12 replies to this topic

jaynkeel

jaynkeel

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 282 posts
  • Joined 03 Mar 2010
  • Buffalo, NY

Ok hopefully someone can explain this to me unless it's just for the sake of selling more units then it's self explanatory. Why in this day and age does the RKL only come with 4 controllable outlets in the kit? Even just one more outlet would make a world of difference. Just a minor complaint I suppose, I really love the unit just am always frustrated when setting up a new tank that seems to usually need 5,6 outlets not 4 or 8 ? Especially at the cost of adding an additional power strip, if they were priced say 45- 50 dollars perhaps I could justify but not at current prices.

Mojorizn

Mojorizn

Gavaland

• Members
  • 2,236 posts
  • Joined 20 Sep 2005
  • Corpus Christi TX
Heard. I think it's because they have no idea what the user is gonna plug in. Ya don't wanna exceed the max of the strip.....

Could be just a couple T5's and a heater .... could be a couple 250 MH + T5's +Heater ....ya never know.
They do come with a fuse .... and would be nice if the $$ per was lower.
I feel your pain .... I have 3 of the strips and a regular strip as well.
Mojo's 65 RR MH+T5 *Thinking of LED*
Mojo's 40 retired
Fun with Google Sketchup
RLK Dosing Programs
It's not the plant ... it's the laws

"The longer I wait, the more I learn and the more $$ I save."
"Por que la leche queste mas, que los huevos...."

siwelk

siwelk

The Token Reefer

• Members
  • 4,981 posts
  • Joined 06 May 2004
  • The Hoosier State

Why in this day and age does the RKL only come with 4 controllable outlets in the kit?

RKL - Reefkeeper Lite

Lite

If you had 8 outlets, you'd have an elite.

Edited by siwelk, 22 February 2012 - 02:31 PM.

jaynkeel

jaynkeel

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 282 posts
  • Joined 03 Mar 2010
  • Buffalo, NY

RKL - Reefkeeper Lite

Lite

No I want one for my 28 gallon nanocube. Lets count the plugs here and this is totally realistic in todays fishtank world. Heater, eco-tech mp10, 2 rear compartment returns (sump pump if not a nanocube). Now what should I plug my lights into since I bought this fancy piece of equipment to "control" my tank and would like to use the lighting timers. I have my blue leds and my white leds that I would like to control separately? So there is another 2 outlets I need. See my point and I am no where even close to exceeding the limit of a standard 15amp wall outlet or powerstrip. And why do I need to spend all the extra $$ on an elite? So I can purchase one of their salinity probes that have been out of exsistance for well over a year? Or how about a ph probe that many will tell you is useless anyways? Or maybe those moonlights that require yet another plug and extension to the unit that costs money? Don't get me wrong I absolutely love their product, but at the same time the pricing on some of the stuff like the essentials is a bit high. Sorry but an additional power strip should never cost 3/4 of the whole kit. But in all reality I think just like every other powerstrip you purchase nowdays is at least 6 plug so should theirs. Do you see where I am coming from?

siwelk

siwelk

The Token Reefer

• Members
  • 4,981 posts
  • Joined 06 May 2004
  • The Hoosier State

No I want one for my 28 gallon nanocube. Lets count the plugs here and this is totally realistic in todays fishtank world. Heater, eco-tech mp10, 2 rear compartment returns (sump pump if not a nanocube). Now what should I plug my lights into since I bought this fancy piece of equipment to "control" my tank and would like to use the lighting timers. I have my blue leds and my white leds that I would like to control separately? So there is another 2 outlets I need. See my point and I am no where even close to exceeding the limit of a standard 15amp wall outlet or powerstrip. And why do I need to spend all the extra $ on an elite? So I can purchase one of their salinity probes that have been out of exsistance for well over a year? Or how about a ph probe that many will tell you is useless anyways? Or maybe those moonlights that require yet another plug and extension to the unit that costs money? Don't get me wrong I absolutely love their product, but at the same time the pricing on some of the stuff like the essentials is a bit high. Sorry but an additional power strip should never cost 3/4 of the whole kit. But in all reality I think just like every other powerstrip you purchase nowdays is at least 6 plug so should theirs. Do you see where I am coming from?

You're basically arguing that DA should include an 8 outlet power strip with the RKL.
I think part of the reason it is the 'Lite' model, is that it only comes with 4 outlets.

You're paying for the ability to control outlets.

Edited by siwelk, 22 February 2012 - 03:17 PM.

solefald

solefald

Nigerian Prince

• Members
  • 766 posts
  • Joined 16 Jan 2012
  • San Diego, CA

RKL - Reefkeeper Lite

Lite

Apex AquaController Lite comes with 8.

4 outlets is a joke. I have 3 lights + fans that require another power source (Rapid LED Retrofit), 2 power heads, 2 heaters, a return pump, a skimmer (not yet instaled) and a fuge light. Thats 10 outlets that need to be controlled + 1 that does not. 11 total.

My bet goes to "make more money" idea...

Edited by solefald, 22 February 2012 - 03:28 PM.

jaynkeel

jaynkeel

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 282 posts
  • Joined 03 Mar 2010
  • Buffalo, NY
I would have thought the head unit was the expensive part of the package, looks like it's the outlets that are. I am just saying weather or not you chose the lite or the elite they should come with at least what you would find on a regular powerstrip. And no I am not refering to those crazy 20 outlet home theater strips. The basic point I am trying to get at is 4 outlets is no where near enough for even a basic reef system, unless it's a pico tank. So once again why the extremely high price of $90 for an additional powerstrip when you could buy a whole second lite setup for $30 more? It just doesn't make sense to me is all. And I thought it was considered a lite model because of not having the more elaborate features like net and not to mention a totally different looking interface.

siwelk

siwelk

The Token Reefer

• Members
  • 4,981 posts
  • Joined 06 May 2004
  • The Hoosier State

True.

