9 replies to this topic

civickm

civickm

iReefer

• Members
  • 584 posts
  • Joined 07 Dec 2006
  • Denver Tech Center, CO

This is a tank at the Waikiki Aquarium in Honolulu. Its so cool the water overflows the entire tank and uses real sunlight for the clams. That center clam is huge!

Posted Image

http://www.waquarium...iant-clams.html

Edit: for spelling since I suck at it :D

Edited by civickm, 20 February 2012 - 09:48 AM.

event.png

nimavafi

nimavafi

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 109 posts
  • Joined 26 Feb 2010
  • LA, CA

This is a tank at the Waikiki Aquarium in Honolulu. Its so cool the water overflows the entire tank and uses real sunlight for the calms. That center calm is huge!

<a href="
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a145/civickm/Trips/Waikiki%20Aquarium/BigClams-1.jpg" target="_blank">Posted Image</a>

http://www.waquarium...iant-clams.html

Zeroedge aquariums. Pretty cool stuff, but it will destroy your wallet. And you gotta clean both sides of the glass :D

Deckoz2302

Deckoz2302

Stony Reefer

• Members
  • 6,087 posts
  • Joined 29 Aug 2011
  • Raleigh, North Carolina
Zero edge aquariums are a double edged sword lol...price and cleaning both side...pacific east aquaculture has one its cool. A clam biotope like that would be cool though

OceanariumProject_zpsdcf024fc.jpg

21093r53

21093r53

College Reefer

• Members
  • 2,139 posts
  • Joined 15 Jul 2011
  • Maryland
Ehh they are cool in theory but not longevity
25 cube
250wt Radium 20k, 4 x 24w giesemann actinic+, 16 x 6wt 420nm leds
asm g1-x
50wt ebo heater
SP 3000 powered by JBJ ATO
Deltec GFO reactor
Deltec carbon reactor
Aquamedic triple reef doser
RKL, sl1, net

any questions?

Baltimore Area Reef Hobbyists

feedback can be seen here...http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=302303

HecticDialectics

HecticDialectics

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 44,390 posts
  • Joined 25 Oct 2006
It looks like a display tank at a LFS selling baby clams? Can't possibly be too hard to set up...

picOnly

picOnly

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 171 posts
  • Joined 10 Jun 2011
  • Franktown, CO
It's easy enough to do, but do you want to deal with the maintenance? If so all you really need to do is put a rimless tank inside a slightly larger tank, and suspend it so that the bottom of the display meets the "sump" water level. Now build a top for your stand that covers the lower tank and leaves an appropriate gap around the display. Then drill the bottom panel for your return line(s). Make sure it's all PERFECTLY level, and open a thread!

I've always thought a cylinder/column tank of this fashion would be really cool, no corners would take zero-edge to a whole new level! Hope that you at least give it a shot, I'd really like to see it happen.

civickm

civickm

iReefer

• Members
  • 584 posts
  • Joined 07 Dec 2006
  • Denver Tech Center, CO
well if I was going to do this i would have siwelk clean it :D :D but I have seen a tank like this done in Florida for fresh water as a above ground pond part of his zen garden. The guy still has it and its still just as nice when he built it 15 years ago. One issue he ran in to was making sure it was leveled correctly and when a hurricane hits lol

event.png

picOnly

picOnly

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 171 posts
  • Joined 10 Jun 2011
  • Franktown, CO

well if I was going to do this i would have siwelk clean it :D :D but I have seen a tank like this done in Florida for fresh water as a above ground pond part of his zen garden. The guy still has it and its still just as nice when he built it 15 years ago. One issue he ran in to was making sure it was leveled correctly and when a hurricane hits lol

That sounds awesome. Do you halve access to any pictures?

civickm

civickm

iReefer

• Members
  • 584 posts
  • Joined 07 Dec 2006
  • Denver Tech Center, CO

That sounds awesome. Do you halve access to any pictures?

I can reach out to my friend in Florida and see if my old neighbor will let him take pictures. The guy is a bit off :D

event.png

picOnly

picOnly

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 171 posts
  • Joined 10 Jun 2011
  • Franktown, CO

I can reach out to my friend in Florida and see if my old neighbor will let him take pictures. The guy is a bit off :D

A guy with a pond that sweet can't be too off.