  • Auburn/Pullman, WA
It will be very hard to have plate corals too as they need a lot of flat surface, it's possible but will take up precious space.

Grumblecakes

Grumblecakes

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 410 posts
  • Joined 11 Oct 2011
  • SW Montana

Alright, here are a few that I liked and that seemed to have potential. Of course, at least a couple were already ruled out above :)

• Red Candy Cap Montipora
  • GSP
  • Toadstool Leather
  • Birds Nest
  • Frogspawn
  • Galaxea
  • Plate Coral

im still pretty new to all this but this is my experience

Montipora seems to grow at a decent rate if calcium is kept up, mine exploded in growth when i started monitoring calcium
gsp grows fairly quick, which is nice. its color and movement look nice. hasnt been as invasive for me as others report
toadstool - no experience
Birdsnest - same as montipora but faster growing for me
frogsapwn - grows faster than i expected but not as fast as soft corals. needs some room cause when it fully inflates its tentacles are large, actually have mine near some xenia hoping the fs will keep it in check (it hasnt i had to frag the xenia the other night)
Galaxea - is cool, really cool but it can throw out some long sweepers, seriously saw one the other night that was close to 6in. its near the xenia too but pretty much isolated from the other coral. really the only coral i have that ive had to choose placement carefully.
never had a plate coral

in a 5.5 i would probably avoid the galaxea. frogspawn would have to be placed carefully.