However, we're in the DA forum, discussing the RK product line.

If you need more than 4 outlets, stop looking at the RKL or buy another PC4.

The basic point I am trying to get at is 4 outlets is no where near enough for even a basic reef system, unless it's a pico tank.

You just contradicted your own point.
Are pico owners not allowed to create a market for 4 outlet controllers?

Edited by siwelk, 22 February 2012 - 03:39 PM.

jaynkeel

jaynkeel

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 282 posts
  • Joined 03 Mar 2010
  • Buffalo, NY

4 outlets is a joke. I have 3 lights + fans that require another power source (Rapid LED Retrofit), 2 power heads, 2 heaters, a return pump, a skimmer (not yet instaled) and a fuge light. Thats 10 outlets that need to be controlled + 1 that does not. 11 total.

Thank you thats what I was trying to figure out. And in this economy it would behoove them to add a little to gain a lot more customers, even if they had to raise the price point by 20 or 30 dollars. In the end it's the consumers that use the product and I am willing to bet a lot of others have pondered the same thing as me.

True.

However, we're in the DA forum, discussing the RK product line.

If you need more than 4 outlets, stop looking at the RKL or buy another PC4.

You just contradicted your own point.
Are pico owners not allowed to create a market for <4 outlet controllers?

But it has never been marketed for pico tanks that I know of? I always thought it was supposed to just be a more basic version of the elite for people who didn't need to control dosing equipment and all sorts of multiple tank setups. It was intended as a lite weight model for the basic controlling of a reef tank, which it cannot do with only 4 outlets, I don't know how else to explain that point better?

siwelk

siwelk

The Token Reefer

• Members
  • 4,981 posts
  • Joined 06 May 2004
  • The Hoosier State

It was intended as a lite weight model for the basic controlling of a reef tank, which it cannot do with only 4 outlets, I don't know how else to explain that point better?

Basic control?

1x heater
1x return
1x T5 14K
1x T5 actinic

Boom.

Basically controlling my temp, photo-period and return.

Digital Aquatics

Digital Aquatics

Nano Reefer

• Sponsor
  • 158 posts
  • Joined 20 Mar 2009
  • Seattle, WA

You're comparing apples to oranges on that one. The ReefKeeper Lite is meant to be an entry-level controller. If you're going to look for a comparison, the other companies "jr" model is where to look @ $149.99 vs our $119.99. Similar feature set with a different interface option included. (Display - us, network - them).

The 4 outlets vs 6 or 8 is what allows us to offer an expandable controller for $119.99. If we built more outlets into the system it would cost more. Also, while your instal(s) might be different, the majority of our customers really like the 4 outlet strips as it allows for maximum flexibility of installation. Also offering more options in power strips would effectively make all the power strips cost more because we build we volume, if we sold fewer of different strips they would each cost more and intern, cost our customers more. That's completely against what we're trying to do with the ReefKeeper line of controller. We're looking to offer the most cost effective solution we can.

Also to address your one short plug issue in your other post...

You can combine the two returns onto a single plug and control them as one I'm assuming they run together given a typical instal (just guessing there). That frees up a plug for you so you can plug in your lights. As long as you don't excess the listed per channel limit (and total strip limit) you're completely ok doing that! :D

Great post! I hope my input has help everyone better understands our approach!

Scott
DA
The next generation in advanced aquarium controller!
www.digitalaquatics.com

jaynkeel

jaynkeel

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 282 posts
  • Joined 03 Mar 2010
  • Buffalo, NY
Thank you for replying so quickly Scott. Like I said I absolutely love your product and have had no troubles with it. Your response clears most of that up for me except the pricing of the extra strips? I mean at 3/4 the price of the initial unit thats a hard chunk to swallow. But if the powerstip is the majority of the cost of the system then I guess it is what it is. But from a consumer standpoint I will say that I'd gladly pay $150 -$165 for a complete lite system with full 8 outlets. Which would still keep you below competition and satisfy I would guess many like myself who have probably wondered the same. Perhaps one of these days it could be offered in an 8 outlet setup without breaking the $200 mark.

solefald

solefald

Nigerian Prince

• Members
  • 766 posts
  • Joined 16 Jan 2012
  • San Diego, CA

You're comparing apples to oranges on that one. The ReefKeeper Lite is meant to be an entry-level controller. If you're going to look for a comparison, the other companies "jr" model is where to look @ $149.99 vs our $119.99. Similar feature set with a different interface option included. (Display - us, network - them).

Correct, but I would say that a display is less important... unless, of course, there is no other easy way to configure the controller. For me, personally, Net+email alerts+web interface configuration are way more important than having a display that won't let me know when things go bad. Apples and Oranges, yes.

Sorry, im not here to bash you, but DA, you should probably update your website. You lost my businеss simply because nowhere on your site i was able to find any information about controlling your units remotely. From what I understand, this feature was added months ago, yet I found 0 information about it. Oh yeah, that and a "small" issue of myReef not being OSX compatible.

You should probably make manuals available on the forums without forcing people to register too. Just a suggestion.

NOTE: I did not come into this subforum to bash on anyone. I mostly use "View New Posts" link which shows all new posts in all subforums

Edited by solefald, 22 February 2012 - 04:05 PM.