Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

When to feed corals?

wyattroa

When is everyone feeding the corals.. I have a mix of soft, lps, and sps...I currently feed oyster feast the same time I feed my fish which is around noon.. Is this a bad method? I have been reading right before lights off or after lights off...

Robert

probably doesnt matter too much .. but some lps will be more open at night in a feeding mode. but the micro foods will be filter fed so it probably doesnt matter much

altolamprologus

Depends on the coral, but for the most part they will eat whenever you give them food. I feed oysterfeast and rotifeast when I feed the fish (with pumps off) as well as frozen food for the LPS at the same time as the fish. I feed my NPS several times a day as well as at night, regardless of whether or not I'm feeding the fish at that time.

• 3 weeks later...
BlancheGrace

I normally use to feed my Wellsophyllia at night because that's when its feeders are out. My bubble likes to be fed during the day. Meat coral would put feeders out whenever I fed the tank, so anytime is good for him. For the filter feeders, I rotate DT's, Tahitian Blend Cryopaste, and 20-80 micron golden pearls each day, also alternating day and night feeding.

Like everyone else said it all depends what you have.

I can feed my bubble coral, acans, and frogspawn at almost any time but my brain and all my sps seem to respond best 2 or more hours after the lights go off.

Play around and see when you get the best feeding responses

Archived