Coral Vue Hydros

New to the forums

armando

Hey guys! My name is Armando and I am new to the forums. I am just getting back into aquariums after a 6 year hiatus. I used to own a 75 Gallon Reef tank and just bought a JBJ 6 Gallon NANO CUBE for my boys. I hope to get some advice, tips and feedback from you all. Here is what I have so far. The tank was just setup a few hours ago. I have the stock lights and pump.

8lbs of Fiji Live Rock (Uncured)

10lbs of Live Sand.

4.4 Gallons of live salt water.

Still waiting on the sand to settle.

Tank.jpg

:welcome: back

Thanks!

I have a question on the lighting. MY LFS told me that I could not have any hard corals with the current light setups and the specs on the tank also say so. Are there any bulbs or light kits I can buy to be able to have these in the tank?

"for my boys"........ C'mon. Welcome.

Haha

If those are PC Lights, which I am assuming they are. Definitely no hard coral, more like standard softies and/or low light LPS such as frogspawns and "candy cane" coral.

I am obviously going to suggest LEDs if you want hard coral, but others have had great success with Metal Halides (which come with high power consumption + heat) and/or T5's (which may be too big/long for this size tank).

Hope this helps.

And... I just saw you are in Pines! Me too, but soon moving over to Cooper City!

"for my boys"........ C'mon. Welcome.

Ok. You got me. Thanks! LOL

Haha

If those are PC Lights, which I am assuming they are. Definitely no hard coral, more like standard softies and/or low light LPS such as frogspawns and "candy cane" coral.

I am obviously going to suggest LEDs if you want hard coral, but others have had great success with Metal Halides (which come with high power consumption + heat) and/or T5's (which may be too big/long for this size tank).

Hope this helps.

Yeah they are definitely PC's. Do you know of any LED kits that would retrofit this tank kit?

If you are looking to retrofit into the current canopy, there are many DIY threads here on Nano-Reef with information where to order and how to set them up. Quick search should bring up several threads.

Btw, where did you pick up the tank?

Tons of lighting mods and choices you can choose from. Leds as mentioned are the most popular, lots of DYI's going on around here. Go topless with either LEDs or halides, all depends on your corals you plan to keep.

If you are looking to retrofit into the current canopy, there are many DIY threads here on Nano-Reef with information where to order and how to set them up. Quick search should bring up several threads.

Btw, where did you pick up the tank?

Cool. Thanks! I picked up the tank at Beverly's. It isn't too far from my house and I used to get a lot of stuff from them before. I also used to buy from Bernard ( I dont remember the name of the shop but I know that it was off of Miramar Pkwy and Flamingo). I wonder if his shop is still there.

Tons of lighting mods and choices you can choose from. Leds as mentioned are the most popular, lots of DYI's going on around here. Go topless with either LEDs or halides, all depends on your corals you plan to keep.

Not sure if I want to go topless. I am not sure if my wife will be ok with an eyesore.

this is going to be the "boys" tank and you're going to "have" to setup your 75g again. I have panorama pro leds in my 29g. very easy to setup. the lighting possibilities are endless depending on your budget and skills.

Cool. Thanks! I picked up the tank at Beverly's. It isn't too far from my house and I used to get a lot of stuff from them before. I also used to buy from Bernard ( I dont remember the name of the shop but I know that it was off of Miramar Pkwy and Flamingo). I wonder if his shop is still there.

Not sure if I want to go topless. I am not sure if my wife will be ok with an eyesore.

I live on Hiatus and Pines right now, just down the street from Beverly's.

I know Bernard, haven't seen him in a couple years and I am not sure if his store is still there. I believe he stayed doing his reptile thing and just servicing tanks, I don't believe in the same location though, but I could be wrong.

diy leds would look sick. nice start man :D

I will look into LED's. I'm really crafty and mechanically inclined. Chances are I will put some LED's together and make something crazy. Thanks!

this is going to be the "boys" tank and you're going to "have" to setup your 75g again. I have panorama pro leds in my 29g. very easy to setup. the lighting possibilities are endless depending on your budget and skills.

