Top Shelf Aquatics

Can I divide up the Chemi Pure bag it came in?

Rollenbor

The bag of Chemi Pure is too big for my media basket and I only need about half. It says not to divide it up under any circumstances. I have another mesh bag so can I just put in what I need?

I did not see those instructions haha. I've got a media bag that I've been swapping out portions of chemi pure in. It's working so far, but maybe there's a reason. Can someone else chime in?

I'm not sure about the regular chemi pure as I've always used the elite. But I never broke it up since it was a mixture of more then one chemical in the pouch and I couldn't possibly judge the amount of each that I was transferring over. I always wanted to be sure I was getting the full benefit of the product.

I'm not sure about the regular chemi pure as I've always used the elite. But I never broke it up since it was a mixture of more then one chemical in the pouch and I couldn't possibly judge the amount of each that I was transferring over. I always wanted to be sure I was getting the full benefit of the product.

I'm not sure if i have the elite or not, but mine is all mixed together. It seems fair to assume that the concentration is pretty uniform, because they had to separate batches into individual bags in the first place.

I think, and don't quote me on this, that chemipure is very fine and it would be hard to find a mesh bag that would contain it. You could end up with a black storm in your tank. probably wouldn't hurt anything, but it would be a pain to get rid of.

This is all speculation though.

Yeah I considered that, but I think the mesh of my replacement bags was actually finer than the original.

I do have some gunk that has collected in my sand, but I'm thinking mainly snail poop.

Hahaha!! I didnt wanna risk it. I just cut out one of the chambers in my media basket. So there were 3 chambers so I cut 1 of the slots out to have 1 big chamber and 1 small. My tank has 2 inlets with 2 baskets. My left basket has a big chamber with Chemi Pure and the small one on the bottom has filter floss. My right has Cheato in the big one and Purigen in the small one one the bottom.

I only use half

the little plastic band that keeps it together can be opened if you hold the 'button' down in the little thingy that keeps it locked

then I just pour the other half back into the container

when you need to switch you just do the same process

edit: this thing

zip-ties.jpg

I only use half

the little plastic band that keeps it together can be opened if you hold the 'button' down in the little thingy that keeps it locked

A zip tie you mean.

zip-ties.jpg

DO NOT BREAK IT UP!

It can cause your water to become so dry that it can spontaneously combust at the worst moment.

hi and welcome to StevieT v. 2008

I did :mellow:

I am still waiting for my water to become dry and spontaneous combust like Steve said.

And when it happens, He shall be there to say "IToldYaSO"

• 3 weeks later...
I only use half

zip-ties.jpg

This is a level of genius that rarely shows itself on these forums.

Thanks for the great idea.

Now how would I do the same with purigen?

This is a level of genius that rarely shows itself on these forums.

Thanks for the great idea.

Now how would I do the same with purigen?

lol I cant tell if youre making fun of me or not

I have no experience with with purigen but I didnt think it came prepackaged a la chemipure

It can cause your water to become so dry that it can spontaneously combust at the worst moment.

I always wondered what caused my tank to do that, now I know. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

+1 for opening up that bag and splitting the amount into two bags. Hasn't hurt anything that I have.

Those guys are just joking about the water spontaneously combusting, the fish are a different story though...

• 2 weeks later...

Archived