5 replies to this topic

Fel

Fel

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 126 posts
  • Joined 27 Feb 2011
  • SF Bay Area

I checked out my aquarium with the lights off and found this guy on a cerith snail up by the water line. Is he a welk? I had some nassarius snails before ago but they all disappeared several months ago. Most of my other snails don't seem to last very long either. I blamed a hermit crab but I wonder if it was this guy?

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0026.JPG
  • IMG_0025.JPG

Edited by Fel, 21 February 2012 - 04:28 AM.

Biocube 14g, 3 yr, 2 o'clowns, pistol shrimp (RIP YWG), feather duster, hammer, duncan, acans, blasto, palys/zoas, trumpet, scolly, red shrums.

halcyonism

halcyonism

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 273 posts
  • Joined 12 Oct 2011
  • Yakima, WA
From what I can see it looks like a nassarius to me, but check out this link for more information.

http://www.melevsree...ts_a_whelk.html

Fel

Fel

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 126 posts
  • Joined 27 Feb 2011
  • SF Bay Area
thanks. I had checked a couple website and couldn't make heads or tails of how to tell the difference. That one was actually clear and concise.

I think it is a whelk since he has the pad on his tail and there is a pattern on his snout.

Biocube 14g, 3 yr, 2 o'clowns, pistol shrimp (RIP YWG), feather duster, hammer, duncan, acans, blasto, palys/zoas, trumpet, scolly, red shrums.

halcyonism

halcyonism

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 273 posts
  • Joined 12 Oct 2011
  • Yakima, WA
Glad that I could be of help.

not_so_nano

not_so_nano

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 228 posts
  • Joined 09 Feb 2012
Best way to tell, drop a snail in there with him and see :D

Fel

Fel

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 126 posts
  • Joined 27 Feb 2011
  • SF Bay Area
I did think of that.