HAHAHA! I'm not doing the big tank thing again. I don't have the time for a large tank like that. Between cycling, my fraternity, work and my kids, it would be careless to own a tank that big. Maybe later on in the future but as of right now, I don't see it as a possibility.

I live on Hiatus and Pines right now, just down the street from Beverly's.

I know Bernard, haven't seen him in a couple years and I am not sure if his store is still there. I believe he stayed doing his reptile thing and just servicing tanks, I don't believe in the same location though, but I could be wrong.

I live off of Johnson and Douglas.

I will probably drive by Bernard's old place and see if he is still there. Hopefully he is. He had killer prices on Coral.

Have you been to coral kingdom on Douglas? I personally haven't but I heard they have some decent deals and there are a couple locals by us With some awesome frags. Some very cheap, some very expensive, but ridiculous.

Let me know about Bernard, would be cool to see him.

Have you been to coral kingdom on Douglas? I personally haven't but I heard they have some decent deals and there are a couple locals by us With some awesome frags. Some very cheap, some very expensive, but ridiculous.

Let me know about Bernard, would be cool to see him.

No I have not been. I gotta check em out. I will have check out the locals as well. Maybe I can barter with some of the locals. My wife is going to start hating me when I start spending money. I am a pro photographer and graphic designer.

No I have not been. I gotta check em out. I will have check out the locals as well. Maybe I can barter with some of the locals. My wife is going to start hating me when I start spending money. I am a pro photographer and graphic designer.

Nice! Maybe we can work something out. I need some photos taken soon, very soon. I am a web designer myself, but with the amount of work I have on my plate right now, always good to have someone on hand. When you get a chance, PM me your portfolio.

Nice! Maybe we can work something out. I need some photos taken soon, very soon. I am a web designer myself, but with the amount of work I have on my plate right now, always good to have someone on hand. When you get a chance, PM me your portfolio.

Ill put together a private portfolio and send it to you. Everything I had up on sites had to be taken down to ligitation issues with my insurance company. PM me your email address and contact info.

Hopefully my tank cycles soon. I would love to get some zoa's in there and get my kids a fish or two. I was think of a perc clown and possiblu a small firefish or goby. Any suggestions on fish I can get for the tank? I know its a tiny tank and I should be cautious. Thanks guys!

Well today is the first day of me officially hating this hobby. Being away from this hobby for so long has made me a complete noob. Please help me out as I have forgot everything. Day number 2 and this is my readings:

Salinity= 1.026

Ammonia= .25

Nitrite =2.0

Nitrate= 0

pH= 7.8

I have since put seachem prime water conditioner and also an Immediate Water Cycling Kit to help speed up the cycling process. I am going to be doing a reef with fish setup. What should be my next steps? Thanks!

:: Should I just post this in a different section of the forums?

Temp = 79.3

Ammonia = 0

Nitrite = 0

Nitrate = 0

pH=7.8

Salinity = 1.026

Is this because I put the prime and cycling kit? I am still weary of putting livestock in. Any suggestions?

• 4 weeks later...

Here is an update of my tank.

Stock PC lighting,

2 Clowns

1 Brain

1 Hammer Coral

2 small GSP's

6 different types of zoa's

Striped Blue Mushrooms

2 Trochus Snails

1 Baby Trochus I discovered a couple of weeks ago

3 Blue Legged Hermits

6994636869_b4862d562d_z.jpg

Pretty tank. Been a while since you posted on here!

Glad it's going well, do you still plan on upgrading to LED's :huh:

Thanks. yes I still plan on going LED but my shoe addiction has put a hold on it. LOL too many Jordan Releases and my wife isnt happy.

I have a quick question. My dKH=15 and my Calcium=520. Any idea how i can bring that down? I am going to try a water change this week but I keep getting mixed suggestions from people. Some say just let it go down on its own others say water change. Thanks in advance.

Archived