Cultivated Reef

Questions about a Pico Reef

SfdPiggy

I have had a 30g reef for about 5 years now. I'm thinking about starting a small 5g pico reef to put on a counter top.

I'm looking for a small tank (anywhere from 5 - 10 gallons) that has a built in filter (Like a biocube) I really liked the BioCube 8, but they don't make them anymore. Do you guys know of any pico reef tanks that I can buy online?

And also, what type of lighting do you guys use on your pico reef. I switched to LEDs on my 30gallon, because my 200W power-compact got too hot (80 - 85 degrees) I would like LED for the my pico reef, whats your opinion? And how hard is it to keep SPS in such a small tank?

I think your best bet would be either a 5.5 gallon from any big box stores and put in a false wall made from acrylic or I hear the Innovative Marine's are very nice for their price.

Their 4 gallon runs about $130-150 and their 8 is in the $200. They have a built in filtration system but I think the light would leave you wanting more.

I would personally go the diy route and get a Par30 from Boostled. It is a little more work, but you will have less upgrades in the future since the biggest part is the light.

I personally like the ecopico if you really have to have it come with a filter, HOWEVER I think that the mr aqua 7.5 gallon is a better looking tank itself and its just a tad bit bigger

Here is the ecopico

ecopico

eco-platy-master.jpg

mr aqua

Mr.-Aqua-7.5-Gallon-Frameless-Glass-Aquarium-Tank-12-x-12-x-12-Inch-w-Stand-99.jpg

I think your best bet would be either a 5.5 gallon from any big box stores and put in a false wall made from acrylic or I hear the Innovative Marine's are very nice for their price.

Their 4 gallon runs about $130-150 and their 8 is in the $200. They have a built in filtration system but I think the light would leave you wanting more.

I would personally go the diy route and get a Par30 from Boostled. It is a little more work, but you will have less upgrades in the future since the biggest part is the light.

I'm fine with DIY. Can I keep SPS like acros under the Par30 Bulbs?

you could keep some of the easier ones. check par values and see where in the tank SPS would be happiest at. also check how high you have to suspend the light. it could mean the difference between having great colored SPS and faded-looking ones.

If I could start over all over, I would go with a picoaquariums.com and a Par30 or 38 bulb (depending on tank size) for convenience and a sweet looking set up. Not a fan of the HOB stuff.

If I could start over all over, I would go with a picoaquariums.com and a Par30 or 38 bulb (depending on tank size) for convenience and a sweet looking set up. Not a fan of the HOB stuff.

And a high price tag too!

DIY is the way to get the best value and get exactly what you're looking for in an aquarium. I built my 5.5 and it went pretty well (with the exception of the painting which was difficult in the winter).

And a high price tag too!

DIY is the way to get the best value and get exactly what you're looking for in an aquarium. I built my 5.5 and it went pretty well (with the exception of the painting which was difficult in the winter).

True the price is high, but this hobby is everything but inexpensive. Personally, I could never match the quality of work of a high end production tank, especially without buying a bunch of tools. It all depends on your situation.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived