Cultivated Reef

Organic Waste

dasickle

Hello,

I setup a 3g pico tank about a year ago and I am very happy with the way everything is going so far except for one thing. I can not get rid of the white film on the surface of the tank which I assume is the byproduct of organic waste. All my corals are doing great and growing fast. I add about 1 coral a month and so far my tank has 2 small zoa's, 3 mushroom colonies, 1 leather coral, 2 small turbo snails, 1 hermit crab, bali starfish and no fish. So I dont think that I am overloading the tank.

I do regular water changes (1g/every 3-4 days), change my filter media every 2 weeks. I also started using active carbon which I hope will help with the issue. I have my powerhead directed at the surface. So I think I am doing everything right and yet I am still having the issue. I know that some might people think adding a skimmer is the solution but wouldn't it be an overkill for a 3g tank? Wont it take out all of the minerals from the water? Any ideas?

--best

D

I have aquaclear20 filter. I took out the media it came with and replaced it with mesh bag of active carbon from marineland and some fine filter media. I also have about 12 pounds of LR and about 2inch sandbed. Live sand came from a very established system.

altolamprologus
I have aquaclear20 filter. I took out the media it came with and replaced it with mesh bag of active carbon from marineland and some fine filter media. I also have about 12 pounds of LR and about 2inch sandbed. Live sand came from a very established system.

You can make your own surface skimmer if the film bugs you.

I am not really interested in a skimmer. I want to fine a solution that doesnt require any additional mechanical equipment. There has to be a way to get it done.

altolamprologus
I am not really interested in a skimmer. I want to fine a solution that doesnt require any additional mechanical equipment. There has to be a way to get it done.

That's not a protein skimmer. It just takes the film off the surface. You can do it manually with paper towels, but that's kind of a PITA.

That's not a protein skimmer. It just takes the film off the surface. You can do it manually with paper towels, but that's kind of a PITA.

That is kind of what I have been doing and it makes the tank look better but its just a "cosmetic" solutions. I am looking for a way to get the organic waste filtered better so I dont have the film on the surface again.

Without adequate surface skimming and agitation that film will all ways be there. It's not just an organics issue, dust and other things of that nature collect at the surface. If you modify the aquaclear ( I've seen it done with large pill bottles) to have a surface skimmer, the problem should be solved.

Archived