Coral Vue Hydros

One Gallon All In One Reef

ganja

Hello everyone. As you can see ive been soaking up all the great info on this forum since 2008 but i finally was able to start my reef this week! The inability to buy equipment due to a sad amount of setbacks stopped me but thanks to my girlfriend buying me a recent and well thought out gift( 1 gallon glass aquarium from Mike @ Micro-reefs) im able to join you guys here. Im a beginner with no experience at all so any information to help me out is appreciated.

Equipment

Pump - rio180

Heater - tetra preset to 78

Filter Media - carbon, chemipure elite, filter sponge

post-35956-1330227682_thumb.jpg

post-35956-1330227706_thumb.jpg

Thanks James. To be honest im not sure exactly what i want yet after seeing so much variety i dont know where to start :o but all i know for now is that a want a mixed stock mainly the stronger and more forgiving types of coral. Since im a beginner i dont want to dive straight towards the stuff thats harder to keep.

Thanks Nerdman. My brothers coming down tomorrow to help me design a wood frame that surrounds the filter window and the back. Im thinking one that i could easily lift off and put back on when i need too.

Thanks Boxboy. Im hoping all goes well and i plan on keeping this going for a long time. I especially want to see it make as far as coraline encrusting the whole clear acrylic wall.

Thanks Boxboy. Im hoping all goes well and i plan on keeping this going for a long time. I especially want to see it make as far as coraline encrusting the whole clear acrylic wall.

Anytime. You should fill it diff type zoas. or lps frags.

Yea thats what im planning zoas for sure. My rockwork is kind of like stairs so on each step theres a good platform for something to grow on. Im holding off on corals till i get a light right now im using a CFL.

Im sure with such a small tank 1 bulb will be good. what kind of lights u looking into?T5 or led. or par bulbs or diy?

personialy I love my gu10 bulbs. there is a big post from tinygiant. very great read.

Ganja dont put no more pics of your tank on here ,It really makes me want one.;)That is a very cool lil tank.If my yellow watchman goby sees it I will have too buy em one.NICEI have tooooo many tanks an pets now or I would have too have one.I think a couple of sexy shrimp or pompom crabs or :P yellow watchman an host would look awsome in there.

I want to get an LED light in the future. I like the par bulbs but i want to eventually enclose everything in a wood surround/cover i plan on building for the tank. Gu10? did you make your own light with a heatsink like i see alot of here?

:lol: Thanks Gundad. I actually seen some yellow gobys at my LFS too and i was tempted. That would be a good idea maybe in the future. This tank serves as a good nightstand centerpiece!

Search GU10 bulbs in nano reef. lots of info. thay sell on ebay for about $5 each. 1blue and 1 white would do the he trick..

That sounds like a good deal Boxboy. A custom fitting light with a heatsink would be nice!

I love the distortion that the round edge creates. I wonder how trippy it would look filled with all sorts of colors of coral with an LED light. It would be like im on some magic gold cap mushrooms or something :D

post-35956-1330300470_thumb.jpg

Gu10 bulbs are like a smaller par bulb. comes with heatsink . ect. all ya need ua a socket and plug them in. $20 later and u got reef lights lol

Thanks Boxboy. Im still a little confused with the color part of it too. Im on ebay and alot of them say warm white then theres ones with cool white. Should i get one with warm and cool white? Or maybe one with blue in it too?

• 3 weeks later...

Cool white the warm whites are very yellow. Do blue and white separate so you can have them on separate plugs. I love these bulbs.

• 4 weeks later...

I took out the old ac20 sponge and bought some a big sheet of filter pad to put in its place. Its much easier because its quickly changed and disposed of. I also moved the heater to the return pump compartment which gave me more space for the chemipure elite.

post-35956-1334100012_thumb.jpg

New FTS. Still no coral but 2 hitchiker brown palys or maybe zoas? :lol: Got an emerald crab who keeps the entire area clean. Coralline algae is coming in nice and my rocks are looking better every week. Still running on a cfl and no problems yet! Planning on getting some leds soon as i get the chance.

post-35956-1334100377_thumb.jpg

post-35956-1334100488_thumb.jpg

My brother helped me make a design for a wood surround a while back but Im thinking of just using some bamboo shoots to surround the tank instead to give it a tropical look.

post-35956-1334100910_thumb.jpg

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Ganga,

Looks like my Micro-Reefs LLC family have come in to greet you.... Take their advice as they are experienced reefers and love to chime in when they see a true pico!

When working with a Micro-Reefs pico every inch counts! You have cleverly used our 1.6 glass tank to it's fullest!

I will let you answer the question on the dims of this tank! ;)

Archived